iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightweight BSM for Remote Project

Started by jwyatt375, June 09, 2016, 12:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwyatt375

Hello FF members,

I'm new to the forum and have tried to search for my question but have come up empty handed, so please forgive my ignorance if the answer is already out there.  Here's my question: What is a solid, yet lightweight, BSM that can be moved in the back of a truck, loaded into a boat, and then off loaded on a remote parcel to cut beams, planks, etc for a timber frame cabin?

Here's the background.  My wife and I are going to be retiring from the military in a couple years and our goal is to build a small (16' x 20') timber frame cabin on some remote property in Alaska with our three kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) and spend some good quality family time before starting second careers.  The challenge is that the property is only accessible by boat or snow machine and it is not feasible to cut the timbers at home and then haul them to the property so I'm left with getting a mill and milling the timbers myself.  This means I need a mill that is truly portable, preferably moved by 2 people (i.e. my wife and I) but sturdy enough to loaded / unloaded a number of times.  The plan would be to haul the mill out the property and leave it in place until the cabin is complete and since I'm not using any log handling machines (except for a chainsaw winch, cant hooks, etc) I don't think I'll be tackling any really large (greater than 28" in diameter) trees.  The truck and boat will haul pretty much anything I put in them so the real limiting factor is what my wife and I can move by hand or with simple pulleys.

Thanks for your help and any advice you would like to share.

Jeff

kelLOGg

I don't think you want a band saw mill for the task. I think you need a swing mill like a Lucas or Peterson. I've already told you more than I know so wait for others to chime in. Good luck and welcome to the FF.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Hilltop366

Welcome jwyatt375, sounds like a great adventure!

The first thing that came to mind for a "light weight" mill is a Jobber J-200. I really know nothing about them but thought they looked more portable than most. Here is a link to a short forum thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=30301.0

The biggest problem I see with taking a bsm in the remote bush is the tools and ability to maintain your blades or having to have lots of blades on hand. This is were a chainsaw mill shines, by spending less than $200 you could have every thing you need to sharpen and repair saw chains for a long time.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Magicman

Hello jwyatt375, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I admire your plans.

Wood-Mizer once made an aluminum LT20 for portable use and used ones still pop up from time to time.  As previously mentioned, blade handling and sharpening could be an issue.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jwyatt375

All,

Thanks for the response and the welcome. 

My buddy is using an Alaskan mill for a 3 sided (D-shaped) log cabin and he said it worked but that it's very slow.  I have planked some logs with my Stihl 441, a ripping chain, and Granberg mini-mill and have to agree with him (but what's time to a timber).  I did look at the Logosol M8 CSM with an extension and that might be the best bet to start with.  I totally agree with your assessment on the challenges of trying to keep blades sharp versus the ease of sharpening a ripping chain in the bush.  Guess I didn't realize a band saw blade would lose it's edge so quickly.

Thanks again and now even more to consider.

Roundhouse

Welcome, When I was shopping I came across the Lumber Smith Elite which may fit the bill for you. I had fewer transport limitations and went for something bigger but the Lumber Smith definitely fits the portability bill.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

woodyone.john

Hi and welcome j wyatt.check out turbosawmills. I think they might have what you need.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

plowboyswr

Some where on here there was a thread on by a gentleman that had a wood-mizer LT10 that he was using over in Africa and they were doing just what you were talking about transporting by boat and moving by hand. Just how many hands I don't recall. The head would be heaviest part. The track could be broken down into manageable pieces.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Nomad

From what you've said, I'd be looking to a swing blade mill.  I've got both, and in your case it's a no-brainer.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

timcosby

my norwood ll24 was delivered on a 4'x4' pallet maybe 3' high so i think it would be pertable. 10 to 20 blades should be enough for a cabin i would think.

justallan1

My first mill was a Hudson HFE-21 and I could load it in a pick-up by myself by using a piece of the track as a ramp, so I'm quite sure that 2 people could get it in a boat without to much problem. The only reason that I sold it was it would only cut about a 19-20" log.

I don't know what you will have for support equipment, but consider that any log you mess with is probably going to outweigh your mill. I don't have any experience with CSM's, but I have seen some variations and attachments that can make using them a lot less physically demanding.

Czech_Made

Electrical power, yes/no?

I built a sawmill that fits my needs:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90578.msg1394406.html#msg1394406

faster than CSM but  - IMHO - more robust than BSM. 

It can be taken apart and moved in a pickup/trailer.

Engineer

Having owned an older Logosol M7 and reading what you plan to do, I would definitely go the Logosol route.  Yes, it is slow, noisy and cuts a wide kerf.  It is also highly portable and you do not have to mess with bandsaw blades.  Bring the most powerful saw you can find (Husky 395XP, Stihl MS660/661 or equivalent), a half-dozen ripping chains and extra bar, a sharpening guide and a few boxes of files, and whatever else you would typically bring to maintain a chain saw in the wilderness.  Don't know how remote you will be but I assume you can get fuel and bar oil.

I wouldn't bother with a bandsaw.  Too much to go wrong and no good way to fix it, or to sharpen blades.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!