iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade lub system build... almost there...

Started by ray299, June 14, 2016, 05:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

Don't know how to add pics to a post... Feel free to view my gallery. The last 6 or 6 photos I uploaded are the blade lubrication guide parts in the making. Just have to figure out how to mount themon the blade and put my shut off/adjustment valves in... Anyone have a link to a post handy on how this type of padded lub piece was mounted on others blades? I'm thinking weld it straight to the side of the blade guides....

Magicman

Put your curser in your reply where you want the picture to appear.  Click on the blue line below that says "Click here to add Photos to post".  Now find and click on the picture that you want to post, scroll down and click the blue line that says "Insert image in post", then OK.  The picture's address will be copied.  Click Preview and scroll up to see how your reply will appear.  Now click Post.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

I will add one but the rest is up to you  ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

ray299

Quote from: Magicman on June 14, 2016, 05:23:08 PM
Put your curser in your reply where you want the picture to appear.  Click on the blue line below that says "Click here to add Photos to post".  Now find and click on the picture that you want to post, scroll down and click the blue line that says "Insert image in post", then OK.  The picture's address will be copied.  Click Preview and scroll up to see how your reply will appear.  Now click Post.
Thanks guys. I can't find the " insert image in post" but maybe that's because I'm doing this from my cell phone? I'll try again when I get to a computer. Also, looking for feedback on the lub guides... What do you guys think? Thanks for taking a look.

ray299

ray299

ray299

ray299

ray299

1/2 steel with pocket milled for lub pad and bolt holes being tapped for 5/16x18 threads

Kbeitz

You can add more than one picture to a post. Just click on "insert image in post" as many time as you want.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

And you can add that picture's narrative below the picture's address.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

fishfighter

Is it me or I'm I seeing the blades driving the wrong way?

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 15, 2016, 05:26:52 AM
Is it me or I'm I seeing the blades driving the wrong way?

I guess that depends on the side you want to stand on... Standing behind the saw head my log will be fixed to the left side and the blade will be moving from left to right throwing the dust away from me...

Ljohnsaw

No, I think Fish was referring to you are lubing AFTER you went through the cut.  I know that Tim of Cooks likes to do it that way.  Cleans up the blade before it hits the drive wheel and prevents sawdust from building up on the drive wheel.  I think most here add the lube before entering the log so it slips through easier.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

Magicman

Whichever it is, you want the powered wheel to be pulling the blade through the log, not pushing it.

kelLOGg

Looks similar to mine. I lube before and after. Worked well for years.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on June 15, 2016, 12:32:47 PM
Whichever it is, you want the powered wheel to be pulling the blade through the log, not pushing it.

That is what I was thinking. ;D

ray299

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 15, 2016, 11:35:51 AM
No, I think Fish was referring to you are lubing AFTER you went through the cut.  I know that Tim of Cooks likes to do it that way.  Cleans up the blade before it hits the drive wheel and prevents sawdust from building up on the drive wheel.  I think most here add the lube before entering the log so it slips through easier.
Ah, yes, I made a lube guide for each side. And yes, the drive wheel is pulling the blade through. The questions are good, keep up the analysis of my photos. I'm doing this strictly from looking at other peoples designs. I've never actually seen a band saw mill in person so this will be pretty exciting if it works. Lol

fishfighter

What size motor you using? I found that to much lube chokes up the blade. Half the time I don't even use lube. It's like a touch and go thing. Most depends on what I'm sawing and how the blade is acting. My mill only has a 9.5hp motor.

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 16, 2016, 07:35:04 AM
What size motor you using? I found that to much lube chokes up the blade. Half the time I don't even use lube. It's like a touch and go thing. Most depends on what I'm sawing and how the blade is acting. My mill only has a 9.5hp motor.
I'm using a brand new 10 hp briggs... for now. I was planning on upgrading if it needed. for lub I'm planning on using a diesel fuel/transmission oil mix. I'll have a shut off at the tank and each lub unit will have an adjustor.

fishfighter

What kind of logs? SYP here in the south has all kinds of pitch(sap). I use water and Dawn dish soap. I don't think I would like the smell of what you using. Yes, I had read it here that people use it, but I found that what I use is just fine.

ray299

Quote from: fishfighter on June 16, 2016, 05:33:06 PM
What kind of logs? SYP here in the south has all kinds of pitch(sap). I use water and Dawn dish soap. I don't think I would like the smell of what you using. Yes, I had read it here that people use it, but I found that what I use is just fine.
I'll be cutting all kinds but I have lots of ash and oak stacked up and ready... I chose that mixture to reduce rust. O can always change over to water/soap if I don't like the smell I guess...

Thank You Sponsors!