iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1953 jubilee

Started by Hiway40frank, June 08, 2016, 02:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

Well I got a decent trade and gave a guy 4 split cords delivered for a 1953 ford golden jubilee. It runs drives and everything works, small hydrolic fluid leak tho. What can you guys tell me about it? I know nothing about old "farm" tractors and could not pass this deal up. Also anyone out there that could help figure out where this leak is coming from?

All i can say is i am VeRY impressed at the quality of this 60 year old tractor and the way it runs, gone about 5-6miles just grading the driveway and trails on my land.

Chuck White

Years ago, my Dad had a Jubilee, 1953 was the only year they were made!

I really don't know what the difference is between them and a run of the mill 8N.

There are still quite a few of the 8N's around and lots of them are for sale, but pretty pricy!

When Dad bought his first 8N, he got the tractor, a 2-bottom plow, and a disc harrow for under $1,000.00, and today if your were to find a nice restored 8N, they are generally priced between $3,500.00 & $4,000.00!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KirkD

NAA is more HP than an 8N, overhead valve instead of flat head, 2 stage clutch for the PTO and live hydraulics. It was 32HP. I used one for years raking hay and now have its big brother the 860 made in 1956 which is 5 speed and 45HP
Both are very good tractors.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Onthesauk

Have a neighbor with a 1953 Jubliee.  His has been restored, all the way down to original nuts, bolts and washers.  Looks like brand new.  He use to take it to shows and tractor open houses but don't think it's moved out of the garage in a couple of years now.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

The 1953 is the Diamond Jubilee. My Father brought a 1954,NAA brand new and I still have it. It's just like the Diamond Jubilee,except for the round emblem on the hood. My Father had the early model,9n ?? than traded it for the NAA. He said the hyds was better,bigger tires,better motor. I think the gears are better too,slower. The NAA will go real slow,and not so grabbie on the clutch. I know the NAA will back up nice and slow,I wroked behind that tractor hooking up logs alot. My brother had an early model and he just about ran me over trying to back up 6 inches with it.  :o
I don't know about the 32hp. Seem like he always said it was around 20 hp. But that had some power and could haul some wood out.
I would gladly spilt 4 cords of wood with a splitting maul,for a tractor like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

we still have a 1953 jubilee that my grandad bought in the late '50s it was what replaced the mules on our farm ;D its book rated at 20 hp but runs closer to 26 unless it had the hot kit put in it the it will be 30-32 hp the '53 does not have a 2 stage clutch :) if i remember correctly they only made the NAA from 1952-1954 and in 1955 came out with the 600 series which did have the 2 stage clutch :) 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

I had one with a backhoe on it. It was a great tractor...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hiway40frank

Wow great info guys, its for sure 32hp well thats what the manual says. Il post some pictures of it. She runs great and the rear tires dont match but they are both new and I got a set of ring chains with it. It also came with an attachment to move logs but correct me if im wrong its not a good idea to use the 3pt hitch for that? It seem like the hydrolics would be too weak to lift a log anyway. Where did you get that backhoe attachment and that front end blade attachment? Would like to put a loader on it to use around the mill.

Chuck White

Back when I was 14-16 y/o, I skidded W/Pine logs with our 8N, worked pretty good.

Had to be careful and keep the 3-point hitch down until I got onto level going.

It didn't take much to get that front end off the ground.

But, you do what you can with what you have.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

we have snaked logs logs all of my life with it ( but do have larger tractor now) pulling with the 3 point you just have to b careful not to flip it over backwards :o f you raise lift while your pulling hard it will give alot more traction BUT be careful until you get used to it if you ar not used to tractors. if the lift  is in good working order it will pick up the front end of tractor with no problems.  :) i think you will really like it other than bush hogging  as the push hog will push the tractor until it stops turning even after you push the clutch :o and that can get you in some jams but the first time you do it just get out in a open field and get the feel of it and you wont have much trouble  good luck with it :)

KirkD

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 08, 2016, 09:35:09 PM
we still have a 1953 jubilee that my grandad bought in the late '50s it was what replaced the mules on our farm ;D its book rated at 20 hp but runs closer to 26 unless it had the hot kit put in it the it will be 30-32 hp the '53 does not have a 2 stage clutch :) if i remember correctly they only made the NAA from 1952-1954 and in 1955 came out with the 600 series which did have the 2 stage clutch :)
You are correct it was the 600's that had the two stage clutch I was wrong on that but it was 32hp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_NAA_tractor
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

sandsawmill14

i used to know alot about old tractors  dad, my uncle , me and my 2 brothers started an antique tractor show years back   the first year we took 15 tractors of our own  ;D and only had 4 or 5 more to show up but it grew pretty fast in think this will be the 18TH year of it but i cant remember for sure ???  its still a small show and some years is better than others i think around 50-60 tractors is about the biggest one so far but thats not to bad for a town of of about 380 people :D dad and moms health got bad and we just sorta lost interest without him along i guess i hadnt even been to the last couple of shows and its less than 3 miles from my house :(

timberlinetree

Concratultions!Does it have the neat emblem on the front?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Just Me

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 09, 2016, 07:50:01 AM
we have snaked logs logs all of my life with it ( but do have larger tractor now)tor in a flash pulling with the 3 point you just have to b careful not to flip it over backwards :o f you raise lift while your pulling hard it will give alot more traction BUT be careful until you get used to it if you ar not used to tractors. if the lift  is in good working order it will pick up the front end of tractor with no problems.  :) i think you will really like it other than bush hogging  as the push hog will push the tractor until it stops turning even after you push the clutch :o and that can get you in some jams but the first time you do it just get out in a open field and get the feel of it and you wont have much trouble  good luck with it :)

When I was a little kid on my grandfathers farm I witnessed my grandpa's farm hand die when stuck in clay this way. It was an AC45 but they will all do it. Flipped over and pinned him under the tractor in a flash. One needs to be very careful about this, it happens extremely fast.

My brother in law has a semi restored Ford like that with tricycle gear. Nice tractor.

Ox

If you ever decide to brushhog or any kind of other PTO work with a tractor that doesn't have live PTO or 2 stage clutch, the implement will continue to drive the tractor forward, even with the clutch depressed, until the implement winds down and stops spinning.  This can push you over a bank, cliff, up a tree, roll you over, etc.  Always use an overrun clutch on these older machines.  It's the safest, cheapest and easiest way to stay out of trouble and not get hurt!  Good trade on that old Ford, they're good machines.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandsawmill14

ox is right about overrun clutch we use one on the 641 sometimes :)

Just Me  the tricycle front end was the 900 series it was available with 3 types front end wide adjustable, dual wheel tricycle and single wheel tricycle it was also a row crop tractor so the rear end was different from the 800 series which was the same hp and only available with the adjustable wide front  :) i am getting all of this from memory so if someone thinks i got something wrong please feel free to speak up and i will dig the books out and get it straight ;D :D :D :D

frank is yours still red and grey or has it been painted blue and grey  like the early model 2000 series ???

Hiway40frank

Heres some pictures, if anyone knows about these things I need help with a leak.

If you can see in this last picture bellow the battery there is a hydro pump, below the pump is some sort of hole in the bell housing witch may or may not be some sort of releaf valve, well when you start her cold it pukes out of that hole then as it warms up she slows down to a small drip at idle then goes away once in gear. Any help would be great.

Joe Hillmann

If you tow with it keep the attachment point as low as you can.  From what I understand they are prone to tipping over backwards from people using a clevis in one of the extra holes where the top of the three point mounts to tow.

Chuck White

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on June 12, 2016, 01:27:14 PM
If you tow with it keep the attachment point as low as you can.  From what I understand they are prone to tipping over backwards from people using a clevis in one of the extra holes where the top of the three point mounts to tow.

Using the top link attaching point for towing will give added traction, but it is asking for disaster.

Don't do it, back-flip can happen so fast you won't have time to react!

thecfarm

That's a nice looking tractor. Even the sheet metal looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

That's a nice straight tractor.  You got a good deal.  As for the oil leak, I've never heard of anything like it.  It's got me intrigued. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandsawmill14

that spring thats hooked to the top link hitch that goes to the lift top has a rod in it that is one of the lift adjustments and pulling from it can really screw the lift up :-\ so can crossing a deep ditch or steep terrace that causes the top link to jam into the tractor if it gets hit to hard the lift will hang in the up position :o and you have to release it from the inside to get it down >:( but if you dont know what you are doing you can lose a finger or 2 so i aint gonna try to give details ;)

im with ox about the oil leak though  headscratch maybe you can get a picture of the hole where its leaking  ??? i didnt see post about leak before it was to dark to go look at ours but i will tomorrow but i cant think off anything other than the hydraulics that could be leaking but i doubt that would stop as it warmed up ??? 

sandsawmill14

the only hole i can remember under the hyd pump should have a teardrop shaped cover held on by one screw at the top :) but a pic of the hole you are talking about would really help :)

Hiway40frank

Ok its hard to see but take a look where the hydro pump is, now right below it you can see where the fluid is coming out. There is an open hole and I can see the clutch/flywheel spinning when its running.  All my friends say to plug the whole be my fear is it will back up to wherever the leak is and damage something.

The pump is under and forward of the battery, the hole is 2-3in under the pump.

grouch

If you intend to work it, I strongly suggest getting a ROPS (roll-over protection system) for it. (Home made won't cut it unless you're an engineer). It takes surprisingly little to roll or flip one. After you install it, try not to put it to a test.  ;)
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!