iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut...what are these?

Started by Brad_bb, June 26, 2016, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I have a row of black walnut that I transplanted from my yard tree to the back of the farm.  When they started leafing out this year, some had these cone shaped thingies on them.  What are they?  You can see that they come out alone along a branch, whereas the leafing begins at the end of the branches.  Are these flowers or immature nuts?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

OneWithWood

I suspect that is not a black walnut.  Looks like some kind of alien black cherry.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brad_bb

No, it is Black walnut.  I've transplanted many of them from my yard tree.  A number of them had these things on them this spring.  Maybe they did other years and I just never noticed.  No question, it's Black Walnut.  The bark changes to the typical alligator look When it gets to 2+ inches in diameter.  the lower portion of this tree's bark is already doing it.

Ron Scott

They are catkins that grow in the spring for pollination.
~Ron

Brad_bb

Thanks Ron!  I suspected it was for pollination but no idea what it would be called.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Black walnut is monoecious.  Has both male and female flowers on same plant.  They don't mature at the same time so that the plant does not self-pollinate.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim1611

The best way to identify a black walnut tree is to rub the leaves. They have a distinctive smell to them.
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

Okrafarmer

Once the bark is alligatoring, I find that you can always tell walnut by crumbling off a tiny piece of bark and looking at it. First, the piece of bark will crumble off very easily in your hand. Second. The fresh side where it broke off will always be dark chocolate brown.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

And, the inner bark will be a bright sulfur yellow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Be sure to look at multiple clues.  One of the hickories (pignut, I think) has a bark that will be chocolate brown where it breaks from the tree and black oak has a distinctive yellow layer adjacent to the cambium.
One With Wood

Okrafarmer

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 13, 2016, 10:08:38 AM
Be sure to look at multiple clues.  One of the hickories (pignut, I think) has a bark that will be chocolate brown where it breaks from the tree and black oak has a distinctive yellow layer adjacent to the cambium.

Yes, but pignut bark does not break off easily.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Al_Smith

Pig nut is often referred to as smooth bark .A local mill told be it makes the best lumber of the local hickories.

Fact I just got through splitting about a cord and a half from a rather large smooth bark that had the top blown out of it .I saved the logs for lumber .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 15, 2016, 08:47:52 PM
Pig nut is often referred to as smooth bark .A local mill told be it makes the best lumber of the local hickories.

Fact I just got through splitting about a cord and a half from a rather large smooth bark that had the top blown out of it .I saved the logs for lumber .

Don't save them long-- hickory rots fast! Although, where you are, you should be fine over winter I suppose.

OneWithWood

The tree I referred to as pignut has a bark that is blocky and similar in appearance to some walnuts, definitely not smooth, so it is probably one of the other hickories.  Definitely not shell bark or shag bark, so maybe mockernut?  I do have a number of smooth bark hickories.
One With Wood

Al_Smith

We're on the same page,same bark .

Some logs can take weather,some cannot .Sugar maple ,hickory,black cherry ,walnut,red oak do not .White oak,ash ,black locust ,osage orange do .

Fact in 1983-4 I cut into a cull log left from a cut from the late 30-early 40's white oak .The outside 3 inches had rot  the inside was nice as can be  .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 16, 2016, 04:20:23 PM
We're on the same page,same bark .

Some logs can take weather,some cannot .Sugar maple ,hickory,black cherry ,walnut,red oak do not .White oak,ash ,black locust ,osage orange do .

Fact in 1983-4 I cut into a cull log left from a cut from the late 30-early 40's white oak .The outside 3 inches had rot  the inside was nice as can be  .

??? I've always felt walnut logs do pretty well hanging around outside waiting to be milled. I have some waiting on me right now. . . .

WDH

I am waiting on the walnut logs that I don't have.  They are not waiting on me  :-\. 

Al_Smith

I'm going to have to "stand corrected " on that walnut .As it was I had several  logs ,small short, 8-9  feet 12 " or so .Enough for at best 100 BDF .They were cribbed off the ground .I can't remember how long from cut to mill,maybe two years .They cut not too bad but had some rot,the white oak very little as the ash,sap wood for the most part .All of it has been stickered and air dried the best part of 15 yeas inside .I still haven't done a thing with that walnut .

Thank You Sponsors!