iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

two different noises

Started by r.man, June 22, 2016, 09:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I have noticed that there tend to be two different noises when people in my town are exiting their vehicles to go into a store. On the one hand you have the visitors, cottagers and locals who go to cities often. As they leave their vehicle and close the doors you hear the power locks drop and very often the chirp of an alarm being set. On the other hand you have the locals who don't get out much, when they exit the vehicle you distinctly hear the warning bong persistently noting that they have left the keys in the ignition as they close the door. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

breederman

I am in the second bunch , heck I could leave my old blazer running with a sign in the window that says
"FREE" and it would sit there till it runs out of gas . ;D
Together we got this !

DelawhereJoe

My Grand Parents never locked there house or anything for that matter, never had a dead bolt on the door till my Grandmother wanted to wander off from alzheimer's....terrible thing it is.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Hilltop366

I grew up at a rural family owned motel. I remember quite clearly watching a man putting his luggage in his trunk of his car, he would bring one suitcase out of the motel room at a time and close the locked motel door the turn off the car alarm and open the trunk put the suitcase in the trunk close the trunk turn on the car alarm unlock the motel door and get another suitcase, close locked motel door, turn off car alarm.......

I might add that the car trunk was no more 3 feet from the motel door!

easymoney

when i was growing up my parents never locked the door to the house. i don't remember ever having a lock on the door that would lock. we never had anything that was worth stealing. if someone was hungry and wanted something to eat while we was away they would have been welcome to eat whatever they could find to eat.

sprucebunny

Until 5 years ago, I never locked anything but the world and my rural area have both changed, sadly.

I only started locking my car at the post office when a young woman was going berzerk in the parking lot because someone had stolen her purse. I started locking my house because of so many breakins. I started locking my front door at night the last year because of home invasions and it has a lever so a bear could open it !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sandhills

I guess I'm in with breederman, I've never really owned a vehicle anybody else would want (or know how to use for that matter)  :D.  Our house doesn't get locked, in the summer both overhead doors on the shop are wide open 24 7, it's going to be a sad day when that all has to change.  When I was in college at UNL I lived in Burr Hall on East campus, we never locked our dorm room door and finally decided we may have to start because we kept acquiring everyone else's "stuff"  :D, it was nothing to come back from class or wherever and find 2 or 3 people sitting on the couch we "acquired" watching tv, we had great friends  :).

coxy

I never lock my truck doors  my tools and chain saws are always laying in the back  of it if they want it they can have it the payment book is always in the glove box so they get it all  :D :D the wife is different she locks every thing up like a prison

rjwoelk

Yup my wife battens down the hatches here too, and we don't even live in a boat. :laugh:
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Chuck White

One thing that's always bugged me is the "chirp-chirp" after the driver gets about 10-15' away from the vehicle, and tries to be so "coy" when pressing the button.

If they don't really want to hear the chirp, why not push the lock button just before closing the door?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DelawhereJoe

My wifes mini-van will not lock the car doors from the drivers power lock with the door open, just so people don't lock there keys or kids in by accident. However you can lock the doors then open the driver door and push the lock down manually, or just tell the passenger to do it, no saftey on that side.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

drobertson

never gave the too sounds much thought, around here keys are in, yesterday out of town I was the who flashed the lights, only because the wife asked if I had locked it while walking across the lot, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

There are different locking quirks with every vehicle we have.  I suppose whoever designed them had their own ideas about what was best.  I like some   smiley_thumbsup and dislike others.   smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

I agree Magic, my wife's old rig used to spontaneously lock itself every once in awhile, of coarse once had to be on moving day, my daughter had influenza, pretty sure I had pneumonia and we had all kinds of help lined up.  My sister took my daughter to the new place to put her to bed while we loaded, it locked right in front of the gate everything had to go through  ::), with ten thousands boxes stacked in every kind of trailer you can imagine, do you think we could find the one with the spare keys in it  :D

Magicman

It is not possible to lock the keys in PatD's car, but not so with the other vehicles.  At least the F250 has a door keypad but I have never used it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

One trick my Toyota has is that if you unlock it, but don't open the doors in about a minute, it locks again. I'm guessing this is so you don't accidentally unlock it then leave it unlocked. If any of doors are opened, then it stays unlocked. Confused me at first because I'd unlock the car from the house and tell the kids to load their stuff in. "Dad, the car's still locked". But I'd seen it flash an unfold the side mirrors?

It's also set up so you don't usually take your keys out of your pocket at all. The door handles unlock when you touch them, if you have the key on you, the start is push button, and only works if you have the key, and you lock the car with a button on the outside door handle. You also can't lock it with the outside button if the other key is still in the car, but you can use the button on the remote.

Important... Keep a spare key battery in the glove box. When it goes flat, you aren't going any place. The is a manual door key in the  fob so you can unlock the door, but that's the only thing it does. But at least then you can get to your spare key, or the cars battery if that's gone flat.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

easymoney

as you get older you learn to appreciate a remote that will honk your horn and flash the lights if you forget where you parked at the mall. i had buick riviera that had all the bells and whistles including a burglar alarm. once i somehow locked the keys inside the car. i used a long slender rod to reach by the glass to unlock it. it did not like that. the lights flashes the horn honked thinking i was a thief.

gspren

My new Subaru is like Ianab's, you leave the key fob in your pocket, hit the door button as you leave and when you get back just touch the handle and it's open. You can't lock the keys in because it would just unlock sensing the key fob, takes some getting used to. Had to explain to the wife that if she has the spare fob in her purse at a rest stop she HAD to take it along in or it wouldn't be locked.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

r.man

Heard a story last year, might be an urban myth, about a fellow who walked miles to get to his friends house because his remote battery had died and he couldn't get into his vehicle. Needed a ride to his house for his spare remote or to a store for batteries. The friend asked why he hadn't opened the vehicle door with the key........
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

Quote from: r.man on June 25, 2016, 10:24:46 AM
Heard a story last year, might be an urban myth, about a fellow who walked miles to get to his friends house because his remote battery had died and he couldn't get into his vehicle. Needed a ride to his house for his spare remote or to a store for batteries. The friend asked why he hadn't opened the vehicle door with the key........

We had that happen with 2 different drivers about a month apart at the bus garage a few years back.

Both bus drivers came into the lounge asking for a ride home because they had to get the spare keys so they could get into their cars.

My brother and I both asked at the same time, "why can't you just use the key"!

One of them said she felt stupid now, the other one just said "huh"!   smiley_roller smiley_roller   smiley_roller smiley_roller
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

FirewoodFactory

Whether or not to lock depends where I am.  I lived off East Hastings in Vancouver and didn't ever lock my car because the local entrepreneurs would break in just to see if there was anything to steal.  In the city and in rural areas my work trucks were locked if I couldn't see them; an exception being when I was on busy work sites where I would leave the keys in the ignition so it could be moved out of someone's way without hunting me down. 

I didn't worry so much about my truck when my pitbull was tied up to it.  Why is that?

I used to only lock my apartment when I went out...until the night someone came in and woke me up.  I told them to  and they did.  I locked the door and had a really hard time getting back to sleep that night. :)

Had a power lock mishap on a job once.  We were working about 40km up a logging road(and about 40km from cellular phone coverage) and kept the keys in the ignition so anybody could move the truck if necessary.  I rolled up the windows because of heavy rain and accidentally bumped the lock switch while sliding out of the truck.  I ended up punching out the lock cylinder and unlocking the door that way.  The boss was initially unhappy when he saw the hole where the lock cylinder used to be on his nice deck truck but, after cooling off, said that was what he would have done. 
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

Thank You Sponsors!