iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roofing Shakes

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 12, 2016, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I was a kid, I saw people all the time making Cedar and Poplar Shakes for roofing.
Never paid it much attention.

But now that I'm interested, what length,width and thickness is a good size?

I'll use my mill to saw them. Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tnaz

Certi-Split Handsplit and Resawn Shakes
Number 1 Grade
Description: Lengths 18-inch, thickness ½" (medium) and ¾" (heavy) minimums; length 24-inch, thickness 3/8", ½" (medium) and ¾" (heavy) minimums. Width 4" minimum. Clear heartwood; 20% maximum flat grain in each bundle.

Roof Exposure: 18-inch shakes - 7½" maximum; 24-inch medium and heavy shakes - 10" maximum; 24-inch (3/8") shakes - 7½" maximum (5" per UBC).

Wall Exposure: Single course: 8" for 18-inch shake; 10½" for 24-inch shake.

Double Course: 14" for 18-inch shake; 18" for 24-inch shake.

Recommended Use: For walls and roofs on 4:12 pitch and steeper where high quality appearance and performance are desired.

Premium Grade
Description: Lengths 18-inch and 24-inch; width 4" minimum, thickness ½" (medium) and ¾" (heavy). Clear heartwood; 100% edge grain; no defects

Roof Exposure: 7½" for 18-inch shakes; 10" for 24-inch shakes.

Wall Exposure: Single course: 8" for 18-inch shakes; 18" for 24-inch shakes.

Recommended Use: For walls and roofs 4:12 pitch and steeper and where a premium quality product is needed or desired. The 100% edge grain requirement exceeds the national industry standard.

Chuck White

I've always been told that shakes were split and shingles were sawn!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Seavee

I have nailed many hand split shakes in my younger days . But a shingle was sawn.   Shakes can be  split or sawn  ,  shingle  is usualy sawn.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Ga Mtn Man

You gonna build a jig to make them?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Satamax

Splitting them, makes them more resistant to rot, since there is no endgrain or short fiber exposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi6cPYtIoL8
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

I thought that from the title of the thread that you had had (Tom) an earthquake. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Satamax

Poston, over here we fit a lot of sawn ones. Usualy about 4ft long, 6 ish inches wide, about 1"1/4 thick, with two grooves. I'll post a pic or two later.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 13, 2016, 07:31:21 AM
I thought that from the title of the thread that you had had (Tom) an earthquake.

You have a valid argument Danny.  :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 12, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
You gonna build a jig to make them?

Don't need one. I already saw lap siding with out a jig.

Dave Shepard

So do I, but not on purpose.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I made a 20' shake last week.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 13, 2016, 08:28:26 PM
I made a 20' shake last week.   :-X

:D :D :D Put dem rollers down boy.  :D :D :D

red

Custom cut Diving Board. $300
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

smiley_dizzy  I have no idea how it could have happened.   smiley_headscratch

Maybe I have one of those hydraulic cylinders that has bad seals and is leaking, or could it possibly be that it is brain fluid leaking??   ???    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 13, 2016, 09:55:49 PM
smiley_dizzy  I have no idea how it could have happened.   smiley_headscratch

....... or could it possibly be that it is brain fluid leaking??   ???    ;D

:D :D :D :D Call Woodmizer.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

red

Mr Magicman is part of the Pro Sawyer Network . As any Professional like Doctor or Lawyer he gets paid to Practice . He also cutsem and leavesem .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

HousewrightVA

Sawn shingles are nice. I make mine 1/2" thick  6" wide and18" long and put them down with a 7" exposure.

Put them on skip sheathing so they can breath from both sides.

These are mostly red oak, white oak is best but red was what I had. You need nice logs because you want the shingles clear.

My grandaughter asked for a treehouse.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

POSTON WIDEHEAD

HousewrightVA, I appreciate the pics. Good job on your roof. Ts helps a lot.

KirkD

I bet in the wind that roof shakes :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

ppine

My great uncle at the end of his career was a night watchman in a shingle mill on the Columbia River in Washington.  They used WRC exclusively and could still get old growth back in the 1970s.  A guy used to split the bolts with a fire axe and push them on a conveyor. The shingle weavers worked really fast, and it was common for guys to lose parts of their fingers if they did it for long.  They used big band saws.

Shakes are definitely split, traditionally with a froe. People made them out of old leaf springs off cars.  There are plenty of old barns in the Pacific Northwest with heavy cedar shake roofs  that are more than 50 years old. Some could be 100 years old. A properly made roof has a lot of air holes and places for the air to move through the roof. They don't leak because of surface tension of the water droplets, but they can completely dry out.  It is common to see moss growing on the old roofs in that wet climate, but they seem to last forever.
Forester

Kbeitz

I have a friend that has a  shingle mill . It's old and it spins a large flywheel with a blade on it.
You just push the short chunk of log into the flywheel and it slices off  shingles.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 15, 2016, 08:02:14 PM
I have a friend that has a  shingle mill . It's old and it spins a large flywheel with a blade on it.
You just push the short chunk of log into the flywheel and it slices off  shingles.

What does he for a power plant?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 15, 2016, 10:16:42 PM

What does he for a power plant?

Hum... I dont remember. It might have been a hit and miss engine...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

Pictures?

Thank You Sponsors!