iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 648 G2

Started by eichenberg93, June 20, 2016, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eichenberg93

Its Been a little while but I am looking at a 648 G2 to replace the 520. Its a 99 648 g2 with 24.5 tires and has 11000 hrs. Its in decent shape. It has had the engine rebuilt and recent center pins. Everything mechanical operates as it should. I was wondering if there are any problems or issues that I should look for? How good are the G2's? Never ran a Deere so it kind of a new to me. Seemed weird to have working dash lights and an enclosed cab. ;D Time to upgrade

BargeMonkey

Single or dual arch ? Winch ? 24.5 is a good tire, just narrow enough but you still have good stability, I have them on my 460. An enclosed cab with heat is nice, in the summertime it can be a pain getting hot. My cousin has 16000 ??? Hrs on his G2 now without major problems. Again with anything it's how it's been cared for. I know the power shifts in the are pricy to replace. The 6.8 Powertech deere engine is very good, just don't push your hours on service, we go 250hr max.

eichenberg93

Its a d/a with no winch. Would be nice if it had one on it. Looks like it came from the factory without one. Kind of leery of the transmission and all the electronics. I guess ya can't stay in the electronic stone age forever ;)

BargeMonkey

I have a 460 that has a few electronic gremlins, it pounds out a pIle of wood on 30gal a day. Fast. Smooth. I'm telling you that you will be happy and see big gains with a dual arch, especially something that new. I rarely use my winch,I swear my help is trying to sell the winch off it. Comes in handy but budget the machine affordlingly. I don't miss the Detroit stuff. My 440D has been relegated to TSI work and is doing maybe 10hrs a month. As long as the machine isn't beat to death you won't regret it.

newstick

The 648 G's are great machines if they are taken care of. The grapple style they used up to the H model. If it's in good shape and you do good maintenance you'll be very happy.
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

eichenberg93

Thanks guys. It seems to be in good condition. There was a e model 648 for sale up north. It had 15000 hours on it and it showed it very well. Going try it out on a job to see how good it is. I alway like getting options on new machines and no just going at it blindly.

BargeMonkey

Is that the G2 @ Lakeshore ???  Don Maki has been great to deal with, my timbco came from him and I've called him about a few other things and he seems like a stand up guy, I wouldn't sweat buying something from him.
Go dual arch, so much nicer. Yeah they like fuel but they move wood.

eichenberg93

Nope its for sale locally. Have bought some tires and tire chains from lakeshore. There good guys there and the prices are fair. Our 520 is a dual arch and there is no comparison to a single arch. Have used if quite a times to "winch" its self out and get trucks moving. When you have 160,000# to pull out you get into some situations.

BargeMonkey

120-130K is big around here, I forget you guys have the 28axle trucks and trailers.  :D. I worked out of Muskegon in 05-06 on the great lakes on a boat and looked 6X the first time I ever saw a heavy truck out there with all the tires.
I'm a fan of 24.5, I think 30.5 in certain places are to wide and it's not to bad to haul. I put 10 sliders on my 460 and my help is trying to sell the winch off it because he refuses to pull cable anymore, around here a winch is almost a requirement sometimes. Can't beat the deere winches.

Thank You Sponsors!