iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging advice from the Pros

Started by BlueRibbon, June 05, 2016, 12:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRibbon

Hello,
I own a 20 acre stand of mostly ponderosa pine. It was hit by the beetles here in Montana, and I have a lot trees on the ground and a bunch of standing dead trees.  There seems to be a very healthy crop of new trees coming up as well.  My plan is to fall the standing dead trees, limb and buck them to 8' lengths, and then move them to a landing area for sale/use ect.  I have no idea what to do with the limbs and other logging debris.  Any ideas?  Also, can you recommend any books or other resources that have helped you in the past to learn more about good logging practices?  Thank you for your advice.

thecfarm

BlueRibbon,welcome to the forum.
I have no idea how you plan on moving the logs. I am clearing a grown up pasture. I haul really only one tree at a time. I cut it down and haul the tree to a brush pile. Limb it out and then push it up into a pile. I have hauled out 2-3-4 at a time,but it's hard to see all the limbs and I think it's just as quick to haul one as is it to haul more.BUT that is only about 5-6-7 cords a year. I cut a little firewood and he comes and get it. I do pick up any brush that breaks off and put it in the loader of the tractor. It is slow,but if you don't want any brush on the ground,than it takes time.Than there is a limit to how big the brush pile can be too. Or in my area there is. Most places do not want logs any smaller than 8 inches too.
I have no idea where you are,but I would find a buyer before you start cutting logs. In this area 8 footers pay the least. There is alot to cutting logs too. There is a grade to worry about. Meaning you have to read the log to get the most money from it. Logs need to be straight and no bad places in them. Most places want about 6 inches trim,any log needs about 6 inches added to it. Than you need room for a truck to come in and pick them up. Trailer trucks takes more room than a straight truck.
Around here I could not sell a dead tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BlueRibbon

Thank you for the response, and the feedback regarding selling logs. I am in Montana.  I was just going for 8' so that we could pick them up and into a trailer, and then haul them to the landing for storage.  I would just be selling them for firewood as they are dead.  I am trying to keep the impact of machinery to a minimum to preserve the floor, and at the same time clear out the snags, fallen, and standing trees to keep the fire hazard down.  Do you chip or burn the limbs and debris? 

thecfarm

I burn the brush. I have a OWB,Outdoor Wood Boiler,so I can burn alot of limbs for firewood. Probably your brush will add up quicker than mine.
I do not do much damage with my 40hp tractor. But I pick the days and try not to do much after a rain.I cut my stumps very low to the ground too.
Be careful with cutting those dead trees. The top can break off and come right at ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Where in Montana are you located?
~Ron

BlueRibbon

Ron,
I am around Cascade, by the Dearborn River. 

Ron Scott

The nearby Lewis and Clark and Helena National Forests have had a lot of mountain beetle kill and have been working with marketing the small round wood as possible. Check with your nearest US Forest Service office to see if they can provide you with any information, or contacts in disposing of your infected pine and debris or if they have any loggers working nearby your property.
~Ron

BlueRibbon

Ron,
That is news to me and a great idea.  Thank you sir.

ppine

One of the typical treatments for beetle kill is Lindane.
You can spray the logs and the slash. It is important to knock down the infected trees as soon as you can.
Forester

Ron Scott

Montana

Dead Trees in Forest Logged to Reduce Hazard

(Great Falls, MT - June 13) - Trees killed by mountain pine beetles in the 
        Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest are being logged due to the fact that they 
        are now deemed hazardous to people hiking through the forest.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2016/06/13/dead-trees-forest-logged-reduce-hazard/85847134/

~Ron

BlueRibbon

Ron,
That is half the reason for gearing up to do this.  The other is the fire danger posed by so much fuel.  We have observed black bear, bobcat, coyote, elk, deer, skunk, and many other animals as well as birds up there.  We have a hard time getting back in deep knowing that a snag could fall on us.  Even the "yellow belly" ponderosa are succumbing, and they are huge.  I am in the midst of selecting a double axle trailer and have a few volunteers to help in this venture.  Thank you for the references. 

Thank You Sponsors!