iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue stain

Started by tmbrcruiser, June 12, 2016, 08:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmbrcruiser

I am bring in two trailer loads of ash tomorrow and I have a Baker mill on order that is now number seven on the production line. That being said I am worried about blue stain. Does anyone know if storing the logs under shade near a low area where it is a little cooler will slow down the blue stain?  :-\ :-\
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

ozarkgem

maybe the blue stain will match that new  blue Baker mill. Can't help with the wood stain. 
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ox

Keep em dry and off the ground too.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chop Shop

Blue stain sells well around here.   Sometimes I try to induce it on purpose.

This is the one time in history where poor quality wood will sell fast and bring better money.

thecfarm

No idea about ash,but congrats on the Baker mill!!
Is this your first mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tmbrcruiser

Yes first mill. I began logging when I was young and then became a timber buyer for a large mill in 1980. Now I am looking forward to retirement and want a mill. A close friend got me hooked helping him run his Wood-Mizer.

derhntr

I have never had ash blue stain. Had it water stain after getting rained out and not getting the lumber in under cover un till next day.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

tmbrcruiser

Thanks for the info. A little bit of a surprise but happy to know blue stain is not a problem with ash.

4x4American

The big mill up the road from me has all their hardwood logs underneath sprinklers 24/7 this time of year.  If you keep em wet they should keep, like a mill pond. 
Boy, back in my day..

ppine

Blue stain is a fungus. I would think that shade and moisture would make it worse.

For years ponderosa pine with blue stain was worth a lot less than clear wood. Then the marketing people convinced the public it is worth paying extra for.  Perceived value is a mercurial and elusive target.
Forester

Ron Wenrich

Watering helps keep the logs fresh, and it keeps the powder post beetle at bay.  The only watering I've seen was at a handle factory that used a lot of ash.  When ash dries out, the dust seems to be a lot worse.

We did put some veneer quality logs under shade, and that helped.  But, our turnover rate was pretty quick.  Ash won't get the blue stain unless you dead pile for several months.  Logs will keep a long time, but are prone to powder post.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ppine

Forty year ago red alder was used mostly for fire wood in the PNW.  Then the wood products people started to promote it for things like frames in furniture since it was easy to mill. Then it came out of the closet and became wood for cabinetry. Now red alder is what the rich people want in their houses.

Marketing of wood products is extremely important.  When you can take a waste material and convince people that it is better than conventional materials, then you really have something.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!