iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaking heatmor

Started by torchman, June 29, 2016, 05:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torchman

Has anyone else had an issue with a leaky heatmor? I have had mine for 8 year and it has started to leak. I contacted the dealer and he has finally got a response from heatmor and I have two options. 1 purchase a new furnace and they will provide  a %15 discount which comes out to a lot of money 7k option 2 I. An buy the main water jacket for $3400 and tear the furnace apart and install that myself or pay the dealer to do which he has never done before. Does sound like a lifetime warranty? I have sent heatmor an email about the issue but they have not responded to them. Has anyone else had this same experience?

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have the 400,bought in '07. So far all is well. Fingers crossed.
I think you have the older style furnace? The newer ones do will not burn as much wood to heat the same area.
I would not think putting a new jacket in would be that hard. There is nothing to the older style ones. The newer ones might be harder. But that was why I bought a Heatmor. A very simple design.
I just got a letter from my dealer. Efficiency Maine has a rebate of $5000. Than a BioMass credit of $300. Might be some help in your state too. Good luck.
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

torchman

It is the older style. But for what they cost and it started to leak in 8 years why would I buy the same thing? If I have to fork out the money to buy a new stove I might as well shop around and get something else. The main reason I chose heatmor was the simple design but I had no intention on rebuilding the whole thing. If they offered it for free that would be different story but for me to fork out more money to by a product that failed sounds like a poor decision on my part to make the same mistake twice. Thus seems to be a common problem these days the companies are there to take your money and then wash their hands of everything.

torchman

Corley5

My parents Heatmor has been trouble free for close to 15 years.  The Heatmor Grandma bought is close to 8 years old with no issues. 
  All these lifetime warranties are pro-rated just like a car battery.  They might say 60 months but if they fail at 55 you don't get very much.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

r.man

Hi Torchman, sorry to hear about your troubles. My friend has a Heatmor, just had to replace a door hose which is the only problem he has had. His is in the 12 yr old range. Where is the leak, these things can be repaired sometimes. I believe all the Heatmor arches are stainless so that does change the repair scenario some. Talking with a manufacturer about warranty is a negotiation, never accept the first offer. I do know a OWB owner who got a new stove delivered and installed at no charge to himself after it started prematurely leaking. To say this fellow was persistent and probably annoying would be an understatement. You need to read up on your warranty and probably talk to state officials about your rights and raise three kinds of a stink about the situation. The two times I know of individuals besting a larger company were both cases of extreme persistence and being in the right.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

torchman

It is leaking between the base and the water jacket. So in order to fix it I would need to take it all apart and raise the water jacket off of the base then weld it. Not sure how big the hole is but I lose a couple of gallons every so many days.  I have sent emails to gerry the owner and then Keith the next level below gerry. Have not had any response yet. I need to know what is the best way to basically annot them so my voice gets heard other wise the only thing is to expose the issues on social media.

r.man

Polite firm insistent demand that they live up to their obligations. Know and be able to quote your warranty rights. Be consistent that you like their product but this is obviously a failure that is covered since it is a material failure either due to a problem with the original material or the manufacturing process. At the very least a factory rep should look at it to start. Get them on your side with facts and paperwork. Wiggle room works both ways, you need to wiggle smart and consistent.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!