iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic cylinder idea

Started by kelLOGg, June 05, 2016, 07:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I want to replace my log leveling jacks with 2 pairs of hyd cylinders that lift a roller so I can not only level but also slide logs/cants. I want to operate them with a hand operated hydraulic pump to lift the roller. I prefer to use 2 cylinders rather than one so I can do a vertical lift because space is limited. (A single cylinder would have to lift the roller through an arc complicating the mounting.) Anybody done this? Ideas?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ox

If you're talking about a log turner/clamp then Pineywoods has a proven design that he's shared with us a while ago.  It's a good thread.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Satamax

I think KelLOGg is talking about a toe board.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

kelLOGg

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

york

Albert

Ox

That's really weird.  Earlier this morning I read it and only saw clamp/turner.  Now I read it and it's obvious it's a toe board he's talking about.  Brain fart, I guess.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

47sawdust

I think the older style WM hyd. mills had a T shaped roller that went straight up.Marty Parsons might be able to help you with that.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

paul case

Quote from: Ox on June 05, 2016, 09:52:42 AM
That's really weird.  Earlier this morning I read it and only saw clamp/turner.  Now I read it and it's obvious it's a toe board he's talking about.  Brain fart, I guess.  :)
That's ok. I read through this thing and thought for a minute that Grouch made an index for your brain fart.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

kelLOGg

Quote from: DDW_OR on June 05, 2016, 11:46:20 AM
grouch made an index for that thread

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg1396274/topicseen.html#msg1396274

Thanks, I found Larry's topic and I do remember it but could have never found it w/o the "index". That was a significant effort that will pay off for many.
I think I will go with the arc path model like Larry's. His is very compact and I actually have more space to put it than he did.
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!