iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel engine maintenance

Started by Simon3380, June 15, 2016, 11:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon3380

Still looking at buying a wood miser sawmill and there are few out with big diesels and I was hoping to get some feedback on what kind of maintenance is involved with these diesels? How long do they typically last before they need major service? I know this depends on how well machine is taken care of and other factors. Just would like to get a feel of what kind of additional cost are involved with this kind of mill and see what people's opinions are.
Garbage in, garbage out

Peter Drouin

My Cat 51 horse runs good, I think I have 5000 Hrs on it. I keep the oil changed every 200 Hrs. I just sent in an oil sample to Cat to check what's going on the inside. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bkaimwood

It can be said in general terms, and it applies to most applications, that diesels like 4 things....clean oil, clean, non contaminated fuel (change the fuel filters and drain the separator), clean air (air filter), and a properly functioning cooling system. Clean/blow out the radiator, change the coolant per manufacturer recommendations. Not much to it. Pretty much the same as gas, but they have the advantages of fuel economy, torque, and longevity over gasoline counterparts....the only downfall I can think of is upfront cost, which pays for itself in fuel savings over time. They are more expensive to repair when they do break, but it's much less common, so I'd say that easily makes up for it...I only own 1 piece of machinery that is gas, including vehicles....and I wish it was diesel...😃
bk

Simon3380

Garbage in, garbage out

Magicman

Not what you asked about but do not overlook the extra torque that is produced by a Diesel.

As far as service, I keep the air filter clean and change the full synthetic motor oil & filter every 250 hours as per the manufacturers spec.  The oil and filter together are ~$35.00 which is a very minor expense.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ppine

bkaimwood has it right.  Keep the air, fuel and oil clean. Make it easy to move a lot of air in and a lot of air out.  Just like any diesel engine. My uncle was a diesel mechanic in Alaska for years. This was his mantra.  He actually invented some of the early oil analysis now commonly used to save money.

I have a Ford diesel last of the 7.3 engines and it is the best vehicle I have ever had. I have spent a lot of time around marine diesels which I have great affection for.  Dozers and skidders with diesels are very dependable. Just keep everything clean and keep the water out of the fuel.

Gas engines are an entrenched technology and many people are reluctant to give them up. In many parts of the world where fuel is expensive, everything runs on diesel.  Lawn mowers, outboard engines, everything. I have had friends that are exploration geologists. In places like Indonesia, one ton PUs have 4 cylinder diesels in them, with 6 speed trans and split rear axles.  I love diesels.
Forester

Czech_Made

Diesels are great, much more common in Europe than in USA.  I remember seeing Porsche 911 with Turbo Diesel  :o

But i also heard about companies refurbishing old diesel trucks, because new trucks have electronics and emission controls and the reliability is questionable at least.

dgdrls

All as noted by the other members.  I'll add this, the available pump diesel fuel has low sulpher content.
The "lubricants" or lubricity (sulpher) has been pulled from the fuel and its tougher on the injector pump and injectors
"Modern Diesels" are supposed to be able to handle it.  I use an additive to increase the fuel lubricity and cetane rating
for my little JD diesel.  Google diesel lubricity and injector pumps,  there are some reputable sites which detail it better that I

IMHO if you can fine a machine with good service records or if its obviously well maintained go for it,

best
D

Thank You Sponsors!