iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker

Started by Hale87, June 13, 2016, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

My debarker arm has gotten sluggish. Everything is lubed and as far as I can see it has nothing out of place. To me it doesn't make sense for that spring to loose it's mojo that quickly??

Any ideas??

Thanks
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

barbender

The pivot for the arm can get really gunked up inside, especially if your mill lives outside. You have to disassemble it and clean it up, it may even have some rust on it that you will have to sand off.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Be sure to swing it in and out continually as you grease and continue to grease it to purge out the old grease.  I like to use a good high pressure grease.  Also, when setting up, always have the sawmill at least a half bubble high on the loader side.  You need the added weight of the debarker aiding the spring.  I also spray the spring/rod with "SLIP Plate" dry graphite.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

I sure would like to see a video on how a debarker works. ;D

moosehunter

I had to disassemble mine and clean out the old gunk. Use your enginuity to hang the debaker, it will save you a lot of time.  I used a block under the pivot arm and a ratchet strap.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

MartyParsons

Hello,
   If you pull the Debarker out of the pivot and there is gunk and sometimes even rust. I have a 1/4" bolt with a slot cut into the end. Thread a piece of sand paper and run it in the drill. Polish that top bushing area up and it should move freely.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Hale87

Thanks for the help, as usual there's an unlimited amount of knowledge shared on this board.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Peter Drouin

I only use ATF on mine no grease .
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Are you saying that you "grease" the alemite with ATF or that you do not grease the alemite at all?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

I run it back and forth [in/ out] and pant aft on the top pivots Shaff .
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

I'm still waiting on a couple pictures of close up or a video. ;D Really would like to see if I could build one. ;D

DanMc

So, I'm doing my homework on debarkers.  I know next to nothing about this, so please bear with my ignorance.  I did a bit of searching but this is the only thread I found that deals specifically with them. 

I suppose there are whole-log debarkers, but that's not what I'm wondering about. 

From what I gather, there are small debarkers that basically take a slice out of the bark on the side of the log exactly where the blade enters the log, to remove any abrasive material, so the blade doesn't get dulled by dirt, etc, on the outide of the log.  I haven't seen any photos or videos, so I'm summarizing what little I do know (or think I know). 

I have some logs that have been sitting on the ground and I'm concerned about milling them and hitting sand and all kinds of other grit.  Last year I milled one log that had dirt all over one side, so I wire-brushed off everything I could see.  After that log, the blade just wasn't the same. 

So if you experts can chime in, and especially if somebody can post a video, that would be much much appreciated!!

I'm thinking about what it would take to get one set up on my HM126 mill.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 15, 2016, 10:20:50 PM
I only use ATF on mine no grease .
It's a quick fix for me on the job to put several shots of ATF on the debarker arm shaft when it slows down.  Just remove the 9/16 bolt on the bottom, use a pry bar to lift up the assembly an inch or so and squirt the ATF in there.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!