iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starting of 230 TJ skidder

Started by itsjohn, June 07, 2016, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsjohn

I have a 1970 s 230 TJ skidder trying to get running again. I put a new starter on and charged up the newer batteries, and it does turn over well, and kicks with exhaust smoke. It just wont keep kicking and run. any suggestions what i should check next mechanically.

so il logger

Have you checked to make sure the emergency shut off on the blower is open?

coxy

if its been setting for a long time make shur the rack is not stuck it happened to me on my old backhoe it would just fire then all of a sudden it started and was locked wide open  :o :o not fun  but as   so il logger said check the blower shut off

danbuendgen

I doubt it would be the blower shut off, its not like it would switch its self off from sitting around.

How long has it been sitting? Was it running good before?

If it turns over good, with some smoke, maybe its not getting enough fuel. Or the fuel is mixed with air. Undo the bleeder bolt on the last fuel filter (smaller filter), and crank it over to make sure its pumping plenty of fuel. Lots of older diesels will lose fuel prime if sitting for too long. I hate to say it this time of year, but try giving it a tiny sniff of either if it has been sitting. My buddy does dirt work all summer and little logging, he needs to either his 230 and 240 in summer for this reason. But my 240 starts up good running daily, They always start better when run often.

Good luck.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

itsjohn

where do i find this emergency shut off on the blower to check that? i will google to try and find a picture. I had it running 2 years ago, but the same diesel fuel in the tank for 4 years now. when recently i tried starting it, i was using the ether starter spray can.

danbuendgen

Hmmm, For the blower shut off, just follow the intake from the air filter to the engine, and its just a little hand switch with a spring, should be mounted on the blower cover, I wonder with fuel that old, if its got algae issues and plugged up the fuel filters. I'm working for someone else today, but I will take a picture on the blower shut off and post it, if you cant find it...if I can figure out how to put a picture on line.... I am kind of old school with technology...

lopet

If i can do it you can do it.  I am even older school with technology.  ;D

Go to The FF home page and scroll all the way down and you find some helpful videos there.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

danbuendgen

Have you found the blower shut off yet? If not, I will snap a picture tomorrow, I have been doing side work from a buddy the last 2 days.

motohed

Depending how long it has been sitting , you may have algae in the fuel , and filters along with water . i would try to drain the system and change the fuel filters , then bleed the system I like to pressurize the tank with air , and open the bleeders . it's a lot faster than the hand pump . I worked on one that had something like mushrooms in the filters . It would not pass enough fuel to start , just enough to smoke good and almost catch and run .

danbuendgen

Quote from: motohed on June 17, 2016, 10:32:20 PM
then bleed the system I like to pressurize the tank with air , and open the bleeders . it's a lot faster than the hand pump .

3-53 or 4-53 Detroit doesn't have a hand pump.

If there is a algae issue, you will need to add some kind of fuel additive to kill it, otherwise it will start growing on your new fuel. But I agree it could have a algae issue. Or water in fuel from condensation.

Thank You Sponsors!