iDRY Vacuum Kilns

!@#%& Popups Grrrrr!

Started by Gilman, November 04, 2004, 09:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Jeff or anyone else,
What do you recommend for cleaning up your computer for popups and other garbage.  Also, the most frustrating ones for me are hijackers.  Currently I have srng & incredifind.  Watching those two battle each other is almost commical.

Uugh!!

Went to pestpatrol.com and it took ten attempts to get there without ending up at srng.net

These people need to be caned!  If you can find these people, I'll bring a couple dozen canes to the pig roast.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

I use ad aware for the scumware. get a personal free version from www.lavasoftusa.com

I also have a goolge tool bar installed that has a pop up blocker, so thats how I handle those. I also stay the heck away from websites that have pop ups. If you are getting pop ups alll the time you probably have some SCUMware on you're machine.

Jeremy was on Tammys machine this last weekend doing crap that only 22 year olds do. It took me most of yesterday to get the DanG thing cleaned up. Adaware found almost 800 files and Norton found 4 viruses. 40 of the scumwear things had to be sought out and manually removed. Needless to say I also uninstalled many of the programs he had on there to "get" music. Most are responsible for that crap as are the websites that encourage such behavior. If he does it again, he will be banned from the computers when he visits, and maybe the house! >:(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

About the only pop-up I get is the one that wants you to pay them to get rid of annoying pop-ups ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gilman

Thanks,
I ran Ad-aware and found some but still had popups.  I then tried NoAdware and it found another 70.  Had to purchase it to remove the files but all seems to be working now.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Tom

Here is the link to Panic Ware's free version of Popup Stopper.

http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html

sprucebunny

One of the main reasons I have a Mac is because it has great blocking and alot of the popups just aren't made to work on it.
Had an IBM before and it just got to be unusable .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

If you are running XP go to Microsoft's update site and download service pack 2.  The pop up blocker works great.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

You should be aware that the xp service pack 2 does have some issues with some applications and hardware. Make sure you know how to do a windows "go back" in case you have problems.

DouginUtah

Anyone on dial-up (or even high speed):

If you want the XP Service Pack 2 I have it on a CD from Microsoft.

Send me a message and I will send you a copy of the CD.  :)

Or order it from Microsoft--it's free. If you can find the link.  :D

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Pete J

I've had good luck with spybot. I use it and ad-aware on the same machine. They are similar in function except that spybot has an imunize function to block known spyware. I got it free from www.download.com

Pete

Paschale

I used ad-aware on the recommendation of Comcast.  I downloaded it, and sure enough, it found a bunch of stuff.  I was happy as a clam until I restarted my machine.   ::)

My comp was ROYALLY messed up.  I called Dell, and the technician I spoke with said he gets about 10 calls a day dealing with problems resulting from ad-aware.  I won't use that ever again.  I ultimately had to reformat my hard drive because it messed up my registry stuff.  A real pain in the tukas.  Sounds like most people don't have a problem running it, but I won't bother with it.  For pop-ups, I use the google toolbar ad on and it seems to work well.  For spyware, I use spybot search and destroy--that's a free download from download.com.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Paschale, odds are you didnt have to reformat your computer.  Dell techs as well as gateway dont think "outside of the box"  You have a problem, they have a book that they follow depending on your question. If the answer is not found in a series of steps its "Were going to havta reformat your hard drive!"

When I first started on a computer I installed a photo editing software that changed all the associations of my jpeg files to that program.  THey had always opened up in I.E., and now they opened up in what ever that program was.

The technition sais it was a parasitic program and that I must reformat. O.K. followed him through it. Lost pictures of some of my paintings that I had sold and had no other record of them. :-/

Anyway, I find out later, it would have taken 10 seconds to change file associations. A fairly simple process that a gateway "Tech" didnt even know.  I never called a tech after that. Figured out how to do things on my own.

What probably happened is adaware found some of Dell's spyware. :)

Furby

Jeff,
I have an older computer that is not in use anymore, but has pics stored on it in a format that I can no longer access.
Please tell me..............how do you change that file format???
Pretty please???
I've tried everything I've been able to over the years. ::)

sprucebunny

Furby-- do a search for "Graphic Converter"
It changes many file formats but I don't know if it does Windows.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

I.m not talking about format changes, I am talking about re-assosiations. Associations mean a certain program will open certain types of files.  You also obviuosly need to remember many types of files do NOT open with every program. Usually files created for use within a program for that program.

Furby, whats the file extention on those photos?

etat

Furby, the program I use mostly to play with photos is ImageForge, a free program.  Example, CFI SuperChicken, and CFI Treasure Map.  When I first obtained these they were not JPG but I changed them to JPG.  If you could get it on your computer and use the option to search for 'all image types' within the particular area your photos are stored you could open these pictures, one at a time.  Perhaps you could either save them to a disc, and download them on yor computer, or email them to yourself. Then you can play with them, resize, or whatever.  Then you can choose the option to 'save as' to save these pictures as a different type format. . The type's you can use to open or save these pictures are below.

BMP *.PCX *.JPG *.PNG *.TIF *.TGA *.SKN *.ICO *.PBM *.PGM *.PPM *.DIB *.RLE *.FAX *.EMF *.WMF *.WPG *.EPS

I always use theJPG option to 'save as' cause that's the only thing i know about.  For example I have downloaded, and resaved many BMP, and TIF files as JPG.  It's really not that hard once you get over the utter state of confusion.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Still not what i am talking about.  :)

DouginUtah

Furby,

I'm not sure I understand your problem of not being able to view the pictures on your old computer. If it is because of a wrong file association here is an answer for Windows 98.

Using Windows Explorer, find your picture. Left-click on the name once only. It should then be highlighted with a color. Press the Shift key and right-click the highlighted file name. You should then see a menu which has the (second) option "Open with..." Choose a picture editing program which you know is working, or Internet Explorer.

If I've misunderstood your problem please ignore the above.  :D

-Doug
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

Doug, you can skip the entire first step. :)  You can simply right click to begin.

Sometimes the problem is that a file type is associated with a program that is no longer on your computer. In that case your instructions have to be followed every time you want to open the file.

DouginUtah

Jeff,

Not on my computer. If I right-click I don't even get Open, when the file is not highlighted. I get View>. If the file is highlighted  and I only right-click (not using Shift), I do not get Open with...., just Open.

If I choose Open with...I can then change the file association and the newly choosen program will always be used to open the file. This is on original Windows 98. SE and ME could be different. ??

-Doug

(Think I'll go plant a tree!)
-Doug

---

Jeff

Maybe thats the way the mouse functions on yours or something.  I have always been able to simply right click on a file to get a whadayawannado menu, without highlighting it first. with win 95/ ME / 98 /2000 and now X.P.

I get an open with prompt with several selections or a browse, but always the previous file association remains intact. Now if the file had NO previous association, thats a different story.
My experience, in order to change a file association you have to go into folder options and file types to permanently edit the associations.

Furby

Yep Jeff, we are talking about different things.
This puter is running win95, and at some point somebody did a little surfing through some inappropriate sites. About that same time all the image files where changed to I think a .ART file, would have to dig it out and check. Can't find a way to open them. In fact, last time I was messing with it I got so fustrated, I ended up dumping a bunch of stuff trying to open them. It needs the hard drive washed clean, but I was trying to get some of the pics off first. Haven't been able to change the file format, because it will not open them. I can't get internet access on this puter anymore, so I can't even download anything for it, it's so far gone.

Jeff

Ah! Yes, .art. Somebody must have been an AOL user. You can thank them for changing your graphic files. You probably viewed them in the AOL graphic viewer. .art is AOL compression.  I think you should probably be able to open them yet with AOL, and possibly internet explorer, then save them as a bitmap, which can be opened by most any other graphics program.

Furby

AOL huh, well it was used with AOL I belive, but AFTER the files were changed. Internet Explorer will not open them.
What did you mean by "probly be able to open them yet with AOL"? With just the software installed? Or signed up with AOL?

I think these changes happened when it was still being used with K-mart's blue light, not sure as they also used another one around that time. But AOL came long after.

Jeff

Aol uses a graphics compression to speed up web pages. when it access a file with the compression turned on , it saves the file as .art. If you have AOL installed on the computer, use it to open files. Go to file open, find the file, it should open.

Furby

Ok, thanks!
I should be digging that stuff out sometime this month yet.
I don't know if the AOL software was something I dumped last time I messed with it or not. I'll take a look. Thanks!

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

I use SpywareBlaster 3.2

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

It's free

I also use Spybot-Search and Destroy (free-ware)

http://security.kolla.de

they have a forum at: http://www.net-integration.net
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I agree with Jeff on the file association issues. Those are my experiences as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))