iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tale of two tool chests.

Started by Jeff, June 20, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

For Fathers day this year I got two surprises. My kids went together and got me a new tool chest for my new polebarn. I now have a place to start putting all of my mechanics tools that have been in drawers and various small boxes over the last 35 years. I spent much of yesterday on a scavenger hunt, finding my old tools to put in the box.  I'm definitely going to have to put some labels on all those drawers!

THEN  Tammy's mom and step dad Gene, came over to spend the afternoon yesterday.  Gene knows my appreciation for older things, and had no one to pass this on to, so I was presented with an old chest he has had for much of his life that belonged to one of his relatives. He told me the story of each tool in the box, many of which belonged to his father of the ones he knew the story of, and told be that there is another chest just like it, as they were built also as saw horses. The other chest belongs to one of his distant relatives. I'm honored to have been presented with such a gift.  I only took a few photos of the contents, but there is some really neat stuff in there that will be of great use in the future I am sure.  The saws and chisels and spoke shaves are sharp. There is a number 1 stanley plane in there that looks like it is certainly ready to shave wood.

I also finished up my project yesterday morning. My first work bench made with reclaimed lumber I got from Burlkraft before he left for New Mexico.  I built this one so I could use it anywhere in the barn. My plan is to not have any "built-ins" in the barn. Everything will be movable, and I learn how I want to use the spaces. I priced casters, and they were crazy priced, so I then saw a harbor freight sales paper last week and they had 1000 lb capacity moving dollies on sale for $7.00 I bought two, and uses the 8 castors from them to put on the bench.  :)

Probably the best Father's day ever!  It is really special to me thinking about the extremes between these two chests that will mean so much to me in the future.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I've been looking at the chest, and found that the drawers have a unique feature to help them open when they are weighted down with heavy tools. A scalloped bottom to reduce drag.

One of the cool chisels.

Dave Shepard

That No. 1 is a rare and valuable plane, althiugh I'm sure it's value is greater than its monetary value to you. It is very common for drawer sides to be made from beveled siding, but I've never seen the bottoms made that way.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

OneWithWood

So, do you ever go in the house anymore?  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Funny you mention that. Ive been thinking of setting up a cot. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2016, 10:51:08 AM
Funny you mention that. Ive been thinking of setting up a cot. :D

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

Jeff,Those are some nice gifts there, those old wooden chests are great, i see them for sale once in a while but i have no space left for them ! :-[  Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bruno of NH

Jeff
I like the old tool chest :)
There is nothing like using old tools . I love it :)
Just thinking who's hands worked with them before you .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Nice!!
Build a 4 inch shelf under that new chest on top of the other one. That way you can put stuff on the little ridge and still open the bottom draw without moving 2-3 things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

coxy

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 20, 2016, 06:05:03 PM
Jeff
I like the old tool chest :)
There is nothing like using old tools . I love it :)
Just thinking who's hands worked with them before you .
Bruno
and how much money was made with them over the years

Jeff

Tammy came home from her mom's today bearing a new gift for me from Gene's old tools that he wanted me to have.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Old School there. I watched a guy install molding with one of these in my parents house back in the 60's.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hilltop366

sawguy21

:D :D Be careful of the weight in that top chest and remember to not leave multiple drawers open. Don't ask how I know.
A clean well organized tool chest is a real pleasure.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bruno of NH

Jeff
Learned how to cut crown on a saw like that.
My uncle Punky the man that taught  me carpentry work still used hand saws for some things in the 80's :) :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

The saw is quite dull. I ried to make a cut with it, and it was a chore. It would need to be sharpened to be of any real use. Looks like I'll need to find a place on a high shelf somewhere for a display tool. I can't imagine using it when I have a power miter saw.

Bert

Sometimes Ill grab a hand tool before a power tool just because I dont feel like getting out extension cords. Trim Nailer for example, gotta get the compressor, cord, air hose etc. Nah, ill just grab the hammer and nails if the job is just a room or so.
Saw you tomorrow!

Jeff

I have a couple timber wolf hand saws that I use all the time. If I only have a couple three cuts to make on a project, that is my first choice too. :)

Jeff

Gene strikes again! Tammy was at her mom's helping her paint a deck in 90° heat today and Gene comes out of his garage with this and told her to bring it home to me. I've not tried it out yet but she said he said it was rarely used and works well.

samandothers

Montgomery Wards!  It will probably be passed on for several generations.

Don P

I hadn't seen this thread before. I learned to trim with Dad's miter box like that. I handed him down a power miter saw years ago, he liked it. Hard to know how many houses he trimmed out with that hand one and a coping saw. We were looking at my building tools one time, you couldn't get them all in a truck if you tried, I used to be able to carry all his in in two trips, and I think he was the better carpenter.

That one fine handled handsaw is an oldie, its rare for those handles to survive.

DWyatt

Just saw this thread and have always been fascinated by old  tools and the fact that they can survive so many generations, all while always being the go to tool for most projects. I still reach for the tools of my Great Grandpa in our shop, every chisel, saw, and socket with his initials, F.W., engraved into the steel.

Here's a very neat article with a little history of the Keen Kutter brand that I found after searching the chisel in the picture. Simmons Hardware Company was far before my time, too bad the morals of today's hardware companies don't parallel their beliefs. 

http://www.thckk.org/history/simmons-hdwe.pdf

mike_belben

I worked at a scrap yard for a few years.  The E-motor bin was probably 30% power tools that werent cheap when they were bought.  Ive got hawks eyes in an iron pile, and i didnt hardly see a handplane or chisel.  They dont ever go obsolete. Still got all my grandfathers and use em to this day.  My 3yr old miter saw has a bad trigger switch.  If only grand dads miter box wasnt in storage a thousand miles away.  Newer isnt better i guess. 
Praise The Lord

Claybraker

Quote from: Jeff on June 29, 2018, 08:18:47 PM
Gene strikes again! Tammy was at her mom's helping her paint a deck in 90° heat today and Gene comes out of his garage with this and told her to bring it home to me. I've not tried it out yet but she said he said it was rarely used and works well.

It's a trap Boss. Don't fall for it. Starts out innocently enough with a "free" scroll saw. Then she'll bring you a pattern for a trivet she asks if you know how to make, or cutesy lettering for that couple that just got engaged. Real woodworking tools draw enough current to dim the lights in the house.

Thank You Sponsors!