The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Watcha Growing  (Read 7108 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: Watcha Growing
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »
21incher,nice plants and raised beds you have. My beans are not even blossomed yet. We are not selling,so I took my time putting the garden in this year. Got most of it done by mid June. Most years,mid May I am done. I see you have your peppers stacked. I put down black plastic for all my peppers.I use tomato cages for mine.They really like the heat. My Father use to grow melons. He would feed 'em,as he use to say. I am using cattle panels for my tomatoes this year. I have no idea how that will work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
21incher,nice plants and raised beds you have. My beans are not even blossomed yet. We are not selling,so I took my time putting the garden in this year. Got most of it done by mid June. Most years,mid May I am done. I see you have your peppers stacked. I put down black plastic for all my peppers.I use tomato cages for mine.They really like the heat. My Father use to grow melons. He would feed 'em,as he use to say. I am using cattle panels for my tomatoes this year. I have no idea how that will work.
They are just a few early beans. The canning ones are just starting.  I put the peppers in the raised beds filled with compost and stuff as many pepper plants as I can fit so they don't need weeding. Everything is coming in about 3 weeks late  so I hope we have a late frost. Last time I grew melons some critter took a bite from each one when it was ripe and ready to pick.  :)

21, very nice layout and gardening practice, that had to come by lots of work,, our jap beetles are on the decline now finally, made the mistake of using traps for them last year, they only brought in more.  Our okra is now coming on, gerks are slowing just a bit, and I did come up with a good recipe for the gerks, both kosher and regular dill.  waiting for the few corn to fill out and tomatoes to ripen. A bonus on the maters was a volunteer cherry tomato, its making a ton of fruit.  We too use the Baker Creek Heirloom seeds, and had a great time at their spring festival this year, lots to see and some great deals on various things.   
That must  have been a fun festival.  Glad to hear you were able to spend some time in a garden this year. :)

Can I grow lettuce under shadecloth in hot weather?
I find romaine grows ok in hot weather. A shadecloth should help.  :)

21.....I really enjoyed that. Good video.
I just wanted to share the seeds that grow best in my garden. :) 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2017, 03:56:59 pm »
Been harvesting head lettuce (Great Lakes), pole beans almost ready(3-4") to pick for the 1st time (Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder cross), Blueberries finished, tomatoes (pole type)4-5' tall, filling in nicely with "fruit". Amish paste tomato - a really good variety!  Tomatillo's have their lanterns now. Peppers are slow, just now warming up at night sufficiently. Onions ready, garlic drying, more lettuce and carrots coming up. Fall peas in the ground. And our water bill...it's growing too!  Live in town - no well. Oh well.

Offline SPDM

• I'm new!
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »
SPDM, are the row covers for the cool nights or bugs? Do you take them off for pollination?

We use the row covers to take the edge off the cold nights and reduce the stress on the plants from the wind. They are removed after two weeks enabling pollination.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »
Almost time to start my little vege garden. Last season was useless for growing chilli, too cold in the spring and it was basically Autumn before they flowered.  :(

But I'll try again, maybe with a little mini-greenhouse. Anyway I was wandering into the supermarket this morning and glanced at their display of plant seedlings. Woohoo.

While these aren't listed as the hottest chilli in the world any more, they are used as Elephant repellant and the Indian Army makes tear gas grenades from them  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »
We had a cold and extremely rainy summer. The sweet peppers were a bumper crop, but there was not enough sun for the jalapenos. Frost will be upon us soon. Our season is almost over and the root cellar is almost full. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »
It is an okra only cutting for us,, bags in the freeze, the gerk pickles turned out great, tomatos not that good, what we got was not bad, just small, beans went to the deer,  oh the corn was good! not enough of it, planning for next year's soil improvement currently.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline ESFted

• Full Member x2
  • Just a chain saw, so far.
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »
My coastal Virginia winter garden has been going for a while, as you can see by the bolting lettuce.  We grow way more than the two of us can eat and try to give away the rest to the neighbors and the folks at my nearby fire department.  I try to garden as organically as is reasonably possible.  This years attempt at keeping bugs at bay has been these mosquito net tunnels.  They have worked very well, so far.
Broccoli

Kale and Collards

Endive, BokChoi and various kinds of lettuce.

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S
Dreams of a Wm LT70

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:31 pm »
They are some nice looking beds. I have fall greens coming in now, but the bok choy is bolting with all the hot weather we have now. I think it will be the latest frost ever this year for us. :)