iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New/First Solar Kiln Build

Started by TCharters76, June 16, 2016, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCharters76

Hi everyone! My name is Tom, and i live in Boise, Idaho. I have been working with wood for as long as i can remember. By trade, i am a flooring contractor. Specializing in Prefinished hardwood floors. But recently i have decided to take the leap and move into what i love and give it a go as a career! We (My Father and i) harvest trees locally and now do our own milling. Mainly for slabs to turn into tables/ bars/ entertainment centers and what not.   That is another topic for another day. Todays topic is the Solar Kiln we just completed and are ready to fill! I started documenting late into the build, so i really dont have any construction pictures, but you have all seen what a wall looks like without siding. Our kiln is 14' long and 8' wide. We are at 43 on the map, and have a 45 degree roof. The floor is 8" thick and filled with insulation. The walls are 2x4 construction and insulated as well. Flat black paint on the inside. We made this out of mostly recycled materials found at the wood recycling plant next to our house. With exception of the dimensional lumber. The windows are 5x6 double pane and were bought at a building recycling store for $5 each!! Yeah.. we lucked out there. The whole top is held in place by gravity and we have two winches that we use to lift and slide the top back. The front is tension fit and easily lifts up and out of the way for filling. We added an access door to the front in order to enter without taking anything apart. 2 fans at the top are set up on a thermostat to turn on at 80degrees F. Allowing it to rest at night. This is our first kiln, and would absolutely love some feedback. What do you see that is right? What do you see that is wrong? Any problems stick out to you??? Thank you all for your time!

Tree Dan

Hi Tom, Welcome to the Forestry forum...Theres lots to read here, and some good folks 8)

Your solar kiln looks great to me, I like the winch idea.
Have fun!

Dan
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

xlogger

One thing I see wrong is that you didn't build it at my place. Really looks good. Does it take 2 people to lift the top or can one person do it running side to side?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

TCharters76

Quote from: xlogger on June 17, 2016, 06:37:51 AM
One thing I see wrong is that you didn't build it at my place. Really looks good. Does it take 2 people to lift the top or can one person do it running side to side?
thanks! Yes, you can run side to side and crank it up.

samandothers

Looks great!  Dad looks happy with it.   I have not built one....yet.  Are the fan blades plastic?  Not sure if I dreamed it or someone posted that depending on heat the blades may warp some.

TCharters76

Quote from: samandothers on June 17, 2016, 06:44:49 PM
Looks great!  Dad looks happy with it.   I have not built one....yet.  Are the fan blades plastic?  Not sure if I dreamed it or someone posted that depending on heat the blades may warp some.
We read that too. But figured, at $15 a piece vs. $90, it was worth trying. We are filling it tomorrow and will let you know how it goes!

samandothers

Look forward to reading the review!

Thank You Sponsors!