iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TIMBERJACK 208 D wont stay in forward gears. HELP PLEASE

Started by jwhitaker1375, June 29, 2016, 01:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitaker1375

About two weeks ago I purchased a Timberjack 208 D. I pulled out about 8000 brd ft with it in the last few days. As I was using it the forward\reverse shifter started to jump out into neutral while going in forward. with or without a hitch. I would have to stop and put it back in gear. Now it will go in reverse but not forward. It starts to take off and will pop out every time now. Ive removed the plate that covers it all and this is what i see. Can someone please help lead me in the right direction.

jwhitaker1375

coxy

the gears on the shaft are about gone its from grinding it in from forward to reverse with out letting them stop they are short to start with  :o that's what happens to my case skidder when it starts jumping out of gear with the f/reverser  if the tranny is the big one 540 and I think 542  :-\ not the t98 the shaft #is 11198 you have to pull the tranny/reverser together and on a tj its a pain in the     there is roller bearings in there to I think 13 of them that will fall out I just put cup grease on them to hold them in place when putting it back together   just hope the bottom bolts are not in the bell housing    sooner or later it will not stay in gear at all and it will happen when your at the back of the job

Neilo

It should be a NP 441-R transmission - and looks like one too. I think the issue could be with the forward gear on the mainshaft. TJ part no. 405854. could also be the shift ring, no. 405853, or both. Shaft float can also cause popping out of gear.

Neilo

jwhitaker1375

Thank you guys for the help. I guess I will keep digging and find out whats going on. Sounds like ill be pulling the transmission. I was lucky enough that it happened at the landing. If anyone has any more information or can help it is greatly appreciated. Also any information on the 208 in general would be great. Hoping to have it back at shop early next week to start in

danbuendgen

If it was my skidder it would rebuilt the entire reverser. Its probably worn right out....
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

bushmechanic

Well looks like you have some "water in the oil" issues by the look of it in that picture. When you get it sorted out and order the parts to fix it get a rubber boot to go over the gear stick as it will keep the rainwater from entering the gearbox. Coxy is right about the not waiting for everything to stop turning before shifting as this chews away on the sliding clutch and it will rip the teeth right off the gear. As Neilo said too about the shaft float ,happens when the snap ring comes off the shaft then the gears chew into the other shafts in there. Good luck. 

jwhitaker1375

I managed to get transmission out and removed reverser box. Found the input shaft worn, and pretty much all gears in reverser. Also the snap ring was out of place as mentioned above. and the rod that attaches to shifter has some springs and ball bearing that lock it in. found 1  bearing smashed on one side. I have spent 3 days trying to find replacement parts.  any advice on parts and where to get them for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

bushmechanic

If you were in Canada I would suggest Timberpart's in Sussex New Brunswick. Also those parts are available through S&S truck parts in Canada and the U.S. but you will need the New Process number that is stamped on the part.

Thank You Sponsors!