iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Boiler Pump Questions - Taco 009?

Started by LegendsCreekFarm, July 01, 2016, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendsCreekFarm

Hey everyone.  I am just beginning my plumbing install for my Central Boiler and I had a few quick questions about which pump to choose.

I ran 1" thermopex from my boiler, through my shop, down into the ground on the other side of the shop and then across to my house basement. The guy at the boiler dealer said they sell ONLY Taco 009's for circulating the water  from the boiler to the building.

I read before about calculating head to find out which pump you need, but the dealer said that is complete overkill. I am going to be running 3 different buildings to my boiler and I would rather get the same pump for each building.

Is there a standard pump that moves a lot of GPM?   Is the 009 good for this even with a long run or can I spend more and get a better pump that will work in most situations?

Also, I am choosing to install the pumps in the buildings rather than on the boiler and was wondering if the pump should be on the boiler supply or return in my basements?

Thanks a lot!

Gearbox

how many feet of pex total ? how many elbows ? how much do you have to lift above water leval of the boiler ?  Lift is only for start up but you may have trouble getting started . answer these questions and someone will help you .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

r.man

Pump should be on the line coming from the OWB. (supply) I have mine in a basement that is lower than my OWB so I never have a priming problem. My friend had his on the main floor, no basement, which was higher than his OWB and he had terrible priming problems until he shifted it to the back of the OWB. Not sure about pump sizes, every system I know is so simple anything will work.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LegendsCreekFarm

Thanks you both for the responses.   

The first time I am installing is to my main house.  The 1" lines leave the boiler and go underground to my shop, then into the floor of my shop, up to the 8 foot ceiling, across the ceiling and down the other side of the shop.  Out the floor and into the ground and over to my basement which is below where the boiler is installed, but I am not sure if because I ran the line up to my shop ceiling it will be an issue?  The lift to get it to the shop ceiling from where the boiler stands outside the shop is no more than a few feet.

I haven't decided how many elbows I am using yet, but I believe it will be between 2 and 4.

Dave Shepard

009 is a high head pump. An 007 will move much more, as long as the head is low.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LegendsCreekFarm

I thought that might be the case with the 007.    Are there other brands with similar specs that people prefer?  I love TACO but I am open to ideas.

Ivan49

I used a Taco 007 for years and I have 20 foot under ground then it goes up 10 foot then 20 foot over the garage, down 3 foot and into the basement. It worked fine but to prime it I had to add a facet in the line and hook a garden hose up to it. Once prime it works good. The first pump lasted 10 years, the second pump last 2 years. After the advice I got on here I went with a Gronfos 3 speed pump and it works the best of any. When the temps drop to -20 I don't seem to get the heat drop in the house I use to. My pump is at the wood stove.

LegendsCreekFarm

I like grundfos also.  I use one of their ECM pumps for another boiler and I like it.
I forgot to mention that my distance run is about 200 feet.

coxy

speaking of pumps why is it that you can have one run 24-7-365 for years the one next to it gets shut down in the summer and every other year you have to put a new one on is the water rusting the in side of the pump from sitting so long

Holmes

Total length of pipe and pipe diameter are the important numbers in determining the pump size. Elbows also add to pump sizing.  Head is Friction of the fluid traveling thru the pipe. The longer the pipe the greater the friction.
Lets say you have 400' of 1" pipe and you want 10 gallons per minute of flow {100,000btu's} . Head would be around 20feet. I hope that helps
With the above numbers the 009 will deliver 6 rpm with 20' of head ,  60000 btu's The 0011 would give you the 10 gpm .   Your pipe length is very important in sizing the circulator

100' of 1" pex is almost 5' of head.
Think like a farmer.

LegendsCreekFarm

Holmes, I am really glad you told me about the 011.  I almost bought the 007.

The home I am heating with this particular zone is an 1812 colonial, 2200 square feet.  I don't know how many BTUs I need but 60000 BTUs wont cut it.

So between the supply and return, I have a 400 or so foot run, and I believe I will only be using 3 elbows.  The pipe is 1".

With this, I will only get 100,000 BTUs?  Do you think this will be adequate for my home?

Thanks!

Holmes

Looks like the 0011 will do 13 gpm at the 20' head or 130,000btu's That should take care of your old house
Think like a farmer.

DOORS-N-MORE

I would add most Taco's are not approved for hydronic heating cept for their new OWB model i sell pumps and there are some good ones out there i have yet yo have a Grundfos fail while i have changed out many Taco pumps.

Holmes

Ever companies pumps fail. Be patient you will change some grunfos pumps soon. :)
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!