iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Houston... We have a problem!

Started by timberlinetree, June 10, 2016, 05:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

This space looking thing got fried and is obsolete. I dont think i can make one in the garage. At the moment this $12k lift is just scrap! :-\
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

This is a nightmare in the making for many, as much as I like the technologie, it is so frightening to know that so small a peice can virtualy kill it.

There's one of them on my mill and it scares me every time I think of it.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ox

This may be a silly question and I mean no disrespect, but did you check that little 10 amp fuse?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

never finished

What I can't figure out is how stuff use to work with out such parts.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Ox on June 10, 2016, 10:07:00 AM
This may be a silly question and I mean no disrespect, but did you check that little 10 amp fuse?

That was kind of like "where's Waldo" :D  I guess I'm showing my age - I was looking for a glass fuse...  And I could not figure out how you could have read it.  I can barely read them when I have them in my hand twisting them around under a bright light!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ox

I can see how fun that woulda been looking for a glass tube!  :D

So....is the little red 10 amp spade fuse OK?  I've brought things back from the dead just by changing one of these special little fuses.  If this doesn't fix it, there's gotta be a circuit board repair place somewhere.

Update:  There is.  I just did a quick google search and there's around 4 that pop up.  It's an option for you, at least.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

Here is another thought. Those big old circuits made from hundreds of discreet devices can often be replaced now days with a cheap little PLC. For instance, my son took on an old sort line. The sort line was supposed to sort wood dimensions by length and put the pieces in the proper bin. It had an ancient computer and a lot of associated hardware. Garrett threw everything in the garbage and installed a cheap little PLC.

dgdrls

Do you know what fried it?
check the board carefully on both sides,  make certain the coating isn't failed/failing and flaking and check for exposed/broken circuit path(s).

Son and I repaired the board on his Ram truck, road salt was able to enter the box and was eroding a portion of the board,
caught it quick enough,  cleaned with pure alcohol and then sealed the exposed circuit with 100% silicone

Good luck with it,   did the little red fuse help?

D

timberlinetree

Thanks for all the help! The fuse is ok( wish it kept this thing from smoking) and the original maker is going to try to make a new on up in Canada, meanwhile we sent it to NC. to a chip board fix it place. I'll be waiting like a chicken on eggs to see what happens next. Its tough to see the fried part in the front,the back is a different story.

This thing is really neat and I might just frame it.

Ox

Yikes, now I can see it.  Looks like a few other places look "rusty" and were about ready to cook as well?  It sounds like you're getting things done, that's good.  Never good to sit on your hands and cry woe is me!  This is what made America great in the first place - movers and shakers.  Keep us posted, bud.

grouch

Looks like some more cooking has been going on, too. Turn the board so the "2309" silk-screened in the middle is upright, then look at the components to the right of that, one with 4 legs but otherwise looks like a power regulator and one that just looks like a black blob. Are those overheated or is it just image blur?
Find something to do that interests you.

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isawlogs

How does one find a place to "fix" these things...   Maybe how does one word out the gooogle question. I have one here off my mill that could be sent out to be fixed and have as a spare.  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ox

I just googled "circuit board repair" and had several hits.

DelawhereJoe

Replacing circuit boards on pool heaters and chlorine generators is the way to go, not worth trying to fix then cause something else is going bad on it in the next year or so. Parts aren't made to last anymore....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

timberlinetree

Thanks. Unfortunately the circuit board fix it place can't fix it. I am very thankful that this happened to us before we sold this so someone else didn't get stuck with a major problem. And I'm very thankful it didn't happen while I was up in the air. Its a 2002 Bill Max xlb 4725A. 

Ox

So what happens now?  Can that one place make you a new board?

grouch

Is the manufacturer still in business?

Is there a schematic for that circuit? Might be able to use discreet components and something like an arduino to substitute.

21incher

It has always amazed me how all electronic devices run on smoke. Once the smoke leaks out, it is all over. Can you at least get a schematic for the unit to see what it would take to create a new control scheme. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

timberlinetree

We are now going to send it to Canada to the om and hope they can make a new one. It is not going to be cheep :-\.

Ox

That sucks being backed into a corner and having no way out.  It seems like nowadays we have to look at each machine we want and go through and see if all parts are still available.  Of course that availability could change over night.  I hope you guys make out OK.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on June 17, 2016, 07:16:02 PM
It has always amazed me how all electronic devices run on smoke. Once the smoke leaks out, it is all over. Can you at least get a schematic for the unit to see what it would take to create a new control scheme. :)

They got that covered today...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bark Beetle

You don't work wood, you work with wood.

grouch

If a machine in a rough environment is going to depend on a magic black box, the components of that box should, at least, be mil spec. Its inputs and outputs should be protected, too. The printed circuit board traces and ICs shouldn't have to act as fuses. (The real world doesn't always confine itself to the limits of the drawings and imaginings of the geek engineer at his or her desk).

Did you figure out what melted it in the first place?

Thank You Sponsors!