iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Experiment

Started by YellowHammer, June 19, 2016, 10:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

It is definitely all about markets.  Not the same everywhere.  It helps to be within driving distance from larger population centers.  Country folks don't want to pay for wood  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

QuoteCountry folks don't want to pay for wood  :).

x2
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Darrel

Quote from: Deese on January 09, 2017, 10:12:50 AM
QuoteCountry folks don't want to pay for wood  :).

x2

X3

Heck, I am country folk and I don't want to pay for wood. Why do you think I payed for a mill? :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Deese

This one should have some nice blue stain. Died a few months back and was left standing for a month or so. Shortleaf --I think-- There were 2 next to each other that died. One was shortleaf and the other was something else. Both were nice, but this one was the better of the two. Got the other one about 2 weeks ago. Just loaded this one up. Pulling her home after work.  8)

Cooks AE4P Edger

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Just to clarify some previous comments about how to encourage or discourage the blue stain fungi.  This fungus responds to four criteria for active growth...oxygen (not enough oxygen in the living tree...some drying is required; fresh logs stored under water completely will not stain), moisture (generally there is enough moisture above 25% MC, and above 40% is likely better), temperature (above 50 F is required and every 20 F hotter is twice as fast, but they slow down above 105 F and 130 F kills them; this is why northern people say that the logs do not stain from September until May--too cold "up north ", but in the South, 12 months a year is easily possible),  and food (sugars in the sapwood, especially closer to the bark).
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Darrel

Thanks Doc. That is helpful information.
1992 LT40HD

Deese

Dr Wengert, thank you for your response. I've noticed that the fungi never reach the heart of the tree, as you can see in my picture above. Is that because there just isn't enough food/sugars, or oxygen in that area for the fungi to survive and further penetrate to the core? Or a combination of several limiting factors that prevents further penetration?

Is there a way to encourage fungal growth throughout the entire log?

If I cut down a pine tree that only shows early signs of this fungi, is there a practical way to keep this fungi alive and spreading?

Cooks AE4P Edger

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You can keep the fungi working by maintaining the required conditions. Which would in life slow drying.

WDH

I have found that the heartwood does not blue like the sapwood, probably because of the lack of living parenchyma cells and the associated sugars, which is one of the requirements for the fungi to thrive that the Doc pointed out.  Deese, looks like those old shortleaf have heartwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I don't get any blue in the heartwood of the white pine I'm using.  However, I have found that many customers like to buy two slabs with clear heartwood, blue sapwood, and joint the heartwood edges together and build an instant farm table.  It lookes nice, with a wide heartwood main table body and blue edged trim. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Deese

I haven't had a chance to saw them yet. They are still on the trailer. They will meet the saw blade Saturday. WDH and YH, I want to use the lumber from these logs for table tops. How thick would you guys cut the slabs? I'm going to air dry them, then KD them once I build the solar kiln. They will be planed afterwards.

Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

Minimum 1 3/8" thick rough.  1 5/8" thick rough is better for table tops.  Do not saw them 1".  Too thin for table tops.

Deese

Thank you sir. I'm thinking at least 1 5/8" and most likely a tad thicker.
Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

I saw mine at 2 3/8" which still dry very quick, (it's pine, after all) and most will plane out to an even 2 inches thicK.  Stay out of the pith as much as possible to keep cupping down. 

Put the fans to them if you are air drying, it will really speed things up.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Deese

Thanks YH. I'll post pics on Monday showing the color.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Darrel

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
1992 LT40HD

Deese

I only had time to saw 2 logs this weekend. This is one of the three 12' logs (smallest one) that came off the trailer. Turned out nice.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Darrel

I've sawn lots of blue pine and that is a very nice specimen!
1992 LT40HD

WDH

Very nice.  Those knots are also excellent.  I sold 1650 bf to be used as paneling and door and window trim for a Baptist Church youth center.  They wanted rustic.  The maintenance manager hand picked all the knottiest boards to go in his office.  Spike knots in the blue pine really add to the rustic look. 

Darrel

When the snow melts and the mud dries up so I can get in, I have some big blue pine to cut. I think I'll quarter saw it just for the spike knots.
1992 LT40HD

YellowHammer

Those are very nice looking, good color.
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!