iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new wheels... and test run... what do you think? video

Started by ray299, June 27, 2016, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

https://youtu.be/uj5h87GIFLg
any suggestions about the way this is running? One plus is it actually stays on the wheels! lol

ray299

ok so in the video it doesn't look like the blade is bouncing... the bounce was mainly between the
wheel and the guide. Between guides was pretty smooth...

fishfighter

Don't know much about mills with wheels, but to me with that much tension on the blade and heating up, that would change out the blade setting. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 27, 2016, 07:00:22 PM
Don't know much about mills with wheels, but to me with that much tension on the blade and heating up, that would change out the blade setting. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.
You are correct. If the blade were to heat  while cutting it would expand and become loser. A loose blade will flop and cutting problem will show. I think (speaking as an amature) having a good cooling system will stop the heat from making a large impact on the blade tension... Which is why I put so much detail into my lub guides. Check them out :-)

fishfighter

You have a good lube system. BUT, what I read/learn here with people running tires and lubing, they start getting the blade to slip or go off track. They start using brake fluid on the tires to help the blade track true.

I'm sure someone with a mill like yours will step in soon.

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 27, 2016, 08:55:49 PM
You have a good lube system. BUT, what I read/learn here with people running tires and lubing, they start getting the blade to slip or go off track. They start using brake fluid on the tires to help the blade track true.

Brake fluid... Interesting. I haven't read anything about that yet (although I'm pretty green at this). I did encorportate backing bearings with my blade guide to take the force of pushing the blade through the workpiece in the hopes that it would help the blade stay on track... Love learning this stuff and hoping to test it out of a log soon!

ray299

Quote from: ray299 on June 27, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
ok so in the video it doesn't look like the blade is bouncing... the bounce was mainly between the
So I see two problems here... One: the blade is not tracking in the center of both wheel (on the crown). That might be because the wheels are not in the same plain. Judgung by the video, does that matter? If so, I can fix that by putting a bump plate behind the wheel that is further set back. And the second problem so blade bounce. I'm wondering if it just need more tension, if I need a better donut tire or if the bounce will go away once it engages with cutting a log...

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ray299 on June 27, 2016, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: fishfighter on June 27, 2016, 08:55:49 PM

Brake fluid... Interesting. I haven't read anything about that yet (although I'm pretty green at this). I did encorportate backing bearings with my blade guide to take the force of pushing the blade through the workpiece in the hopes that it would help the blade stay on track... Love learning this stuff and hoping to test it out of a log soon!
Fishfighter is right about too much lube causing the blade to pop off but I don't think I would use break fluid.  I would think that it would eat up the tires.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ray299 on June 28, 2016, 06:30:09 AM
Quote from: ray299 on June 27, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
So I see two problems here... One: the blade is not tracking in the center of both wheel (on the crown). That might be because the wheels are not in the same plain. Judgung by the video, does that matter? If so, I can fix that by putting a bump plate behind the wheel that is further set back. And the second problem so blade bounce. I'm wondering if it just need more tension, if I need a better donut tire or if the bounce will go away once it engages with cutting a log...

I would say start cutting and find out.  More tension will help with the blade bouncing but with tires you can only put so much.  If it is a problem when it is cutting you can make the one of the blade guides movable so it can be placed closer to the log you are cutting that way there is less unsupported blade to bounce.

Magicman

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on June 29, 2016, 02:23:52 PMI don't think I would use break fluid.  I would think that it would eat up the tires.
I believe that one of the properties of brake fluid is that it does not dissolve rubber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

i've never heard of using break fluid, I wondering if it is getting mixed up with break cleaner?

Sawmill Man

Brake fluid will sofften up and condition old dry tires. Back before the advent of the DOT legal drag tires we soaked our back tires with a rag wet down with brake fluid. Two or three applications during the week and you were ready for the weekend. This was not on cars that were driven every day.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

ray299

I made my first test cut today and the saw cut like a bear! I got rid of the bouncing by exchanging the donut that was out of round at the junk yard for a better one. I also balanced the tires. To set up the alignment closer to the center on each wheel, I cut a spacer for the back of the wheel that had more blade up front. It tracked PERFECTLY! As for lube, all I had laying around was gasoline and steering fluid. Put that mix in and turned the lub on 1 ft into the cut and back off two ft from the end of the cut. Couldn't see much on the wood but I could smell it. Cut some boards today! :-)

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Magicman on June 29, 2016, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: Joe Hillmann on June 29, 2016, 02:23:52 PMI don't think I would use break fluid.  I would think that it would eat up the tires.
I believe that one of the properties of brake fluid is that it does not dissolve rubber.

That may be true,  I am basing my guess on what it does to paint.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ray299 on June 29, 2016, 07:45:25 PM
I made my first test cut today and the saw cut like a bear! I got rid of the bouncing by exchanging the donut that was out of round at the junk yard for a better one. I also balanced the tires. To set up the alignment closer to the center on each wheel, I cut a spacer for the back of the wheel that had more blade up front. It tracked PERFECTLY! As for lube, all I had laying around was gasoline and steering fluid. Put that mix in and turned the lub on 1 ft into the cut and back off two ft from the end of the cut. Couldn't see much on the wood but I could smell it. Cut some boards today! :-)

I would recommend not using gasoline.  If you saw in the evening you will see all sorts of sparks coming from your blade.  I would use diesel.

fishfighter

Don't used the brake fluid as a lube. Just use it now and then if you start seeing your blade shifting off center. Just wipe the tires. It will clean dust off the tires and help keep the blade set. Just use water and dawn dish soap. Don't over flow your lube. Just enough to help clean pitch off the blade. Some use diesel, I don't due to using most of the lumber inside a house.

ray299

ray299

ray299

ray299

Not a bad first test cut... 12 and 8 ft long, 8 inch wide and 3/4 thick ash... Gonna make pretty siding for the goat barn :-)

fishfighter

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 29, 2016, 08:24:35 PM
Congrats. You now have the bug. :D
Yes! I do!
And thank you everyone who commented. Even if I didn't "quote" your comment, I still read it and most likely got something from it. I LOVE my new toy! Can't wait to cut more tomorrow! Always good to have experience to turn to- thank you

Ox

Cool!  You're on your way.  And another one has been corrupted into the ways of sawdust.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!