iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

latest project

Started by etat, November 06, 2004, 05:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

I've never laid the first single brick before.  My recent purchase of a used gas log stove kinda got my wheels a spinning.

Over a year ago I had been given a bunch of old bricks if I'd come get em.  So two weeks ago :) I finally went over and started hauling em.  They'd been dumped in a holler. They hadn't ever been used but they were bad dirty, along with a mess a fire ants mixed up with em.  We fought em off and won, (ants don't like roofing propane torches) :) and managed to haul em home and restack em.  Just over 3000 of em. Lots of em I'm gonna use around that concrete block foundation my house is a sitting on one a these days. Sunday's a week ago me and the wife started wire brushing and cleaning em until we had cleaned just over three hundred of em.

Next we took some sheets of Styrofoam and cut it up into brick size.  Then we started laying it out and with a hot glue gun built a full sized model.

Once that was done we took some concrete board and cut us up a base and back piece for the wall.  We cut a bunch of bricks in half and made the circle base, which we later filled with concrete, rebar, and chicken wire.

Then we started the columns and arch. . At the bottom it's 9 inches wide from the wall (double brick) and gets wider towards the top to 12 inches.  Later I'll come up with some wood of some kind to top it off.

Went and bought some smoky black tile for the inside of this contraption.  Cut em up into brick size, and half brick size and just sorta laid em randomly.  Then scratched em out and grouted em.

Just finished pouring the concrete inside the base last night so I put a couple a boards on it to set that gas log stove.

This is what it looks like practically finished.  Later I'll move the stove, that dang thing is cast iron and heavy, and polish the concrete and stain it and do the wood top. That's a old kettle sitting on top of it.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Looks real nice Ck. By the sounds of it, you and the misses had quite chore fishing them out of the back yard and then clean, cut and mortar them. Setting them bricks takes quite a skill which I'de be hesitant in attempting on my own. ;D You cookin baked beans in the pot? Looks like a nice stew pot from a few generations back. We used to have a huge 20 gallon cast iron pot. I think great grand father used to cook feed for the hogs in it. It developed a hole in the bottom and mother planted flowers in it for years. Its long gone now, don't no where to. Be heavy enough for a wrecking ball. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

Swamp, not cold enough to keep it running to cook on yet.  But I WILL be cooking the occasional pot of beans or greens in that pot.

Here's the full sized model we made to go by. The first time I've ever made a full sized model of  anything.  Usually just jump right in with both feet.  I sorta knew better this time.

The black is one side of the Styrofoam
and the silver is the other side.

Hey Jeff, when I'd try to post these pictures it'd try to post two instead of one.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

CK:

Its good to build a model or at least draw out the dimensions so you can piece things together easier, less waste. I find that on complicated wood projects it saves having to chuck a nice piece of veneer because I cut a curver by eye instead of using a template or jig to scribe it. Some pieces have to fit into a project before you add the glue and screws, so if you overlook that....your errmmm screwed?  :-/

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

That's a real nice job there CK. Gonna have ta give you an A+ on that one. To bad ya hadn't made it bigger, then you could have used it to fry up one of them fishes from the fishing club. It don't appear the 12' diameter skillet would fit in there though.
  When I started to have my house bricked I found the two worst bricklayers on the face of the earth. The first guy spent more time laying under a pine tree snoozing than bricking.  Got another guy (best in the business according to him) well when he run the brick around the house, in between the garage doors the two ends didn't meet and were a course off. So he runs them down hill to meet each other. Had to tear down and clean over 5000 brick. Lost a lot on materials.  Oh, I have to amend the above, I found the 3 worst brick layers. About 7 years back when I added my shop on to the house I hire another so called brick layer to brick it.  I was gone for a couple days and when I got back found mortar joints 3/4" to 1" where the guy tried to catch up in two courses.  Wound up before a magistrate that time.
   So if'n I need anymore brick layed I'll give ya a call, your's looks a heck of a lot better than there's did.
   Needless to say I'm putting wood siding on the barn I've been building.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

That looks great CK, something I've never attempted either. Luckly for us the best bricklayer around was our neighbor, he did our house for us.

I on the other hand have trouble leveling water. :D

Fla._Deadheader

DanG teech, didn't them boys ever hear tell of "story rods" ???

Bricks ain't all that hard to stack, IF ya pay attention. ;)

Ole CK done a real fine job. Wish I could shanghai him for 1 week to help me with my roofing. ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

FDH, only "story" them boys knew was how good a bricklayer they were ::), and you thunk CK has a lot of BS. :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Patty

You guys did a real nice job, there CK. I' really like the design you used around your fireplace. Norm & I have been working on designs for our fireplace surround. We decided he would have complete say so over the fireplace, and I would design the tub area in the master bathroom. Our agreement is that neither of us will EVER complain about the job the other one does.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Get it in writing Patty. :D

Jeff

Quote DanG teech, didn't them boys ever hear tell of "story rods" ???

Bricks ain't all that hard to stack, IF ya pay attention. ;)

Ole CK done a real fine job. Wish I could shanghai him for 1 week to help me with my roofing. ::) :D :D

You brickin yer roof?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

Might hold up better in 90mph wind :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

I WAS considering pouring concrete up there. ::) We use concrete tile roofs down here, sooo, CK jest MIGHT fit right in ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

Hey Shop!, let me tell ya, I REALLY appreciate the A.  :) 

As I didn't never go to a real college other than what I managed to pick up here and there I reckon I always get a bit  confused when somebody  throws out that abbreviation that I was full of. ::)  I seem to have heard that quite a bit more than once. :P  So, I did a bit a research and figured out ya musta been talkin about me having a degree in bachelor of science — B.S.

I reckon I must be smarter than I thought I was! :D

shopteacher

Yes sir Ck, you got it, Bachelor of Science, Un Huh, yep, that's what I meant alright. :D ;D :D
  An seeing how youse the top member of the fishing club I just threw that in to. :o

Thank You Sponsors!