iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitter build: Hyrdaulic tank sizing help needed!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, June 27, 2016, 08:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

So on the world wide web it states that the rule of thumb for sizing a hydraulic reservoir is 3 times the pump capacity plus 10% for air. I can't believe that anyone designs to this standard on commercially made splitters. The Oregon splitter that I have has a 7 (?) gallon tank and the pump is 22 GPM. Now, I don't like all the issues we've had with that splitter, that's why I am building my own. I have a 22 GPM on my homemade splitter and I was planning on a 25 gallon tank (which has an 18 gallon "useable" capacity).

Is this sufficient?

gspren

The bigger tank is to allow cooling of the fluid. If you are commercial or even a do it all in one day homeowner then the bigger tank is needed. You can also add an oil cooler in line to help or just go slower like me and don't overwork the splitter or yourself. You should be fine with that tank just feel it every so often, if it's too hot take a break.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

jdonovan

yep, put a temp gauge on your tank, and keep an eye on it.

Bill Saf

if you run hard in the summer you can add a large trans cooler with 2 or 3 12v muffin fans from old computers. with a 25 gal tank you can run 22 gals. I like to run trans oil in my splitter alot easier to start in the winter.

DeerMeadowFarm

sam-tip

When I stopped in at surplus center they told me plan for 1 gallon capacity per gallon per min.  Should be sufficient.

With a oil cooler you and reduce the amount of oil storage.   Its all about keeping the oil cool!  If the oil gets hot take nice break.  I think most hydro oil is ok up to 180 to 200 degrees F.

I am running 38 gpm with only 14 gallon tank but I using a large oil cooler.

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

hedgerow

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 27, 2016, 09:15:01 AM
This is the tank I was thinking of: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Reservoirs/Hydraulic-Reservoirs/25-GALLON-HYDRAULIC-RESERVOIR-9-7950.axd

It comes with a fluid level gage and temperature indicator.
I run that exact reservoir on a 28 GPM pump with no issues and do most of my splitting in the summer months. I don't run any oil cooler. Looks like for 50 bucks more you can up size to their 37 gallon model.

Al_Smith

I have 8 or 9 gallons on my homebuilt .It doesn't get hot but then again it's a 5" cylinder .16 gallon /minute pump ,dextron auto tranny fluid .The pressure is cut back to around 2400 PSI but it will still go through about anything .Fact it's got to be some real knotty stuff before it ever kicks into low speed .

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, I ordered the 25 gallon tank along with a bunch of fittings so we'll see how that works out. I am running a 5" cylinder as well with a 22 GPM pump on an 11 HP Honda.

A couple of you have mentioned runny transmission fluid. What is the advantage of running that vs. hydraulic fluid? I hope someone tells me it is cost effective because after I ordered the tank I checked Tractor Supply and if I use the cheapest hydraulic fluid they sell it'll still cost me around $120!  :o

Bill Saf

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 28, 2016, 08:32:43 AM
Well, I ordered the 25 gallon tank along with a bunch of fittings so we'll see how that works out. I am running a 5" cylinder as well with a 22 GPM pump on an 11 HP Honda.

A couple of you have mentioned runny transmission fluid. What is the advantage of running that vs. hydraulic fluid?
I hope someone tells me it is cost effective because after I ordered the tank I checked Tractor Supply and if I use the cheapest hydraulic fluid they sell it'll still cost me around $120!  :o

It's a little cheaper not by much but in the mid winter when its 32 deg out I could not pull start my spiltter I changed over to dextron trans oil and I can go out and start it below 32 deg. trans oil is still hyd oil just thinner in cold weather and dextron trans oil wont foam up like 303 hdy oil

21incher

I run a 16 GPM pump with a 4" cylinder using a 13 gallon compressor tank that I modified and can run it all day without the fluid heating. I use 12 gallons of TSC oil and find that when it is cold out I have to run it for a few minutes to warm up the oil before the auto return detent position will hold in position without holding the handle. It seems that the duty cycle is so low that it would be impossible to overheat the fluid on my splitter. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Gearbox

Hydraulic oil starts to degrade at 150 degrees and half lifes the oil for every 10 degrees hotter . 150 is realy hot we will see what the BT6870 will get for oil temp this week .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

Okay now an oil story .I worked for a rich tight wadded electrical contractor for 9 years .Which was about 8 years and 11 months too long .He had a Pittman Pole cat II line truck that  held 50 gallons of hydraulic  fluid,type A cold weather  fluid .The truck blew a main line lost the oil,got repaired .Somebody told this idiot to use general purpose fluid because it was cheaper .

Now this is Ohio,it's winter ,it gets cold .So here we are ,1 foremen,me ,two linemen  two groundmen waiting 45 minutes each morning before you could raise the dang boom of the truck. 392 cubic inch Ford V8 at 9 gallons of fuel an hour ,5 men,saved a lot of money .Stingy as he was he soon saw the errors of his ways .  ;D

Al_Smith

Did you notice that when gasoline was 4 dollars a gallon oil really didn't cost that much,that came later .However when gas prices dropped off oil didn't .

Thank You Sponsors!