iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken Clamp on My LM4

Started by Solomon, June 15, 2016, 10:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon

Well......  after ten years of owning my LM4 I finally had a  problem with it.
The welds broke on two little steel blocks that back up the front clamp.
I loaded a 16 ft Lob Lolly Pine ,36 inches in diameter on the deck.
The front clamp is what stops it and keeps it from rolling off the other side of the mill.
The clamp was still secured at the bottom by the hydraulic cylinder so I did not lose the log over the side.
I milled the log using the turner as the clamp and some wedges and blocks to hold the log up in order to get another bite every time with the turner and we sawed three more logs to finish the job.
The next morning I unbolted the unit from the slide carrige ground off a couple of welds to get it apart .   I then took it in the shop and went to work on it with the same grinder then clamped it all together like it's supposed to be.   Welded it back together with a nice little Miller wire fed machine.
Then I bolted the clamp unit back in place, (never had to disconnect the hydraulic lines),  and I was up and running in a total of about 3 hours.  The same customer has several Silver Maple logs he's giving me  .  I see a lot of nice end grain up butcher blocks in my future !!
  Very easy machine to work on ,   and very low maintence.    I love my Log Master !!!
Best money I ever spent.     Thank You Herman and Ed Gibson !!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

derhntr

Glad you are back up and running.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Solomon

Derhntr,  I like your stand on Gun Controll.  You must be a Brother Conservative !    8) 8) 8)

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Solomon

MrMoo

Solomon, I have an LM2 it's a great machine. Herman and Ed really knew how to build sawmills. Glad you are back up and running.

Solomon

Thanks for chiming in MrMoo,   They are a solid machine.  Ten years for me and no problems ,  My mill just keeps sawig and sawing and sawing and sawing.
  Ed and Herman are Stand Up guys,  They  fufilled every promise they made when they sold me that machine.   It eats anything I throw at it and wants more.
   They are still building their LM1,  most folks can afford that.
Not everyone has fourty grand laying around to buy a mill with.
  I took a second mortgage on my home to buy my LM4 and I have never regreted it for a second.
It has paid for itself several times over running it part time,  of course Uncle Sam , the Commonwealth , and the City took about half of that.   But it more than maintains itself even with the Government in my pocket.   
I use Munkfor blades  1 1/2 x 7/8 x  229 inches.
I still need to get one of Cooks Cat Claw Sharpeners but I opted for a new 5 hp shaper this year with about 15 sets of cutters  for doors, t&g v groove , flooring, panel raising, lock miter and bevels.
My wallet is a little light right now so no more purchases until next spring.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!