iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log rafting 2016

Started by Quebecnewf, June 19, 2016, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Weather forecast was good and tides were ok but a little late in the day so we went for our first raft of logs that we had cut and stacked by the shoreline last winter

We went ashore with the small zodiac but we had to wait for the tide to come in. We rolled a few down while we were waiting but decided to wait until the water came in . Too many with no water results in a big pile that you have to pick apart .

Once the tide comes in it comes in fast. Wife dumping them in the water and me hitching as fast as I can

Gathering and hitching up the last few. Light fading fast.
Went out to the channel and got the big boat. Came in and hooked on around 8:30. No wind at all and a nice quiet night. Got to the mooring at the mill just after midnight.

Quick bite to eat then a quick wash and in the bunk for a good nights sleep.

Early morning and on the mooring at the mill. Logs ready to be put ashore.

All ashore 170 total for this tow. Scattered about but this is better than being all packed up neat. For sure if you have a pile the logs you need to saw first are on the bottom. 230 more left for the next tow. Tides will be right again on the end of the month. Hope the weather is as nice as this trip.

Quebecnewf

tnaz

Quebecnewf, thanks for sharing.  I have really enjoyed following these threads, and great pictures too.

Tnaz

OffGrid973

Really neat, that is a huge effort to pull off without a hiccup.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bruno of NH

You work hard :)
Nice job
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures  8) 8) I really enjoy your adventures.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutterboy

Great pictures. Thanks.
Quebecnewf, when you tow at night is it pitch black, or is there enough light to see where you are going?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Quebecnewf

No pitch black. Some nights with a moon you can see a bit. All radar and GPS navigation. It's like flying a plane on IFR. You won,t crash ,but you could run ashore.
Quebecnewf

thecfarm

I always enjoy the way you log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Really neat to see your logging methods!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sealark37

Thanks for posting.  Your pictures are always great.  Do you sell lumber to the end users or do you sell wholesale?  Regards, Clark

4x4American

Meanwhile, in Canada...

good work, looks similar to what I'd call fun!
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Outstanding.

How you pulling your logs into the mill house?

Czech_Made

Quebecnewf

We use the atv and the skidding arch to pull up from the shoreline and spread them around on the rock near the mill. Then as we need we haul them over to the mill shed and roll them on the rack. Open the 14' door and roll them onto the mill and saw. 16' logs get hauled in through the end hatch onto the mill , sawed and pulled out through the other end. I saw very few 16' logs and those that I do saw are mostly 6x6x16.

Quebecnewf

Czech_Made

I dug out some old pictures from log rafting on Vltava river, around 1900 I believe.  The word is that rafting the wood improved quality.  Rafts could be up to 150 meters long, hard and dangerous work.

tnaz

isawlogs

Thanks for posting the pics, as always, great pics!    Merçi!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Thank You Quebecnewf for remembering to take us along on this log rafting trip and I look forward to seeing your second load.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Quebecnewf

Tides will answer again on the 30th of this month. Plan to go get the other 230 then. Tides will be a little higher this time and a little earlier in the day so that should be better. The big question of course is the wind. We need calm for this type of show.
Quebecnewf

Czech_Made

What do you use to tie logs together?

Carson-saws

VERY impressive indeed!.  Talk about doing this the old fashioned way.   Your skill and knowledge level is pretty much "off the charts"  Looks like your mission was accomplished and you had fun doing it. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Quebecnewf

We use rope to tie them together. I have a few buddies who are crab fishermen. They go through a lot of rope. Once it gets chaffed a bit they take it of and replace it with new. They give me the old. It is more than strong enough for my needs. I have a 1 1/4" piece of braided nylon for my main line. The logs are tied in racks of 20 then hitched to the main line one rack behind the other.

The braided line came from a tow rope used by the Canadian navy to tow targets behind their warships for gunnery practice. Bought that at a good price from a friend in NFLD many years ago. Got a good price on it. Sold half and kept the rest for myself.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!