iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An old friend who is old (92) with an old skidder

Started by petefrom bearswamp, June 10, 2016, 06:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

My friend has a 1979 Garrett Weldco Model 16 which he bought new in 1980 and retired 3 years ago.
He never ceased to amaze me with his logging his property until then.
Deutz engine Gearmatic winch which needs to be fixed.
slight tranny leak.
4508 hrs.
Paint is faded and chipped but there are no  signs of misuse.
Original tires with the expected amount of wear.
He is 92 and starting to fail a bit as is expected, but mind is sharp.
Realizing his mortality he would like to sell this machine.
Anyone out there have an idea what this old but good chunk of iron is worth?
I have looked on several machinery sites with no luck.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

danbuendgen

What needs to be fixed on the winch? My Gearamatic has been fully rebuilt and cost 5k in parts and labor... With a machine with only 4000 hours...but it has sat around a lot, I would expect once you are running it a lot to find more leaks. Is the motor 4 or 6 cylinder? Does it come with chains? Can you post pictures? I would think in the $10k to $18k range.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Jeff

Pete, you do realize you are using the forum to try and sell this simply by posting that it is for sale?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

I'd say scrap price or just over. I have never heard of the machine. Old skidders are a dime a dozen right now.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

North River Energy

I have no idea on valuation, but if I was in the market, I'd be inclined to pay a bit more knowing where it came from and the story behind it.
But then I'm sentimental that way.

Good on ya for helping him out. Not easy keeping the mind while losing the body. :-\

47sawdust

Thirty seven year old tires and a winch in need of repair are a consideration when figuring how to price.Firewood market is saturated and log prices are poor.Someone who loves old iron should buy it.The Deutz is quiet and the model 16 seems to have a good reputation.Lots of Garretts out west.I would price it to sell.In my opinion that means $10k to start.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

treeslayer2003

assuming its a cable skidder, some where between 5-10,000 i'd say. look at clerks and timberjacks from that era.

lopet

Quote from: danbuendgen on June 11, 2016, 06:01:26 AM
I would think in the $10k to $18k range.

Are you serious ?  It probably cost less than 18 K when it was new in in 1980.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thenorthman

The Garrett 16's are a helluva machine

Small but with loads of power.  A little heavier then the ole 15's but not as substantial as the 21's, So a guy could move one with a good trailer and a 1 ton truck.

I very nearly bought one before I bought my Deere a couple years ago.

I think I was asking 9k for it, which at the time was steep, then again at the time everyone else was selling their equipment and getting out of logging.

Now though, since Garrett's are kind of a rarity anymore, and parts is getting scarce, I'd go 5-10k, as someone else said, look around at old Clarks, Timberjacks, and any of the Deere 440's or if you can find one a Can Car C4 that would give you an idea of what to ask, note though you'll find more CanCar C5's and C6's, but the C4's where nearly the same machine (CanCar bought the rights from Garrett, so the C5 is a Garrett 21 clone, and the C6 is a Garret 30 clone)
well that didn't work

petefrom bearswamp

I have read, understand and agree to the terms of posting an ad on the forestry Forum.
I have not discussed a price for this machine with the owner as yet.
The opinions vary as to the value of this machine.
I will talk with him this week.
Thanks to all for the input.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

mad murdock

As a Garrett owner, I agree with what Northman says, very well worth keeping the machine going, it has good value way above what one would fetch sending it to the scrap heap.  It is a well thought out, well built cable machine, with a lot of power for its size.  Garrett's have always been that way, a diminutive looking machine, with surprisingly lots of power and ability to work hard, and not break down with a modicum of maintenance.  It is good that you are looking after your friend. As we age, we will all need the help of the younger ones to see that we pass on into history gracefully.  God bless you for your efforts!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

47sawdust

One thing this skidder has going for it, and in my mind it's a big plus,is the fact that it has only had one owner.When you start playing pass the skidder you never know what you will end up with.Can't wait to see a picture
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

petefrom bearswamp

Well I'm off to buy a couple of batteries and see if we can get this thing running.
I put my boat battery on it and it tried to turn over but not enough cranking power to roll it over really good.
Any advice as to what to look for before I try to fire it up?
No sign of mouse stuff in the air cleaner.
How about the old fuel and filter (s)
Any advice will be appreciated.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

mad murdock

check the fuel supply to make sure you don't have blockage to the pump,  there should be an intake preheater, make sure it is working.  hold the preheat button for a good 30 sec before cranking.  should start up with no ether if everything is functioning ok.  If you think starting fluid is needed, try wd 40 first. this eliminates chance of engine damage with too much ether.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks mad murdock
I'll take some WD40 with me on Monday.
I met  a fellow in the NAPA store Friday who said there may be what he called an air shut off on this engine on the side of the block.
Ever heard of this?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

bushmechanic

The air shut off would be on a Detroit not on the Deutz.

FirewoodFactory

I don't know about this skidder but have something to offer on resurrecting air cooled engines: 

If one has been sitting a while, open up the cooling air passages and check for any debris.  Many years a go my Father-in-Law burned up a Wisconsin engine on account of an old wasp nest on one of the cylinder walls.
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

danbuendgen

Quote from: lopet on June 11, 2016, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: danbuendgen on June 11, 2016, 06:01:26 AM
I would think in the $10k to $18k range.

Are you serious ?  It probably cost less than 18 K when it was new in in 1980.
And what did a loaf of bread cost in 1980 or a gallon of fuel. What did the average working class family take home then? Things have changed big time!
Also, I said 10k to 18k. 18k would be top dollar for a good machine. It would depend on the condition of the machine.
Have you looked on craigslist these days at small cable skidders? They are holding value like never before! Concidering what a new skidder costs, 10k-18k is cheap! I am a Timberjack guy, a old worn skidder or a good one can run you 15k-25k easy.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

lopet

I am not disagreeing with this, but believe me,  I know all about inflation.  What people always forget is, that we also had several 100% inflation on parts, shop rates, fuel etc  in the last thirty five years .  So not only your wages  went up, everything else went too.

About the skidders on   clist   I can only say that asking price isn't always the same as the selling price.
I have sold some old gear in the past, but if it doesn't owe me, it is priced to sell and it normally does.

I would hesitate to offer even  10k for a 36 year old skidder with unknown gearmatic winch problems. Also hour meters don't mean anything to me.

This is of coarse just my opinion.  You can have a different one and I don't have a problem with this at all.  :)     
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

petefrom bearswamp

Put the new batteries in, cleaned the mouse debris out of the air shroud, bee nest in there got stung once, drained fuel and replaced with new.
Holy cow!. Started up, quit once then started and ran just fine.
Oil pressure just fine, alternator appears to be charging.
Took me a few minutes to dope out how to make it move and the steering is a lever on the dash.
didnt try the winch as Don the owner told me it doesnt work, something about the brake..
Issues I am aware of with this old jewel, needs some TLC and cleanup, tires original and weather checked, winch needs repair, steering cylinders leak. probably some other hyd leaks as well, shifting linkage worn but operable
I took a video of it running, but must have been to big to upload.
If I were 20 yrs younger, I would love to have this skidder and restore it as I love to tinker.
Thanks again to all who made suggestions.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Plankton

That's a cool looking old skidder, never seen one of those before. Interesting how the winch appears to be on the cab side of the articulation. With a not much on the arch side, wonder if that makes it more balanced with a full hitch on or something.

deerguy

Wow, I'd pump that tire with some air and take that old girl out for a bit of a joy ride just so I could say that i did !!! That's a classic piece of iron right there and you're lucky to enjoy it. Old skidder's aren't all about price and productivity as most folks on here know......

Regards,

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

concretecutter

I would say around $6000 the tires look good on tread but weather checked bad I'm sure for the age never know how long they'll hold up, you saying there is leaks well between fixing everything up and changing all the fluids since I'm sure they haven't been changed in a while there's $800 bucks between filters and fluids and parts to fix leaks and a couple days of tinkering. the winch I'm sure is going to need new brake bands inner and outer if it hasn't been used in 15 plus years there a real pain to get out might need a few bearings and seals I'd say minimum $500 in parts on the winch check for broken welds really look things over remove covers the more you dig into the machine before buying the better you'll of an idea.

Corley5

Good looking piece of old iron 8) 8) 8)  I like it  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

petefrom bearswamp

Update on condition.
Don tells me that the issue with the winch is with 2 brake type cylinders that activate the drive.
He replaced them himself once and says the job isnt too bad.
He says that the the brake bands may need attention too.
A rebuilt winch is about 5 grand, too much IMO.
A nice feature is the sloping hood which gives good forward visibility according to Don.
Transmission is New Process gear 4 speed and has a forward reverse lever separate from the shift lever.
Hand brake works, but foot brake needs repair.
I took my compressor there and inflated the soft tire and drove it around some.
Takes getting used to the lever steering, but it was a blast.
The rear end is locked full time.
Asking price is  $12,500.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!