iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Experiment

Started by YellowHammer, June 19, 2016, 10:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Quote from: xlogger on November 25, 2016, 09:04:34 AM
Well Danny I guess you don't have to worry about what you are going to do in the next couple weeks :D
At least it's winter time, so the cold weather degrade won't be too bad, and give you a few months.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

I'm a little concerned. Last time I check that boy had retired and his pace just isn't what it used to be. I may have to take my mill over there and give him a hand.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Here is some of the pine.  Very nicely blued.  Even the chips from the chainsaw are blue  :)

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dean herring

Can we get some pics of the lumber. Looks like its gonna be pretty.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Looks like you done did it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

That is really nice.  Its completely blue.  So do the beetles cause the blue to go through the whole log?  In mine the blue stops at the sapwood.   
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

From what I have seen, the blue only goes through the sapwood.  These trees are 30 years old, so there is almost no heartwood.

YellowHammer

I've had these logs stacked since September, and with the cold weather coming in, I figured it was time to take another cut at them.  I've been letting them sit, trying to get a feel for the aging process.   Here is a picture of the logs in September.

I checked them this weekend, and they had turned mostly blue on the ends as shown in the picture, so I was excited and hoping them to have the same look on the inside.  I sawed up about half of them, figured they would be mostly blue on the inside.  However they were still not as blue as I'd hoped, so I shut it down, and figure I'll wait another few months and try it again.  Its amazing how long it is taking to get the full blue, like WDH's logs.  Certainly these are blue enough to sell, but I wasn't the full blue I wanted.  So I'll just wait a while longer.

However, I did have another couple blue logs, and here is what they look like.  These are not pine. ;D

YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

That is fine, I don't care who you are, even a Crimson Tide fan.

Don P

I sawed one of those up and as the flitch slid away the shroud of turin was staring back at me. A little unnerving  :D

YellowHammer

I'm trying to source these logs now as they are relatively rare around here, although poplar is very common.
Is it caused by a mineral in the ground, if so which one, a bacteria, or something else?  The trees were very healthy when they were cut down.

Roll Tide!

YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Don P

How do it know. Those colors are not permanent though, they will tan and blend in with the heartwood. They're just eye candy for the crew.

redprospector

While y'all are figuring out how to make Pine blue, I'm makin' Bleu Pine. Kinda like bleu cheese, it's still cheese, it just cost more.  :D

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Peter Drouin

I find over the years of sawing, If you cut down the Pine at the start of summer when the sap start to run. The trees will blue up nicely.
If you cut them down say in Aug you can wait a year and the blue will only be in the sapwood.
How it is in NH.
Your trees YH might not cooperate. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I believe that the yellow pines blue better than the white pines. 

DelawhereJoe

Do you know what causes the blue in the wood, is it a mineral or metal that the tree has picked up from the ground. I know from pool work that different metals in the water will make the water or liner discolor.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 07, 2016, 06:04:48 AM
I find over the years of sawing, If you cut down the Pine at the start of summer when the sap start to run. The trees will blue up nicely.
If you cut them down say in Aug you can wait a year and the blue will only be in the sapwood.
How it is in NH.
Your trees YH might not cooperate. ;D
Figures....It does seem that I have the only pines in the world that won't turn blue.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

I can offer 2 blue pine for one persimmon, and I will gladly pay you next Tuesday  :D. 

Okrafarmer

I'm sure I could supply you's guys with plenty of blue pine logs. I'll trade for anything else, just about! (of similar size). But not Ailanthus, you can have those jokers too, while you're at it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

I betcha Peter is onto something about the blueing in Aug. I had my land logged in August-Sept once. Had a bunch of cut offs. They sat up in the woods for at least 2 years.I had that done in '06. I got a OWB in '07. I did not start to use the cutoffs until the next year,in '08. Still took a couple years to go through it all. Even at the end,I would split the wood and the wood would be nice and bright inside. Just about like I had just cut it down. Some was laying around for 3 years,maybe even 4 and still nice and bright. Yes the sap wood,maybe an inch,but not much more than 2 would be blue,a dark blue,almost black.

There is alot of dead wood in the pile too that I cut down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!