iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel shutoff solenoid not working

Started by Beavertooth, June 27, 2016, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

My LT70 62cat engine shut off on me the other day. Had made one cut and it kinda cut out and started back then in second cut engine completely shut down. The day before while sawing a couple of logs it kept cutting out and then right back on a few times. Called Wood-Mizer and talked to Doug Hicks and he told me to check the fuel shutoff solenoid.Took it out of the engine and it fired right up. So I kinda screwed a piece of old sock in the hole it came out of and finished sawing up the log. Hooked the solenoid straight up to a battery and it would work fine. So knew it was ok. I checked voltage coming to it and it was only getting 10.6 volts. I traced the problem down to   a loose nut that holds several ground wires down on a bolt inside black box on side of engine. Just thought I would share in case anyone else runs into same problem. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Since there were "several" ground wires it sounds like you corrected a potential for more problems.  We sometimes overlook grounds but they are the other side of every circuit.  Thanks for sharing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Ill second the ground thing. A while back, I was sure my accuset 2 had swallowed the big onion. By chance, I found a loose dirty bolt holding a bunch of ground wires. After cleaning and tightening, the old punkooter is still working great. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sparks

If you jump across the two wires, that feed the solenoid with a volt meter, do you read 12 volts?
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Beavertooth

Sparks,
I had 10.6 volts on those 2 wires when the grounds were loose. After tightening up the ground wires and solenoid  went back to working I did not check voltage.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!