Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WmFritz

Well worth it... that was a beauty.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2016, 08:24:29 PM
There were 500 people at the Conference, and several want benches (but not at $1050  :)), so the Rite Leg Co. will be getting some more business.

Well, I had two people who saw the bench at the Georgia Forestry Association meeting and wanted one.  So, I built two more.  One will be used as a coffee table in a rustic lake house, and the second one will be used as a coffee table in a rustic lake house, too.  Thank goodness for rustic lake houses  :).  Both customer wanted the wood to look like the donated bench.  I showed them a number of other types of slabs, but no, they wanted one that looked just like the original, except that the second customer did not want a bottom shelf.  The first pic is the original donated bench/coffee table, and the next two pics are the commission pieces.

The donated original:

The second one, with an ambrosia maple shelf on the bottom:

And now, the third, without the shelf.  I love the figure and curl in this one!

I think that I did pretty good in giving them the wood that they wanted  :).  Working with fantastic wood is fantastic. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

Magicman

Both customers should be very happy.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Nice
I need to get some of the legs to use on my pine slabs
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Just another bench.  Black walnut.  I made it for someone who gave me a couple of walnut trees, so I wanted to do something to thank him.  I like the curved shape.  It now resides under an outdoor pavilion.  Please forgive the messy shop.  Somebody needs to sweep the floor  :-\.

I just received 5 more pair in the wrinkle black finish.  The wrinkle black ones are really nice.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Rustic and bold, yet elegant. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

That shop was clean a month ago :D
Magic, that sounds like a coffee comercial :D

Savannahdan

That's a nice "Thank You."  Happy Thanksgiving.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Bruno of NH

That's a great looking bench !
If the shops not a mess your not working :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Chad,

It was dirtier than that when you were here  ;D. 

21incher

Another beautiful bench. Soon you will be known as the Rite Leg Bench Company. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I used the first prototype Alissa style bench legs that Kevin and Tammy sent to me to try out to make a pecan bench.  Of course that one is still mine. 

WDH

Just another couple of Rite Leg Benches.  This one is cherry.  I sold it last weekend.

Here is one made from some maple that laid in the log yard for probably 9 months.  It stained while in the pile, and there is some spalt.  Curly, too.  I love this one.  I made it to sell, but might just keep it for myself  :).

Magicman

Very Nice!  Those benches have character as well as personality.   smiley_thumbsup

ToddsPoint

On the benches with no shelf, you have 2 unused holes on the cross piece of the legs.  Why not cut two pieces of spalted maple the size of the cross piece and mount them on top using the two holes to secure them.  It would give you a bit of color underneath and hide the unused holes.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

YellowHammer

Those look great.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to give it a try.  What if the slab has some twist, how flat does it have to be for the legs to fit?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

If you don't have a shelf, you can plug the holes with black plastic plugs.  That is what I do.

You need the slabs flat or the bench will rock.  If there is a little warp or twist, put the slab back on the sawmill, shim it so that it does not rock, cut a flat face, and use this as the bottom reference face when you run the slab through the planer.  It there is a lot of twist and warp, choose a better slab.

I use winding sticks to test if the legs will sit flat on the floor.  Turn the slab upside down, position the legs where they will be attached, lay a couple of 1" x 1" stickers across the feet of each leg, then sight down to see if the sticks are parallel.  If not, you will be able to see which leg needs to be shimmed.   

BTW, I sold the naturally stained, spalted, curly maple slab this weekend  :).  I guess that I will have to make another for myself.

kyjondeere

I just ordered a couple sets of these bench legs.  Can't wait to get them and put em' to use. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

Stoneyacrefarm

Outstanding benches.
Nice job.
You've got the wife fishing thru my wood pile now.  :D
Unfortunately my wood working skills involve a chainsaw.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

kyjondeere

I promptly received my Rite Leg Alissa bench legs just in time to put this together for a gift for my mother on Mother's day.  She loved it as did all the other ladies at our place for lunch.  Now everyone wants a live edge Rite Leg bench!

Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

WDH

kyjondeere

I have another set of legs that I think I'm gonna use to make a cherry bench.  I still need to saw the slab and let it dry a bit.  I have a nice cherry blow down that I will use.  One thing I would also like to say about the Rite Leg bench legs, is they are nice!  They far exceeded my expectations from 2 perspectives.  1) these things are heavy and sturdy.  I knew from this company they would be more than adequate, but I was not expecting this level of durability.  2) fit and finish.  I got the wrinkle finish which is great.  Not only is the powdercoating perfect but also the welds and construction. 

I will be getting more of these in the future.  I will probably try some of the other styles and products.  P.S.  I have nothing to do with this company, I just like to share my opinion when I find great products that just work for me. 

WDH

If your cherry slab includes the pith, it will crack badly as it dries.  Better to use a cherry slab that does not contain the pith.

Thank You Sponsors!