iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms461 anti vibration

Started by Wildman Ben, June 23, 2016, 11:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildman Ben

Hey all, I've been reading scattered information about the 461 coming out with spring anti vibration like the 441 or the 661 has, or husky saws of course. would make it the perfect saw if just that anti vibration was updated. does anybody know about this? are they out for sale? will they be soon? can I buy after market springs to replace those pesky bushings? running saw for ~8 hours a day for 14 days straight really starts to rattle your bones, get the numb arms, gripping hands and all that jazz. any advice or information would be greatly appreciated thanks!

joe_indi

This news to me, though I have seen a saw in field trials that has three springs in place of the 5 buffers. But it was no 461, something else.
You could alternatively try the various buffer options available for the 461/460.
But this is the first time I am reading of a 461 having the vibrations you have described. I would check the buffers carefully especially the one on the left, in front just below the oil cap. That is usually the first to give way under pressure, to be followed by the one at the rear on the left. Once these two fail, the crank case and tank housing start impacting and you get a whole lot of unpleasant vibrations.

HolmenTree

Sawdust build up or sticks between the fuel tank and crankcase can stir up alot of vibration too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

49er

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 24, 2016, 08:44:33 AM
Sawdust build up or sticks between the fuel tank and crankcase can stir up alot of vibration too.
I blow my saws off at the end of the day, just part of maintenance. But if I was a pro logger or arborist I'd probably be too tired to do it.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Wildman Ben

what do you mean varios buffer options? like after market bushings? I've seen those at jacks small engines but I don't know if its just the same bushing or somehow aftermarket to make it more effective than stock? really don't know but I would love to know.

on this note does anybody else feel the 461 vibrates a lot? especially compared to a 372 or something, running this thing for 8+ hours a day, day after day really adds up

joe_indi

The stock MS461 comes with the standard buffers that are relatively softer/more flexible. Options are the buffers for the Arctic and Magnum versions which are harder. The. MS461 and 460 have the same size buffers so it would be easy to get the Magnum or Arctic buffers

Wildman Ben

ah k, well i have the arctic magnum saw, the softer buffers means less vibration? so switching out with the normal 461 or a 460 would be better for vibration?

joe_indi

The softer buffers might help. Try the stock rear left buffer a change of just this buffer might do the trick.

Ada Shaker

I hear there are chainsaw gloves that help reduce vibration, I dont know how good they are though. I've also heard that some wrap pipe foam and electrical insulation tape around the bars to help with the vibration. Maybe those old racer bike handle bar grip wraps may work somewhat.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

joe_indi

Yes Stihl used to have pig skin leather gloves to reduce vibration fatigue.

Big Wood

Quote from: Wildman Ben on June 24, 2016, 11:02:33 PM
what do you mean varios buffer options? like after market bushings? I've seen those at jacks small engines but I don't know if its just the same bushing or somehow aftermarket to make it more effective than stock? really don't know but I would love to know.

on this note does anybody else feel the 461 vibrates a lot? especially compared to a 372 or something, running this thing for 8+ hours a day, day after day really adds up

you must be bucking to be working 8 hrs a day. what size wood you bucking? i run a 372 for falling/bucking 6 hours a day doing heli but i wouldn't want to just buck with it. to be honest, solid days bucking should be done with a 660 stihl which would likely vibrate worse. it's the only thing that'll hold up though lol. you might try a 661? they are alot smoother and about the only thing better about them is the power they make for bucking. not sure how they will hold up though. i would likely trade you a good 372 for your 461 to try it out. the 372 i got is ported by walkers and that's the only one i'm willing to trade.

joe_indi

Big Wood, what size bar and which chain do you use?
The 461 use the same buffers as the MS460 and 046, and except for mods in the crankcase, piston, cylinder and ignition coil, parts are common among all three .

HolmenTree

Another question for Big Wood are Bob and Holly Walker still around on the Island?
Welcome to the forum BTW.

Big Wood

i run a 36" stihl light on everything from my 372/390's to my 460/660's with square ground oregon CJX chain. easier keeping everything the same. even that 1 DL between the stihl and huskies drive me crazy lol. Bob and Holly i never knew. were they related to the walkers who build saws? Don senior and junior are still around along with John who runs the shop. never knew a Bob or Holly.

HolmenTree

Ok you must be pretty young.  Bob and Holly Walker were the original couple who built Walkers Saw Shop on Jingle pot Road, Nanimo,  B.C.

Big Wood

ya not sure, i know Don senior who is retired now. he was the one who first built saws. Bob and Holly must be his relatives. you sure you don't mean Don and Holly?

HolmenTree

Always knew Bob Walker as Bob, unless he's one those who uses his 2nd name. Bob built some fast Mac 101 hotsaws back in the day 70's early 80's.
Holly (Bob's wife)was the chief book keeper and Husqvarna dealer.

Big Wood

Bob may be Don's brother but can't be sure as i've only met Don once at the shop.

losttheplot

Bobby walker is still going strong  :)

His son Johnny has a shop in Nanaimo, he moved from Jingle pot Rd A few years ago.

His other son Donny was in Victoria for a while but he is working with Johnny in His Nanaimo shop.

Buckin' Billy Ray Smith has some video clips with him in.

If your going to Campbell river this year you might see him.

https://youtu.be/oVpcFbR02pc
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

HolmenTree

Hey losttheplot   thanks so much for sharing that sweet  vid and update on Bob. Totally awesome :)
Don't know if I can make Campbell River this summer as I'm taking the family to the Maritimes for 3 weeks in July.....but sure will look forward to it next year.

Big Wood

Quote from: losttheplot on June 29, 2016, 05:00:49 PM
Bobby walker is still going strong  :)

His son Johnny has a shop in Nanaimo, he moved from Jingle pot Rd A few years ago.

His other son Donny was in Victoria for a while but he is working with Johnny in His Nanaimo shop.

Buckin' Billy Ray Smith has some video clips with him in.

If your going to Campbell river this year you might see him.

https://youtu.be/oVpcFbR02pc

good to see some canuckistanians on this site. wicked video and that's the guy. no idea why the heck i know him as Don senior unless i heard it wrong. their new shop is on shenton road right beside the F&G building. going to google Mudge island now!

Big Wood

dang, Mudge island has gotta be a great place to be. in nanaimo but none of the city BS. i'm planning a move here but not sure where yet. most work seems to be coming from north island but i don't like it anywhere further then Campbell River. i'm just sick of the road to Tofino. makes the travel to and from camp that much worse!

sawguy21

I dealt with John Walker frequently as a supplier, a real stand up guy. I would like to meet him and see what he does.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Big Wood

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 29, 2016, 10:13:31 PM
I dealt with John Walker frequently as a supplier, a real stand up guy. I would like to meet him and see what he does.

where abouts you from sawguy? JW works the front desk of his shop and also ports some saws. as you say, super good guy. he has options in that shop many other shops would not even stock. things like the simington square grinders, bar rail grinders, foldable aluminum grinder stands. you name it, if a faller has an idea of something they want walkers have it. they are my favorite saw shop but i do more business with a closer shop to not go out of my way so often. still, they are the #1 shop on the coast offering both stihl and husky. they even got some echo in there for the home owners.

sawguy21

I worked for Power Source Canada in Delta, Walkers were one of my larger Oregon customers. I am retired but still keeping my hand in it doing some work with Paul_H at Enderby Rentals.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!