iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another newbie needing a recommendation

Started by tndulcimer, June 23, 2016, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tndulcimer

Hi everyone.  My property is full of large beautiful oaks.  During some of the larger severe storms we get, I occasionally have large branches come down.  I am looking for a saw that I can use to cut them up to use in the fire pit.  It will not be a daily firewood cutter, really only used occasionally for downed limb cleanup.  Any recommendations?

Craig

Czech_Made

I would spend $200 on Jonsered, Husqvarna or Stihl saw.  16" bar is all you need.

Myself, I use Husqvarna Rancher, I cut logs from time to time.

HolmenTree

Get either a Stihl or Husqvarna Li battery powered chainsaw. Handiest and best user friendly saw you can find. Plus you can buy the other tools that take the same battery like weed trimmers, blowers etc.

I have one of these saws for my tree service and I'm completely amazed with it. Looking forward to bigger saws in the future.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DDW_OR

Gas = echo 310, small, light, POWERFUL, easy to maintain

Electric 120v = Homelite  UT43103A, , small, light, POWERFUL, easy to maintain

Battery ?
"let the machines do the work"

Walt

These little battery saws are worth looking at. I have a Lowes Kobalt 40 volt nothing saw that is used by my wife for our firepit saw. Were in heavily wooded area and she keeps the yard and woods cleaned up with it. It stays in her yard cart. If I did it again it I'd look at a Stihl just because. Ours is good for 20 minutes or so, has a 12 inch bar and it really pulls it fairly well if I keep it sharp.
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

DDW_OR

battery - I have a Ryobi, uses the 18v battery's, works good but is slow.
the old Ryobi tools will work with the new lithium battery's, just need the newer charger

the two saws i mentioned before are my picks for light weight and power.

if you can, keep to 2 types of chain lengths. same chain type, just different lengths.

tndulcimer

Went to the dealer to look at saws.  Liked the Stihl MS170.  Anything good or bad on this saw?  Or should i consider the 201 TC-M?

Czech_Made

I would stay away from the 201, 170 handles make it safer for you.

Caloren

I have owned an MS170 for ten years and I still like it. I seem to use it more than my other saws, probably because of all the brush clearing type of work we do on our property for fire safety.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

sawguy21

I think you will find the MS170 somewhat slow in oak but it's worth a try. You can exchange it for something stronger if you are not happy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Carson-saws

Stihl or Jonsered gets my vote...for what its worth...the "size" recommended  should suit your need for your intended purpose.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ianab

Quote from: tndulcimer on June 24, 2016, 07:02:55 AM
Went to the dealer to look at saws.  Liked the Stihl MS170.  Anything good or bad on this saw?  Or should i consider the 201 TC-M?

The little MS170 should do what you need.

The 201T is a professional grade top handle saw designed for arborists to use while dangling on the end of a rope. Way overkill on the cost, and the top handle design isn't as safe for regular use on the ground.

The 170 is designed for homeowners / gardeners etc that just need a chainsaw occasionally to cut up some limbs or remove a small tree.  Buy something like that and use the money you save to buy the safety gear and a sharpening kit (a simple file and guide works fine).

Doesn't matter how good the saw is, it's useless if you can't keep the chain sharp, and they can all bite, ruin your hearing or throw rubbish into your eye.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DDW_OR

Quote from: tndulcimer on June 23, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
Hi everyone.  My property is full of large beautiful oaks.  During some of the larger severe storms we get, I occasionally have large branches come down.  I am looking for a saw that I can use to cut them up to use in the fire pit.  It will not be a daily firewood cutter, really only used occasionally for downed limb cleanup.  Any recommendations?

Craig

$200 = echo 310, small, light, POWERFUL, easy to maintain

$50 = Homelite  UT43103A, , small, light, POWERFUL, easy to maintain

$350 = MS170

i use the Echo and Homelite when i am logging and milling. Echo for de-limbing and the Homelite at the sawmill
both are great saws.
and since you stated the saw will be used "......occasionally for downed limb cleanup" why spend the extra $$ for a higher priced saw, use the $$ saved for a fire-pit get-together.

dougand3

The MS170 was recently on sale for $159 and normally is $179. Don't know where $350 comes from.
OP, do you envision needing much support or will you tweak on the saw yourself? If the former, buy at a good dealer.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

joe_indi

I would opt for the 180 with its extra power over the 170. A 14" bar with the 63PS full chisel chain should take care of most of the requirement. But if your use is going to be highly occasional an electric saw would be better

HolmenTree

Quote from: joe_indi on June 25, 2016, 12:15:24 AM
But if your use is going to be highly occasional an electric saw would be better
Highly recommended, even for regular use Joe

These new battery powered saws are torque monsters with amazing cutting capabilities. 
I use mine in my business , got a spare battery and will disassemble a whole tree from top down,bucking up into rounds included easily on one battery charge.
Also great at the chipper.
No pulling a rope, warming up or messing with fuel. And doesn't bother the neighbors as it's so quiet  :)

https://youtu.be/WDgeBY7Wwl0

cliffreaves

From one newbie to another.  I'd go as big as possible considering cost.  Once you get started trimming those limbs, you may find yourself eyeing one of those oaks and wishing you had bigger.  It gets in your blood man. 👷
  That electric saw looks awesome.  I'm going to check it out for my secondary saw.

motohed

I would lean torward the lithium ion battery saws , if you only use it every couple monthes or so . The gas that we get now does'nt store well , and you will be having issues , if you don't run them often enough . It would be great if the come out with a charger you could use in a 12 volt vehical . I'm a husky guy by nature , that being said I like the Stihl better in this case and will be buying one tomorrow , with 2 of the best batteries and the best charger . I own a campground , and do excavation and logging . My wife takes care of the day to day business of campground and I do the rest . She has a gas saw and it's always a pain , because it's small saw and very rarely gets run , so I have to fix it when she needs it . This will be perfect for what she needs and she can keep it in the office , and not have to travel too my shop to get it . We won't keep a gas saw in the office , as it is in part of the house . No gas in the house my rule . I've already lost one house to fire . I think it would be cool if the made a bucket saw like this , like the 020 / ms201t .

Magicman

I "needed" a small saw so I just bought a Stihl 170 ($159), spare chain, 3 files, and sales tax out the door for less than $200.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: motohed on June 26, 2016, 03:11:30 PM
I would lean torward the lithium ion battery saws ... It would be great if the come out with a charger you could use in a 12 volt vehicle.

I've got a charger for my 18 volt Milwaukee cordless tools that works off the cigarette lighter plug (and gives the battery a FULL charge). So it is do-able.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

John, the new Stihl and Husqvarna 36 volt Li  chargers take a full 110 residential current. My pickup truck  has a 3 prong 115 plug in but not enough amps to run the charger.
These chargers have a built in cooling fan and will fully charge a dead battery in one hour.

I have a Husqvarna 536 LiXP top handle saw running Stihl 1/4" .043 71 PM chain.  Stihl doesn't have a Li battery top handle saw available in North America yet or I would own one.
Europe has had the Stihl Li battery top handles for some time now.

The little Husky 536Li XP  is a great little saw but replacing the  .043 3/8 LoPro chain with the Stihl 71PM 1/4" chain is what makes the saw.  Chain is everything.
  I hear Husqvarna is manufacturing their own chain now. They would be smart to make a 1/4" extended pitch .043 chain.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 27, 2016, 12:59:45 AM
John, the new Stihl and Husqvarna 36 volt Li  chargers take a full 110 residential current. My pickup truck  has a 3 prong 115 plug in but not enough amps to run the charger.
These chargers have a built in cooling fan and will fully charge a dead battery in one hour.

Is the charger built in to the saw, or a separate box? If it's a separate box, then one cold be made that runs off 12 Vdc, it's just a matter of convincing Stihl or Husqvarna there is enough demand to make it worth their while to make one.

The stock charger with my Milwaukee cordless tools also takes 110 Vac. The 12 Vdc car cigarette lighter charger was a special order item. I don't think it will charge the batteries as fast when using 12 Vdc vs the 100 Vac, but it does fully charge them if you give it enough time. I don't use it much, but it does come on handy when working in an area with no power.

I believe it's just a DC to DC converter, with some other circuitry to manage the charging rate and manage various "communication" with the battery.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on June 27, 2016, 07:28:58 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on June 27, 2016, 12:59:45 AM

Is the charger built in to the saw, or a separate box? If it's a separate box, then one cold be made that runs off 12 Vdc, it's just a matter of convincing Stihl or Husqvarna there is enough demand to make it worth their while to make one.

The stock charger with my Milwaukee cordless tools also takes 110 Vac. The 12 Vdc car cigarette lighter charger was a special order item. I don't think it will charge the batteries as fast when using 12 Vdc vs the 100 Vac, but it does fully charge them if you give it enough time. I don't use it much, but it does come on handy when working in an area with no power.

I believe it's just a DC to DC converter, with some other circuitry to manage the charging rate and manage various "communication" with the battery.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with the dc to dc converter. Only thing is you'll really be draining the vehicle battery after charging for an hour, you'd really have to keep the vehicle running whilst charging and make sure your alternators up to scratch.
Another methode is to have a portable generator running for the hour whilst charging the batteries, which may be the cheapest outcome, (compared to running the vehicle).
A series/parralel network of solar panels will work when sunny albeit a little expensive and cumbersome to set up in the field.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

HolmenTree

The Husqvarna battery charger is a separate box that plugs into a wall outlet.
I tried it plugged into my truck's inverter outlet (115V AC 150W) But it just cycles on and off as I can hear the cooling fan starting up and shutting down. No matter if the engine is running or not. It may fully charge if left on over night, but I fear that might damage the charger or something.

motohed

I just bought an inverter that plugs into the 12 volt port . It was just a little more expense .

HolmenTree

Quote from: motohed on June 27, 2016, 10:41:50 AM
I just bought an inverter that plugs into the 12 volt port . It was just a little more expense .
I wonder if I could upgrade my truck's 115V outlet not that I need to as I have a spare battery and I always have access to a wall outlet at my customers homes.

To run these battery saws in the woods without recharging this here may be the ticket. No fuel can, just a jug of bar oil needed.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 27, 2016, 10:52:53 AM
I wonder if I could upgrade my truck's 115V outlet not that I need to as I have a spare battery and I always have access to a wall outlet at my customers homes.

You'd probably have to rewire it. The circuit feeding the built-in inverter is probably rated for something like 15 Amps at 12Vdc. You can get aftermarket inverters that connect directly to the truck's battery that are rated for higher wattage that may work.

Most folks may never need to use something like this. I've needed this for some of our solar installations: the solar array may be hundreds of feet from the nearest power. I've also used it out in the woods when building obstacles for our obstacle course. I keep the Coot (antique UTV) running, and charge off it's electric system. A generator would also work, but then I'd have to haul that out there with me as well.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 27, 2016, 10:28:36 AM
The Husqvarna battery charger is a separate box that plugs into a wall outlet.
I tried it plugged into my truck's inverter outlet (115V AC 150W) But it just cycles on and off as I can hear the cooling fan starting up and shutting down. No matter if the engine is running or not. It may fully charge if left on over night, but I fear that might damage the charger or something.

I don't think a 150w inverter will cut it, you'll have to go for something a little bigger. You'll have to match it to your charger consumption and then some. I know those fast chargers are pretty greedy on power and can produce some heat but thats what tradies want, whilst they're using one batter the other is charging/charged. Only because time=money, but they can be slow charged as well, just drop the charge voltage somewhat, the internal resistance of the battery will determine the charge current, if that makes sense.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 27, 2016, 10:52:53 AM

To run these battery saws in the woods without recharging this here is the ticket. ...

It is doable but it'll need a complete upgrade, inverter +wiring × having to access behind the dash = $$$. Using a bigger aftermarked unit coupled directly to your vehicle battery would be a cheaper option. I'd leave the little buit in inverter for the laptop and the like if it were me. I've seen those backpacs, they carry a bit of juice, I wonder if three motorbike batteries conected to give 36v would do just as well, they generally have good crank currents.
                             AND

John Mc

Quote from: Ada Shaker on June 27, 2016, 10:30:09 PM
I wonder if three motorbike batteries conected to give 36v would do just as well, they generally have good crank currents.

In this application, you need deep cycle capability, not cranking amps (which is the ability to handle high peak loads). Most motorcycle batteries are not designed for deep cycle, though some AGM batteries can handle some cycling

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on June 27, 2016, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: Ada Shaker on June 27, 2016, 10:30:09 PM
I wonder if three motorbike batteries conected to give 36v would do just as well, they generally have good crank currents.

In this application, you need deep cycle capability, not cranking amps (which is the ability to handle high peak loads). Most motorcycle batteries are not designed for deep cycle, though some AGM batteries can handle some cycling

Will concur on that one, though I think there are some hybrids these days. They could also be charged with three identical battery chagers connected in series to charge those three batteries. I wonder if they've put out an extenstion lead that plugs into the battery comparment of the saw, for you know, those that have access to customers supplies. It'll have to supply the correct voltage but also doable.
                             AND

khntr85

Hey I tell ya I rebuilt a ms180 a while back, and I have decided to keep it....it has a 16" bar and it does a great job.... I have been using it in oak and hickory, and she hasn't let me down yet...it is light and very easy to use.....

CTYank

Rather than putting any bux into a 170/180 stihl saw, with their stamped mild-steel rods, I'd go for a Dolmar 421. One very serious, pro-quality 42 cc saw. Turns circles around those stihls besides.

Just too bad I got a 40 cc Redmax before trying a 421. Ferinstance, either will waltz about a stihl 250, and do that for a very long time. Did I fail to mention also, much better a/v?  8)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

rick carpenter

I've had a MS170 for a couple of months and I'm happy with its size, weight, and power for my use.  Like you I'm an occasional user. My only complaints are when starting it the bar handle is small enough that I sometimes bang my knuckles and the rear handle opening is too small to allow a good grip with my steel-toed boots so i have to be careful. But there's not enough wrong with it that I wouldn't recommend it.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

tranabo_bjoern

Quote from: tndulcimer on June 23, 2016, 11:18:58 AM

Craig

For smaller jobs here in Sweden like branches I run a Jonsered cs2238 with about 2 HP. Run a 16 inch bar, cuts well and with low profile chain with low kickback effect. Alternatively a battery driven will do the job, as other suggest.
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

Thank You Sponsors!