iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ear Protectors, Head Phones, etc.

Started by Chuck White, June 28, 2016, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Does anyone have ear protectors that can also be used to communicate with an offbearer with a matching pair, and maybe even have music when not talking on them?

Protect, communicate, listen to music!

I don't even know if they make such a thing, then if they do, it's the $$$.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I don't know about the music, but a lot of tree guys around here use comms. I think Sena (or Senna), seems to be popular.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

How about motorcycle stuff?  They have headsets for a pair on a bike.  I've seen wired but that is probably from the '80s or '90s :D  Should be some wireless stuff now.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mooseherder

I use these but find the volume on the speakers way too low for me.  They had to have been designed and approved by some safety compliance measure approved by the nanny state.
When I want it louder I put my earbuds from my ipod in my ears and use the muffs to drown out the mower.  They don't have the communication feature but you could develop some signs or talk over the low radio volume.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3104475&KPID=4741036&pla=pla_4741036

Magicman

Some Google searches will fine some but they are $$$.  Communication Ear Muffs  Surely there are others.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brendonv

I use Sena for my arborist business. I will not operate again without them. Just as important as my saw and saddle m
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

moosehunter

A company was selling some at  Booneville last year,  very pricy but they were communicator and radio
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

clearcut

I use a Howard Leight 1030110 Sync Noise-Blocking Stereo Earmuff with audio input to connect to my cell phone. Hearing protection, music, and comms for under $30, not counting the cell phone of course.

For another dozen dollars I hooked up a Bluetooth receiver cable-tied to the headband, so its wireless.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Seavee

I use Sena bluetooth that I modified to work on ear protection muffs. They work great and have excellent noise cancellation.  I will buy the new Sena industrial headset when it's released and keep the frankenmuffs for offbearers. Here is a link if it works or copy and paste.   http://www.sena.com/product/tufftalk/
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a set of Bluetooth head phones looked to my I-Phone. I can listen to music, her my phone ring and even talk on the phone with the mill running. The Bluetooth has the background noise reduction built in.

I cannot talk to my off bearer. We have always used hand signal when needed.....most of the time we don't need that....we just click.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Some real good ideas here, thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

I use run-of-the-mill ear muffs. However. I have been trying to find this set in the picture.  Anyone knows where I might be able to find them? Is it only available in Europe?

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

ScottAR

Been using Worktunes for years.  No com. but noise reduction and radio. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LogPup

GD if you go to stihl USA you can look up the dealers for these.  look under head and face protection.

David

azmtnman

Quote from: GDinMaine on June 29, 2016, 09:19:50 PM
I use run-of-the-mill ear muffs. However. I have been trying to find this set in the picture.  Anyone knows where I might be able to find them? Is it only available in Europe?

I always just wear my forestry helmet. Same as the outfit in your pic but with a hardhat. I wear them mainly for the hearing protection--it's always there on my head. I always set regular earmuffs down and have to find them!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Kbeitz

Just type in "still chainsaw hardhat" on E-bay and you will see one allmost like that.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GDinMaine

Thank you guys. There is a watered-down version of this on the Stihl site. My local dealer has it.  I found it uncomfortable and it relies only on the ear protection device to hold the face shield. The one I want has the head bands, just like the forestry helmet, but no helmet. I don't like to wear the full forestry helmet especially on hot days. It tends to get annoying when I run the mill. It seems I might be out of luck.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 29, 2016, 07:52:54 PM
.........We have always used hand signal when needed.....most of the time we don't need that....we just click.  :)
I like that. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

We use handsignals, but when most sawjobs have a different offbearer, things can get confusing!   headscratch    smiley_dizzy

Carson-saws

I am curious....I personally like to listen to what the blade is doing...how things sounds while cutting. I think it can indicate stress levels and a myriad of other "reactions". I am all about ear protection but would rather hear the machine than be distracted by music.  I am fortunate to have a crew that together have developed hand signals and are comfortable with what each one means.  I have yet to "mis-communicate" and sometimes even slip in the ole "you're number one" signal just for farts and giggles.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

waho

Go to Amazon, type in Stihl G500. That's how I got mine.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Carson-saws on July 01, 2016, 10:09:14 AM
I am curious....I personally like to listen to what the blade is doing...how things sounds while cutting. I think it can indicate stress levels and a myriad of other "reactions". I am all about ear protection but would rather hear the machine than be distracted by music.  I am fortunate to have a crew that together have developed hand signals and are comfortable with what each one means.  I have yet to "mis-communicate" and sometimes even slip in the ole "you're number one" signal just for farts and giggles.
I am with you. I don't listen to music when I work. I too find it distracting. I want to hear what the saw or other piece of equipment is sounding like. I use foam earplugs.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

petefrom bearswamp

Poston, do these work with Android?
And where did you get them.
Hand signals with my tail man here but would like to hear my phone ring while sawing
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brad_bb

I use MSA Sordin earmuffs for milling, mowing, and shooting.  They have every option there is.  One option I recommend, get the optional gel earmuff pads.  The earmuffs I use are the Supreme Pro IV $239 and they are electronic noise canceling.  When I shoot I use the electronic feature so you can talk and hear people and it muffles the gunshot.  When I'm milling I don't turn on the electronic.  We play a radio in the shop(we mill inside) and I can hear it pretty well.  I buy mine at SRS Tactical in Florida.
https://srstactical.com/all-products/headsets-and-hearing-protection/msa-sordin-supreme-range.html
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!