iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Synthetic Oil

Started by Stihlowner, June 06, 2016, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stihlowner

Quote from: John Mc on June 11, 2016, 02:13:22 PM
Just didn't want you to feel jumped on as a new user. That's not what this place is all about.

No problem but a few on here don't know "That's not what this place is all about"

Stihlowner

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on June 11, 2016, 02:26:58 PM
Yes this is one topic that tends to be a bit divisive!

When it come to 2 cycle oils and MY 2 cycle equipment, I use what has been a reliable product and has not cost me major repairs along the way and is readily available at what I consider a fair price.

I see many posts from people that take the same approach AND I have looked for the product they talk about. In some cases it is not easy to get so I stick with what I know works for me. In other cases I have tried a product and I just straight up don't like the "stink"!

Bottom line I like what I like cause I am too lazy to do  the work to find something equivalent or better. Why would I want to?

It ain't broke so it dont need fixin!

I always liked trying different things.
One reason I like the newer oils is the one mix, one can for all my 2 cycle engines.
My next adventure is running an old 2 cycle engine on Amsoil Saber oil at 400/1.
There goes the one can thing out the window.
Have to get another can for the 400/1 mix.

gspren

Stihlowner, I prefer the threaded insert repair over Helicoils anytime that there is room to use them, and I have used hundreds. ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Stihlowner

Quote from: gspren on June 11, 2016, 05:03:19 PM
Stihlowner, I prefer the threaded insert repair over Helicoils anytime that there is room to use them, and I have used hundreds. ;D

Me too.
I use Time-Sert.
Really strong.
I use some red Loctite on them even with their locking feature.
Never had one come loose.
You do have to invest a little money but sometimes there just isn't enough room for a larger hole.

I have had some HeliCoils come out with the bolt but it was my own fault for not installing them correctly.
I left the coil to close to the top of the hole.
Now I cut the coil so the top of it is down in the hole more.
Never had them come loose after that.
I also install them with red Loctite.

I have a lot of HeliCoil sizes so I use them first because I already spent the money on them.
I'm not sure but I think the tap is a special size so you have to buy their tap.

Mooseherder

There's been oil discussion here but the oil wars were not held at the Forestry Forum.  It probably spilled over from members who frequent other sites but forget where they're at.
It's also apparent some don't really want to know what others think just throw some bait out to start a so called war.  That ain't gonna happen here.

Stihlowner

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 11, 2016, 06:27:34 PM
There's been oil discussion here but the oil wars were not held at the Forestry Forum.  It probably spilled over from members who frequent other sites but forget where they're at.
It's also apparent some don't really want to know what others think just throw some bait out to start a so called war.  That ain't gonna happen here.

I didn't post my thoughts, results or anything else about the oil I am using to get anyone upset or to start any war.
They did that all by themselves.
I really thought in this day and age there would be some that also use it.
I guess not many.
It is also apparent when new products come out that work and someone makes a post on them the old school folks on here get   taz-smiley  Funny!!! to say the least.

Getting pretty good using the quote function.

Mooseherder

There's a whole community here that already knows flare ups usually occur in the chainsaw board.
Breathing too much oil must have an effect on thin skin. ;)

Stihlowner

Well I think I'll just go hide behind the barn now and let you guys do your thing.
Got to head over and see what is happening on the garden forum.

danbuendgen

Oil is oil so who cares. Just run the cheap stuff in saws. When you stop and think about saw fuel, I dont care what ratio you mix it to, saw fuel is cheap. I just run the Husky pro mix from my local saw shop/logging supply store. I mix it 45:1 for a hair more oil and my saws (3 562xpg and 1 390xp) seem to like it fine, I have 6 years on my 390 and 3 years on my 562's and I run saws everyday. Again, saw fuel is cheap, and saws are cheap. Run em' when they blow, buy a new one.

Now diesel fuel and oil changes and diesel engine rebuilds are the real cost to a logging business.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Paul_H

Quote from: Stihlowner on June 11, 2016, 09:05:17 PM
Well I think I'll just go hide behind the barn now and let you guys do your thing.
Got to head over and see what is happening on the garden forum.

Thank you
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gary_C

Quote from: Paul_H on June 11, 2016, 10:36:32 PM

Thank you

Paul is a man of few words. A real Calvin Coolidge of Administrators.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Stihlowner on June 11, 2016, 12:37:35 PM

Every forum has it's keyboard commandos.   pc_smiley  tank-smiley
Every forum has it war topics.
That is what keeps many coming back.
They look around and get in on the action.
Thanks again for your interest.
This is not my first rodeo.

Anyone want to get in a HeliCoil verses Tine-Sert war???

Forget helicoils or nutserts, "Stud" mounted exhausts are the way to go, you have to stop molesting the threads on that little jug.
And brass nuts to finish the job off, come back we're missing you overthere.   :snowball:
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Al_Smith

Well now the great oil  discussion isn't really a war is it? It's more so a great debate and amusing at least to me .

Never fear in the by and by someone will start the great gasoline debate anew.All kinds of knowledge on that one .From AV gas to non ethanol marine gas which is 90 miles away for  me. Then you have the ready mix super duper stuff that Stihl sells in little cans . Then of course is racing gas which everybody needs to cut a face cord of firewood once a year ----gotta have it ---- 8)

ZeroJunk

I can buy Sunoco 260GTX right down the road for $8 a gallon. That's the ticket.

gspren

I recently found a station about 10 miles from me with Vallero 89 octane ethanol free for $3.19, same station 89 with ethanol is $2.59
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!