iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Rite Leg Bench

Started by WDH, June 21, 2016, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Here is the latest one, made from a 9/4 spalted sycamore slab sawn at the last Project in May.  Here is the subject log posing with an old Goat. 

Here is one of the slab cuts off the log.

The wood was kiln dried to 8%, planed, sanded to high heaven, and finished with 4 or 5 coats of pure tung oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.  Once Customsawyer opened up the log and I saw all the spalt, I had him cut one flatsawn slab before beginning the quartersawing process specifically so that I could make this bench.  The shelf is one of the spalted quartersawn 4/4 boards. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Savannahdan

Wow!  That's one good looking bench.  Glad I was at the Project and now to see some of the cuttings made into something spectacular.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Don P

The quartersawn ray fleck is stunning  8)

I wonder if Logrite could incorporate some type of unbotrusive adjuster into the feet or slab mount to relevel the bench if the slab does twist a little over time.

Magicman

Yes Sir Danny, that is stupendous!!   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Legrite and Spalt just go together.....in my book.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Wow, fantastic look from the spalted sycamore both flat and quarter sawn!

Dakota

Dave Rinker

jamesamd

I am gobsmacked ,by the figure of that quartersawn   :-*

can't be found ,here or affordable , for a wood hack.

Beautiful piece
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

YellowHammer

Very nice.  Might need to keep that one!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Here is another piece that was made by Kirk Kameron using the quartersawn sycamore from the last Sycamore Project. The use of the sycamore ray fleck to make the fish scales is perfect.   

All the sycamore sawn at the last Project has been kiln dried, planed, and sold except for three narrow boards about 3" wide.  A customer furniture maker bought a good bit to make a table.  I know that it will be stunning.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Say when

DPatton

Great looking stuff. Think I may have to get a few pairs of leg rite bench legs for some slabs I have.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

That fish is unbelievable fantastic. 

The table is great also.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

I managed to get some persimmon slabs from a very large old persimmon that was on the right-of-way of a county road in North Georgia.  The tree was over 20" in diameter and had died.  I made a nice bench from one of the slabs for a customer.  She is going to really like this one.  The wood is not stained.  This is the natural color after 3 coats of pure tung oil.

She did not want a shelf, so I plugged the holes for the shelf with black plastic plugs.  The 5/16" size friction fits into the hole perfectly.  You just tap them in with a rubber mallet.  You can get them at widgetco.com.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

123maxbars

great looking bench Danny, well done
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Old rugged grain.....beautiful!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Couple more benches.  First one, the one with the shelf, is spalted curly maple.  The 2nd one is Magic Walnut. 

DPatton

Great benches WDH, but I gotta ask (and I should probably know better) what is Magic Walnut?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

Magicman

Then scroll down to Reply #5434 for the rest of the story. Magic Walnut
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!