iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna AB Practica 61 (61 cc's)

Started by Mikeinkaty, June 05, 2016, 02:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeinkaty

I just wanted to say that I bought one of these saws about 1980 and it still purrs like a wildcat.  It has cut several hundred cords of wood in its lifetime.  I have no idea how many chains it has seen and it has used maybe 6 or 8 bars.    I believe it's on about its 4th spark plug.  Wore out 2 clutch's since new.   Still on the original filter (I clean it after each day of use).  It starts pretty easy and doesn't smoke.

Last week I fell and cut up a tall 30" diameter oak tree and it never missed a beat.    I Love it!!

Oh, I'm 74 years old. 

Mike

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawTroll

In case someone doesn't know, the Practica is the same saw as the white top 61 Rancher.

Welcome Mikeinkaty! :)

Information collector.

sawguy21

That is one of the most popular farm/ranch saws ever built. I would like to find one in decent shape locally.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mikeinkaty

Well, I must say that saw was one of the best investment I ever made.

I was a scoutmaster for many years and we sold firewood to earn money for a Colorado mountain trip every summer.   That activity accounted for its first 200 or so cords. Our winter camp outs were spent cutting firewood.   Then I sold hickory to local BBQ places for years.  Had my own wood lot so source was no problem.  Spent some of the best times of my life with that saw.

Made my own log splitter using a 18 hp Kohler engine but that's another story!

Mike

lumberjack48

I owned 5 or 6, 61 Husky's with the white top. I bought-em for the grew because they were cheap compared to the XP saws. I tried cutting with one, but i couldn't get the rpm out of them like i could the 162 or the 266. But i believe the white cover one had a smaller carb setup then the 61 with the orange top. I don't know this for sure, the white top had 3.6 hp, the other one had 4.1 hp.
They were and still are a dependable saw. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mikeinkaty

I weighed it today.  16 lbs, without the bar!!

I evened up the bar slot tops using a belt sander.  Quick and easy.   Gap was 0.07".

Muffler needed maintenance.  Managed to break one of the two bolts on top.  Couldn't get the nut off.  Local shop should have one if not I'll make one.  Spark arrestor screen was shot.   I will cut another out of SS screen wire.  Have it all soaking now and will repaint with high temp black paint.

Need to pull the clutch and clean up the oil pump.  But, it's flowing oil good.  Thought it was leaking but it was the oil cap.  Was going on crooked.   Will get another.

Cranking it is a chore.  I set it on the ground and hold it with my foot and pop the piston over 6 or 8 times with the choke out then pick it up and give it one big yank.  That usually gets a cough out of it then I push in the choke and it usually starts on the next big pull.   I think my 74 yr old body would appreciate compression release!   Also at my age I should have a chain brake.

Will get a new plug too and both tank filters.

Mike

sandsawmill14

i junked my 064 instead of rebuilding it because it didnt have a chain brake  :( they frown on using a saw without one now if you get caught or get cut :-\   we had a guy get his arm cut a couple years back and the workers comp guy had to come see the saw and make sure it had a chain brake and that it functioned properly first question they asked when he turned the claim in  ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Mikeinkaty

Got the muffler back on.   The shop I went to stopped carrying Husqvarna 3 months ago and did not have a muffler bolt.   I got a piece of metric SS all thread and made another.  Got a piece of SS screen cloth off an old kitchen strainer of about the right mesh for the spark arrestor.   That seems to work well.

Got the blade sharp and the teeths the same length.  The depth gauge heights were good.

So, heading back to OK in a couple of weeks to give it another workout.   There is a husky dealer close by up there.    Oh yeah, my impression is that South Texans do not like Husqvarna chain saws.  Just like they don't like pump rifles!!

Mike

SawTroll

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 12, 2016, 07:49:44 PM
I owned 5 or 6, 61 Husky's with the white top. I bought-em for the grew because they were cheap compared to the XP saws. I tried cutting with one, but i couldn't get the rpm out of them like i could the 162 or the 266. But i believe the white cover one had a smaller carb setup then the 61 with the orange top. I don't know this for sure, the white top had 3.6 hp, the other one had 4.1 hp.
They were and still are a dependable saw.
3.6 for the white top is correct, as far as I know. I have seen 4.1 for the orange top, but the spec. number usually was 3.9 (4.1 vs. 3.9 really is about 3.0 vs. 2.9 kW, and it is about rounded off numbers).
You are right that the carb size has something to do with it, but I'm not sure it explains it all.
Information collector.

sawguy21

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 13, 2016, 05:47:15 AM
i junked my 064 instead of rebuilding it because it didnt have a chain brake  :( they frown on using a saw without one now if you get caught or get cut :-\   we had a guy get his arm cut a couple years back and the workers comp guy had to come see the saw and make sure it had a chain brake and that it functioned properly first question they asked when he turned the claim in  ::)
Only if you are cutting under compensation rules. The early Practica did not have a chain brake, these were consumer saws and the feature was seen as an expensive and unnecessary frill by many. One of the dealerships I worked for handled Pioneer, we sold a boat load of 1074's and P-26's but couldn't give the P-28 (P-26 with chain brake and anti vibe) away.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tranabo_bjoern

I do not have the practica, but a 61 with orange top cover. Found it by chance on Ebay. Runs very smooth, cuts like hell, starts very easy. Love this saw. Run chisel chains.

Put about 50 hours on since I own it, run it occasionally.
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

630red

i have the grey top 61 what hp is it, think it was after white top and before orange top has chain brake.good saw but i would rather use my jonsered 630

SawTroll

Quote from: 630red on July 21, 2016, 05:15:56 PM
i have the grey top 61 what hp is it, think it was after white top and before orange top has chain brake.good saw but i would rather use my jonsered 630

You are right the gray top was between the white top and the orange top - but I never really found a power rating for those saws. Also, I don't think that the larger carb came at exactly the same time as the orange top cover (actually I don't think it did) - so I assume it may have varied with when the gray top in question was made.

Another possible issue with Husky 61 power rating is that the alleged just 3.6 hp of the white tops really are just a rumor, as I have never seen a rating for them in a Husky document - but it has been repeated so many times (also by me) that it may seems like it is a fact. It isn't really, as far as I know. 
Information collector.

630red

Thanks sawtroll could not find much info myself

Thank You Sponsors!