iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Cat Skidder......having problems!

Started by thatchipperguy, June 28, 2016, 10:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatchipperguy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo42JDro6oo

The Skidder started throwing the code for the exhaust and then it would go into limp mode. We have had cat out here a few times working on it so the last time it threw the code we looked into it and the exhaust is completely clogged with the dried up def. Any ideas?

WildlandFirefighter912

Lots of these new equipment are having trouble with def fluid. Never let it run out of the def!
Im suppose to get a new Cat D6 with this new [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] on it. Heard if we get in some thick smoke itll probably put it in limp mode. Dont know how true though. Hate to be on a head of a fire and it goes limp. Abandon ship.

Even these new trucks are being a pain. We had our fire engines exhaust replaced cause it was clogging up. Thousands spent. Still doing it and it goes in limp mode.

Czech_Made

I say to mess up a diesel engine is quite the achievement.  ;D  By the maker, not the user of course.

Czech_Made

I heard of a lineman in a bucket truck that got stranded up in the bucket because the truck wanted to go into the cat regeneration cycle, which was to drive around over 25 miles or something like that. The engine would run for 6 seconds and then shut off. So the lineman in the bucket could only come down in the bucket for 6 seconds at a time until the rig shut itself off.

thatchipperguy

We have two freightliners with Detroit's in them and they both run fine but this cat has been a headache last couple weeks. The operator is real good at keeping def in it and making sure the def is clean.

WildlandFirefighter912

Im for a clean environment but this has gone too far. Someone is in this [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] to make money and using the environment for an excuse.

All def is is part water and some other chemical crap.

Yeah that regen is a pain.

Thank god i have an old ford truck personally.

Drive a m916a3 at work. None of that def crap. But the international semi i used to drive it would tell me too pull over and regen
Had the ! thing popping up

Woodhauler

If its not under warrenty, get the computer reburned to eliminate all that crap! First time my westernstar messes up it by by def system! But don't tell anyone!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

coxy

with that cover off where your taking the white powder out do you dare start the skidder and blow that crap out with ex pressure  also try using a different kind of panther pith a friend of mine had trouble with a new dodge changed to another brand and all was fine     good luck let use know how you make out   coxy

thatchipperguy

kiko

I have dealt with a few of these D series.  Here is my opinion.  The dried up DEF you were removing is basically like that because the the water has been evaporated because the exhaust temperature is to high at the point of DEF injection.  This high temperature in this area is because of down stream restriction .  Until the down stream flow issue is corrected, no amount of forced regen and cleaning will make it go away.   Once the new exhaust is installed I would recommend cutting the DEF fluid with distiller water to make the amount of water evaporation at injection produce less non evaporative particles.   Experiment with dilution levels so that the DEF ph does not get out of range. 

redneck

lots of issues with construction equipment and doing burns.  Some guys are removing filters and doing deletes on computers when warranty is over.  Lots of adds posted on kijiji up here from companies doing deletes on different motors
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

starmac

Lots of guys up have just said screw the warraunty and deleted it. That system and cold weather does not mix well at all. My don even deleted it on his new dodge.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HiTech

From what i have seen of the pollution systems on new machines they can have them. There has to be a better way.

snowstorm

i just read in ccj magazine that cat has to pay 60mill to owners and former owners of cat accert truck motors. the payments range from 500 to 10k

KamHillbilly

We had a $ 1.5 million crane with def in total it spent more time on the side of the road waiting for resets and mechanics than it did working pretty much sank the company
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

danbuendgen

I vote for deleting the emissions crap. Think of the amount of hours you have wasted dealing with that crap. And time is money. My 08 5500 does not have DEF, but it does have an EGR and DPF, soon I'm buying a tuner, and delete kits for it. Bye-bye.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

millcreek40

Go to a fair or tractor pull   They aren't to worried about emissions there
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

killamplanes

I spent 5k on my Pete for a delete.. Best 5k spent on that truck.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

711ac

Quote from: thatchipperguy on June 28, 2016, 10:19:54 AM
the exhaust is completely clogged with the dried up def. Any ideas?

Vote (conservative) Republican! :D

coxy

the trouble is you take the junk off ( cars/trucks) and they will make law that such and such year you will have to have it on to get it inspected at least in ny any way

711ac

Remember the mid 70's & 80's?
In the light (pickup) truck market they f'ed up the gas engine with so much pollution crap that you needed a big block just to have a "work" truck with 6-8 mpg. This brought along the introduction of diesel motor's in pickup's. Well history is repeating it's self with diesel's.
sorry for the de-rail.

danbuendgen

Quote from: coxy on August 31, 2016, 09:23:56 PM
the trouble is you take the junk off ( cars/trucks) and they will make law that such and such year you will have to have it on to get it inspected at least in ny any way

This is true. In Vermont, they are coming out with new laws on vehicle emissions. Lucky for me, if a diesel truck is registered over 8500 pounds, they aren't testing those. Both my rigs are registered over the 8500 pound limit....

Problem is with the emissions garbage, I understand that what comes out the tail pipe is cleaner, I mean, my 08 burns so clean that there is no soot in the pipe, and it smells more like propane burning then diesel fuel. But its burning nearly x2 the amount of fuel with all the emissions (re-gen, EGR DPF) so whats "green" about burning more fuel? Just more of my money going to billionaire oil company's in my view....

Czech_Made

Quote from: 711ac on August 31, 2016, 09:19:12 PM
Quote from: thatchipperguy on June 28, 2016, 10:19:54 AM
the exhaust is completely clogged with the dried up def. Any ideas?

Vote (conservative) Republican! :D

+1

outlaw EPA

Ed_K

Ed K

danbuendgen

I like the outlaw EPA idea. In fact, lets fire all those politicians and lobbyists and start fresh. Get billionaires, bankers, wall street, out. They don't care about us, they just want power, control, and money.

Thank You Sponsors!