iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Run the VIN

Started by Den Socling, June 10, 2016, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I was thinking about buying a used car. A Miata. A pretty little sports car that I don't need but it looked great and the price was great. I ran the VIN and found out it was totaled in a flood in Texas and came from a salvage yard. I nearly got screwed. Check the VIN if you don't know a used car and are considering buying it. Free and it takes a minute.

Peter Drouin

But, I bet it was cheap. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Den Socling

Nearly $5000 under appraised price. Leather seats and all.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Den.....where or what website did you run the Vin?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

We call them submarines up here.
They show up after a big flood some where in the country :(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Den Socling

I just entered the VIN in my browser and it it took me straight to the salvage yard. I use Chrome.

Ford_man

I rebuilt a flood car a few years ago, I think the best way to rebuild one is to find a big press and squeeze the water out of them.

sandhills

Don't feel alone, years ago I bought a '83 Ford with a brand new rebuilt 6.9 diesel in it, in the process of cleaning out the cab I found the insurance papers for said engine, it had sat under water for a day or two  :-\.  I rebuilt the rest of it from front to rear (other than body work) and it still is the most favorite pickup I've owned

Josef

years ago, in what seems like a lifetime ago, I worked for a lincoln mercury dealer who bought several brand new "flood" cars. They were in a lower hold on a ship that flooded, 1972 pantera's. My job that summer was to completely rebuild one of those beauties, when he asked the shop to do it I about climbed over the other techs to get the job. Part of the perks was weekend visitation rights as we got close to finishing the rebuild. I remember a ticket I collected on 9A in upstate NY cruising at 2am with a friend, 102 miles over the sl. Loved that car, and almost cried when he sold it. I took it apart all the way down to the crank, and rebuilt it one piece at a time, on the clock at about min wage. Being 19 and on salary was great, but I'd probably have done it for free. Salt water sure can cause major problems.
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Den Socling

Years ago a buddy of mine bought a Pantera. When he took me for a ride and pushed the peddle to the floor, I was pushed backwards into the seat! It felt like a couple G's slamming me backwards. WOW

Texas Ranger

After this spring there will be thousands of waterdogs coming out of Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

Whats really crazy?

I have a Japanese Toyota hatchback that would match a Pantera  over a 1/4 mile.

It looks a lot like the US Toyota Matrix, but with the engine from a Lexus RX350 / ES 350, or a Lotus Evora. 

Lil's words when she first went for a drive in it " #$^$&$, You have got be be kidding me" And that's a quote   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

We had 'flood cars' appear after Katrina, it took a bit of time before the problem became apparent as there was no Canadian history on them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

I ran the VIN on another Miata this morning. This time it didn't take me to a salvage yard. It took me to a bunch of companies that wanted paid for a report. This one was also a 2012 Grand Touring but it was $7000 more. I guess there is no bad history with this one! I can't afford it but dreams are cheap!

Thank You Sponsors!