iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with dead standing oaks

Started by Greyhound, June 11, 2016, 04:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

I have about 2 dozen dead standing chestnut oaks in my forest, about 14-22" dbh, nice and tall and straight.  It would make more firewood than I could possibly deal with.  Would these have any value as saw logs?  If I had a mill, I would definitely mill them, but I think this is too little for any forester/mill to be interested in.  Any thoughts?

gspren

I think that Chestnut Oak is in the white oak family, send about half to my house, I'll burn them for you at no charge. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Greyhound

cutterboy

If the wood is still sound (not rotten) they could produce good lumber. You could try putting an add on Craigs List.   Someone with his own mill might be interested. Don't expect him to pay very much, but you might be able to work out a deal where he pays you with lumber. Just a thought.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Greyhound

Quote from: cutterboy on June 11, 2016, 06:34:25 PM
If the wood is still sound (not rotten) they could produce good lumber. You could try putting an add on Craigs List.   Someone with his own mill might be interested. Don't expect him to pay very much, but you might be able to work out a deal where he pays you with lumber. Just a thought.
I used to know a local guy with a Woodmizer, but he retired and I haven't yet found a decent replacement.

treeslayer2003

what cutterboy said. no logger will be able to move in for a couple loads.......unless you have more timber that needs cut. what killed these trees? if its really dry ground, that may be as big as they will get. other wise you may have parasites or desese. well i can't spell and neither can spell check.

Greyhound

Don't know what caused it, but it's definitely a disease.  I had the regional forester out here last spring before leaf out.  He said he could not tell for sure what it was. 

RHP Logging

Oak wilt maybe?  If they are recently dead they still have e timber value. You might have truckload of logs there.
Buckin in the woods

tacks Y

I had a small lot to clear, cut, skidded, stacked. Called a timber man who put them up for bid, did well with them. Some mills may want them but not worth it to move a machine in.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 11, 2016, 09:40:57 PM
Oak wilt maybe?  If they are recently dead they still have e timber value. You might have truckload of logs there.
i only see that in red oak here. you get it in white oak up there?

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 12, 2016, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: RHP Logging on June 11, 2016, 09:40:57 PM
i only see that in red oak here. you get it in white oak up there?

It takes longer but yes.  Especially in a pure oak stand where all roots are probably grafted.  They will survive it but they don't look good.  A dry summer or real cold winter could finish them off.
Buckin in the woods

Blackgreyhounds

Quote from: tacks Y on June 12, 2016, 08:59:08 AM
I had a small lot to clear, cut, skidded, stacked. Called a timber man who put them up for bid, did well with them. Some mills may want them but not worth it to move a machine in.
I could fell and skid them myself to an old landing.  I guess a trucker and a buyer would be all I need.  They have been dead for at least two years now, bark falling off some of them.  I suppose what I need to do is get them on the ground and see if they are still sound.  FWIW, I got 1250 bd ft from 2 red oaks (obviously slightly bigger trees) that were tipped over and dead for several years in the same spot, so I'm hopeful that these are likewise preserved.

RHP Logging

I cut about 70mbf last winter of oak that looked like that. Oak rots from the outside in when it dies like that.  Looks like red oak and oak wilt.
Buckin in the woods

Blackgreyhounds

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 15, 2016, 02:24:10 PM
I cut about 70mbf last winter of oak that looked like that. Oak rots from the outside in when it dies like that.  Looks like red oak and oak wilt.
It certainly could be red oak.  I'm not very good at ID from just the bark.  As above, looks like I have to get them on the ground to see what I have.

Ed_K

If their sound they'll make pallet grade, I sent 5 trees to a pallet mill and got $200 mbf.
Ed K

Greyhound

Thanks for the info.  At that rate, let's say 5 mBF = $1000, minus trucking. Meh.  Something to think about. 

CCC4

Yeh thats Red Oak. Be sure to contact your scrag (pallet)  buyer before you cut...they have quit buying dead standing this year in my region. I have no idea as to the why, we have sold dead standing scrag for years with no problem...not anymore though.

I would get that cut and have a good prescribed burn this coming Spring.

CCC4

Quote from: Blackgreyhounds on June 15, 2016, 04:05:35 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on June 15, 2016, 02:24:10 PM
.... looks like I have to get them on the ground to see what I have.

Almost promise you they will be sound, a few look like they been dead a little longer, white wood might be gone in a few of them but might butt off several feet and be ok

RHP Logging

They'd get better than pallet wood here.
Buckin in the woods

gspren

Where in S.C. PA are you located?

treeslayer2003

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 16, 2016, 08:56:54 AM
Quote from: RHP Logging on June 15, 2016, 09:24:10 PM
they be fire wood here

Really?  Sapwood is already gone on some and the heartwood stays good for years as long as it's not spider cracked. Some guys even like the dead standing because it has taken on a deep red almost purple color.
Buckin in the woods

Blackgreyhounds

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 16, 2016, 09:44:04 AM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 16, 2016, 08:56:54 AM
Quote from: RHP Logging on June 15, 2016, 09:24:10 PM
they be fire wood here

Really?  Sapwood is already gone on some and the heartwood stays good for years as long as it's not spider cracked. Some guys even like the dead standing because it has taken on a deep red almost purple color.
yeah picky buggers unless they out of logs....then its any thing round lol.

gspren

Quote from: Blackgreyhounds on June 16, 2016, 12:02:14 PM
Near Palmyra, 17078
That's 50-60 miles from me, if you have 2-3 cord that won't make lumber I might be interested for fire wood. I can haul about 20' lengths.

Thank You Sponsors!