iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw barn addition - 4 year project (pic intensive)

Started by OneWithWood, June 25, 2016, 05:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

The barn housing my mill, kiln and woodworking equipment is not climate controlled so working in the extremes of summer and winter can be challenging at best.  Forget about doing any finish work except for a the rare days of decent temps and low humidity.
The pole barn that is heated in the winter houses my bio diesel processing, automotive and mechanical equipment.  Sawdust, oil and vehicles do not play nice together.

So, it all started with a pile of logs from a clearing project:

smiley_idea  - I should build an addition to the saw barn that would be climate controlled and do double duty as my 'man cave'.  I put pencil to paper and came up with my version of the dream shop to complement the saw barn and the woodworking equipment inside.

April 2012.  I leveled the area to the west of the barn, dug footers, laid L block and filled it in with gravel.

Poured the slab, finishing it with a bull float.

I spent a good part of the summer of 2012 milling logs into 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, and 2x10 boards that were then kiln dried.  The 2x6 studs were milled from big tooth aspen.  Everything else came from the tulip poplar logs. 

Setting the walls using my JMS log trailer:

December 1, 2012 with the help of the lady across the street we began setting trusses.  She loves to climb and is very nimble while I like to keep my feet on the ground or at worse on some scaffolding.  Setting the trusses was a bit tricky because the first five were truncated to tie into the existing barn wall.  We built the first three as a unit on the ground and hoisted them up with the JMS grapple.  The rest were loaded over the south wall and pushed into position then nailed in place.

Working solo again I started installing the purlins and girts using the last of the tulip poplar.

Once the purlins and girts were in place I enlisted the services of a couple carpenter friends to install the metal roof.  I can climb up on the roof but getting back down never seems easy so I did all the ground work drilling holes and such.  By December 15, 2012 it was under roof.  Jette stopped by to give her approval.

I took January 2013 off to cut firewood and push snow around but by February 13, 2013 I had the doors and windows in and the  addition wrapped.

I spent March harvesting tulip poplar that was standing dead or stressed from the droughts of 2010 and 2012 and the tulip scale outbreak that followed.  When I wasn't harvesting trees I worked on the large 10'x10' doors.  I built the doors up using 2x4 aspen, 3/4" plywood and 2" rigid foam.

In May, 2013 a friend helped me install three 3'x6' glass panes in the south wall. 

I spent the summer milling 1x6 tulip poplar, putting a ship lap edge on each side of the board.  By August I had the addition sided.

With the siding completed I went back to milling big tooth aspen and tulip poplar.  This would be ceiling and wall material so it was kiln dried.

I was not able to turn my attention to the interior until February, 2014, building out the office, insulating the ceiling, installing the ceiling lights and wiring the outlets.

After insulating the walls I turned my attention to finishing the lumber for the ceiling and walls.  All the lumber was cut to rough length (approx. 75", 52" and 30"), jointed, planed ripped to 6" and then tongue and grooved.  I initially attempted to do the t&g work on the Woodmaster 718 but I could not keep registration.
Planing:

First attempt at t&g on Woodmaster:

Better solution - Jessem router table:

By June 2015 I had enough boards to begin finishing.  I did a lot of research on finishing paneled walls but could not find anything to suit me.  I wanted to finish the boards front and back to minimize seasonal movement.  I also did not want a gloss finish or something that would change the natural color of the wood.  I came across a product by Target Coatings called EM6000.  It is a water based acrylic and I could get it in a semi-gloss.  This product is best sprayed so I set about cobbling together a spray booth and drying rack.

I did improve on the spray booth by replacing the plastic sheeting with and actual booth fabbed out of insulation board but apparently I never took a pic of it  >:(\
The boards in the booth and the drying rack hung from box nails set in on end.  I found out early on that I needed to enlarge the groove in the drying rack.  The original groove did not totally encase the nail head and when I bumped the rack or dropped a board the resulting vibration set off a chain reaction that created an instant game of pick up sticks.  :o

By December 2015 I had all the big tooth aspen finished and ready to install on the ceiling.

The ceiling was completed July 2015.  I used two 6' scaffolds to install the boards after I ran an air line from the barn to the addition.

It was back to milling, sizing, finishing and installing for the wall paneling.  The wall paneling was up by June 2016.

Feeling I was in the home stretch I bucked a number of 13' tulip poplar logs, milled, dried and sized the lumber.  I used the Woodmaster 718 to make all the trim.  Due to the length of the trim I could not use my spray booth or drying rack so I finished the trim using a brush.  The coating went on well and dried nice and flat.  Just like the ceiling and walls the trim got three coats on each side.  One of the nice qualities of the EM6000 series of coatings is that it is ready to recoat in 30 minutes with 100% burn in of the additional coats.
Making crown moulding:

Making rosettes on drill press:

June 2016 it is done  8) 8) 8)

Finally it was time to get my remaining woodworking equipment that had been stored in the pole barn, getting covered in bio diesel mist, relocated to the new home.

Moving in:

The workbench is actually where this all started.  I began building the bench in 2011 and quickly realized I could not complete it in the pole barn.  After I finish our basement in a similar fashion I will finish the workbench.  All the wood is milled and finished for the basement so that should not take more than a month or two. (famous last words)

I repurposed the drying rack into a lumber storage/display rack inspired by a post from Al Smith.

With the exception of setting trusses, installing the metal roof, and setting the windows the only other help I had was from Milcat.  Here she is helping me measure  :D

Well it took about as long to post this as it did to build it.  Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the ride  :)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Wow! Great build. 

I've seen (no, lived in) houses that weren't as nice as your new shop.

Herb

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rasman57

Well done.   What a great presentation of that interior wood.   Enjoyed your documentation pics, watching your plan turn into a very cool shop!     Be proud of that effort as it is always a lot of work.....but REALLY  a lot when you tackle most  of it solo.   

tnaz

Man, that was/is awesome!!! 8) 8)  Great Job.

Thanks for all the pictures too,

Terry

Peter Drouin

Goes to show what a man can do with some ambition doing all you can do and not have to hire it all out. My hat is off to you, sir,

Very nice job.  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodman58

i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

WDH

Robert, very inspiring.  Now, I will never take another picture of my shop  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dustintheblood

Outstanding work!!!!!!

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

bkaimwood

bk

dean herring

That is one nice shop, hope mine turns out half that nice. Well done
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

ncsawyer

WOW!  Awesome building!  I know you are certainly proud of all the hard work that went into it.

I saw the concrete slab that you poured.  Did you use any kind of sealant or anything on the floor of the building?  In the last pictures (it was hard to tell)  the floor looked like it has something on it.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Planman1954

Loved it. Thanks for taking the time to present your project.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

barbender

Awesome work, OWW! It has to feel great to use that shop after all that work ;)
Too many irons in the fire

sawmilllawyer

Really like what you have done. Excellent work. Just goes to show what one can accomplish when they set their mind to it. Impressive build.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

larrydown60

What awesome man cave. Beautiful job you done good, your workmanship is outstanding. Thank you for sharing your journey

Nomad

Wonderful workmanship!  Outstanding job!!! smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

thecfarm

A very nice story you have. And a very nice shop to work in. I hope to see some pictures of the things that you will build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Great job. Thanks for sharing the pictures and taking us along on the ride. smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

It looks much different than it did when we were there.   smiley_thumbsup  Congrats on a fine job and also for the picture parade. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

78NHTFY

...almost unbelievable!  But, you made your dream come true.  You're an inspiration.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Roxie

A remarkable combination of talent, patience and tenacity!  Words escape me!   8)
Say when

OneWithWood

Quote from: ncsawyer on June 25, 2016, 09:41:56 PM
WOW!  Awesome building!  I know you are certainly proud of all the hard work that went into it.

I saw the concrete slab that you poured.  Did you use any kind of sealant or anything on the floor of the building?  In the last pictures (it was hard to tell)  the floor looked like it has something on it.

No.  I opted to forgo the sealing.  The slab in the barn was not sealed and has held up well. Hopefully I won't regret it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!