iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crooks on facebook

Started by bluthum, April 15, 2022, 07:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluthum

If you spend anytime on Facebook you've bound to have run across some official looking websites offering brand name products at 10% of worth. For a long time it was shoes directed my way like Lacrosse, Danner, Redwing etc. Today I saw 2 for Stihl products, a 362 was under $100, tax and shipping included. Obviously they know my weaknesses, chainsaws and good shoes.

They call it "shaving" or some such as they steal the real manufacturers graphics so it looks pretty real. Of course the whole thing is a scam from China. And you will not get your order for sure.

I did offer one to buy 10 881's [$180 per] paying cash when delivered to my door. In fact I would double the asking price for any 10 saws delivered.. haha.. you get my drift.

Here's my questions, if I can spot them instantly as scams, why does Facebook not spot it right off? And why do some of the manufacturers not file suit, they are besmirched by such activities. Seems like some attorneys are missing out on a payday but I'm too simple at times.

Thanks for listening to my rant...    

Southside

Who are they going to sue and how does the mfg go about finding them? Assuming they get a successful suit - how would they ever collect? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bluthum

Beats me, way out of my wheel house, part of the reason for the post.

For sure getting to the original perps [ overseas] would be big league but Facebook lets this stuff go on constantly. They  are big target no doubt with stellar legal team but also bottomless pockets.

I hate to admit this and will only do so because I believe in supporting the greater good and I hate to see peeps taken advantage of but I fell for it once!

Couple years ago it was an Irish Setter shoe scam ad. First time I'd seen such a   scam and my greed over came my sense. Anyway I ordered 3 pair of delightful Irish setter boots for $75, delivered. Couple hundred bucks normal retail. Couldn't wait to get 'em. Haha. After a while I started to inquire [email] why no shoes, one excuse after the next but no boots. I did receive a pair of designer sunglasses, some famous brand it was, doubtless genuine. Designer brand  I forget but not my thing anyway. Red herring.

Finally before it was too late I called my credit card folks and they very politely and promptly refunded me. I told the credit card rep these guys should have their merchant account revoked and he agreed. That's a whole 'nother commercial segment getting burned. Yeah I know cry me a river but the Irish setter folks are complete victims. 

Today's scammers had websites imitating not just Stihl but Home Depot, logos and all. That's pretty brazen crookery seems to me. Anybody want to but an unused pair of designer sunglasses? Make ya a bargain ya can't afford to pass up.

sawguy21

I see that too. The same Stihl ad keeps appearing but each time from a different website but probably the same scammer. I just block them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bluthum

Good response. I can't get over though, being rankled when people are getting ripped off.  Life ain't fair but some times I feel the need to tilt at the windmills anyway.

Ljohnsaw

I buy two 50 pound 3" chlorine tabs for my pool every other year or so.  Two years ago (January 2020) I was shopping and the going rate was about $160 to $180 for the pair.  Name brand "In the Swim" pair for $179.  Couple days go by and I get a tracking number to a very strange shipping web site.  My "product" left China.  Great, gonna take 2+ weeks by boat.

Tracking updates that I should see them in a week.  Hmmm.  Then nothing.  So I contact them and they say its coming.  Couple days later, the tracking site says it was delivered.  Nothing here.  I check with my neighbors.  Nope.  Then I get this little package that the customs label says is a N95 mask with my tracking number.  Covid is going full force now.  No way I'm opening a package from China!

So I demand a refund.  Crickets.  I paid via PayPal with my credit card - double protection.  I open a case with PayPal.  A couple days go by and the scammers offer 50% back.  Whaaaat!  No, must be 100%.  Then they offer 95%.  Nope.  This went of for a couple weeks.

Then I called my bank/credit card.  They opened a case and said they would have it resolved in a couple days.

Then, PayPal refunded my money, which the bank saw and closed their case.  What a bunch of lowlifes over there!  The tracking web site was totally fictitious.

So this year, ONE 50 pound bucket cost me $269. ::) :'(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bluthum

That's similar to my experience. I reckon the scammers are just playing the odds on how many peeps will jump the hoops to get their money back.  Even if it's low odds they have little overhead so one sucker is a good score. Or so it appears.  

SwampDonkey

Not only that but Amazon allows them to sell on their site to. And Ebay allows drop shippers to post Amazon products on their page that the seller doesn't own until they use your money to buy it and ship to your address, which I would think is complete fraud. Maybe not. I mean if the government will allow a patent for a fraudulent pen that can't actually detect phony money because the crooks aren't using photo copy paper full of starch sizing to make it, then I guess anything goes. Everyone has the right to be a fraud I guess. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

The first of this week I went on Amazon to place some WATCO or Minwax poly wipe satin quarts in my cart. The last order I paid is from the Rustoleum store and sells at $15.84/qt. "Other sellers", price points mostly $13.70 and were about 10-12 sellers all stated to be new sellers. I saw a few with poor feedbacks, most with zero feedbacks. I sent a feeler msg to one, and they assured me they had the product waiting to be shipped.

When you get a bad feeling it might be right, huh? :D

Thing with Amazon is you can call the Philippines' and complain, and they usually make it right.
FB is in the real world which has crooks. Thankfully, most folks are good people, all over the world.
I buy & sell both on FB Marketplace. I ran into some shady deals on new windows as but one e.g., many small time honest people sell stuff there. I have several items listed now. Always best to talk to people than decide, maybe even a call if serious moneys involved. Payment devices like paypal cover your purchases if not friends and family deals.
Amazon has added a few sellers that ship from Asia but don't say so. I check the shipping time estimate before I buy. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

jimbarry

One thing to keep in mind too is that while the product you purchase may originate from overseas, the seller could very well be the person down the street from you.

bluthum

I think the thread may have veered some. I've bought lots of stuff from partner sites on Amazon, Wallymart and more. I've gotten some great deals from Home Depot partners. recently a roll of aluminum trim coil for about 1/2 the local cost. I've sold and bought on Facebook marketplace with 100% good results thus far.

But the adds I'm talking about on Facebook are total outright scams, the "seller" does not, never has had nor ever will have the Stihl saws or Danner shoes they advertise. My point is the ads are obviously false, you see one you can spot it instantly and the perps are just out right stealing from any customers plus making the major manufacturers look bad. The last one selling chainsaws and such claimed to be Lowe's [web site had a name like Lowe'sB or similar]. 

Bottom line-If I can spot 'em at a glance how can FB not?  It would appear to this unschooled rube that Facebook is complicit whether intentionally or not. The perps of the scam are not likely to ever be held to task as they are international but it might seem FB would be concerned? 

Sorry, again, for the rant but such blatant unchecked thievery makes me livid...pant, pant....  

Ron Scott

Yes, these scams run name brand items at unbelievable low prices such as $1,000 Honda Generators for $99.00 etc.
~Ron

rusticretreater

These scams are also aided by the banks/syndicates in those countries who provide access to credit systems, provide creditworthiness, etc. for a part of the cut.

These types of scams are also prevalent on craigslist and other similar sites.   You usually find a telephone number nowhere near the area for which you are browsing and no email address.  An email address leaves a trail, so they use burner phones.  You call and they give you a sob story and say to send the money. Cashiers checks, money orders or gift cards are requested. Usually these are for big ticket items such as cars, trailers, off-road vehicles.  I have personally seen ones for cars and for a house.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!