iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM split tapered bushing/drive sheave bolts sheared

Started by 47sawdust, June 12, 2016, 07:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

The bolts that attach the bushing to my drive belt sheave sheared right off.The mill is a '97 Lt30.The  bushing and sheave are less than 2 years old.I installed them myself.
What did I do wrong? 100 hours sawing time since installation.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kbeitz

Most bushings are keyed to the sheave ...
Are you missing a key?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

elk42

Kbeitz
I think Browning flange type taper lock bushings are the only one that has a keyway
in the taper fit. T B woods does not.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Ga Mtn Man

Sounds like you may not have gotten the bolts tight enough allowing the bushing to slip and shear the bolts off.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

elk42

Be sure that the shaft and taper is very clean of trash sawdust and fretting corrosion if
so file and sand to clean.Use the torque value for the screws and check pulley for wobble
with dial indicator.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

47sawdust

The key and the bushing are intact and where they should be.I will pull them this morning.I might be able to get the sheared bolts out of the sheave,get new hardened bolts ,clean everything up as Elk suggested,and put it back together.
Thanks for your help.Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ladylake

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 12, 2016, 09:06:37 PM
Sounds like you may not have gotten the bolts tight enough allowing the bushing to slip and shear the bolts off.

Yes, when tightening those bolts you have to go around several times, there is no key on the taper.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sealark37

If you have a local Caterpillar dealer, purchase their grade eight bolts.  Assemble as above, then re-torque after an hour's sawing.    Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!