iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new mill help please

Started by SCSawyer, June 21, 2016, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Any of you guys have experience with running a mill that's powered by a tire to flat belt pully ? What do you do for better traction ? Guess I better put a story to this, I was looking for another mill and ran up on this contraption, 0 Frick mill, 56" saw, diy hydrologic log turner, the carriage is in great shape , everything is on steel , literally , its mounted to a school bus frame, I6 ford tranny and all for power , mounted still on cut down truck frame above husk with half the rear end and left reader tire sitting on a big flat belt pulley, seems to saw good " sawed 3 poplar logs this evening " except the fact that the tire doesn't get enough traction if I get to happy on the stick, I need ideas on how to get more traction.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Ox

If you can't increase the pressure on the pulley somehow, how about trying some belt dressing?  Or wax that they used to use on the old flat leather belting in the old days?  Can you wrap the pulley with some rubber belting and glue it down somehow?  Rubber on rubber is great traction.  Just some ideas to maybe kick something off...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

We need to see a picture of this thing! ;)

Or is this it (picture dated from 2009)?

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SCSawyer

Oh no lol that was another old mill, I'll post pics asap

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

SCSawyer

Well i thought while sleeping last night about pine rosin it seems to stick to anything but ive decided to try sonething else ,headed to the store I'm going to try rhino liner on the pulley !!!! Ha wish me luck,

DDW_OR

Quote from: SCSawyer on June 21, 2016, 09:43:53 PM
........ I need ideas on how to get more traction.
change tire to a snow tire, or add a tension wheel

SCSawyer

Well can't seem to load any pics it says I don't have permission ??

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Using photos in Forestry Forum topics is a little bit more complicated than some forums. The basic process is to upload photos to your gallery and them use a link to them in the actual post.

Here's the official instruction: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Good luck and give a shout if you can't figure it out from here...

Herb

plowboyswr

If this is the mill in your other post and there is no way to adjust the tire closer to the flat belt pulley you might think about getting a larger tire mounted on there. put it on flat then air it up. The  more surface contact you can make the more HP you can transmit.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

SCSawyer

I'm only running 20psi in tire , I'm not sure how much pressure to put on bearings without the worry of wearing them out, and ideas ?

DDW_OR

are these the photos

Thank You Sponsors!