iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandsaw build?

Started by kenfrommaine, June 04, 2016, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfrommaine

Hi
Well I now have the steel , 18hp motor and band wheels and bearings. I am planning on making the uprights 5' tall and wondering how long to make the "feet" part with the wheels for the track. I was thinking around 30" long, does that seem long enough? Thanks for the input.
ken from Maine

dustyhat

It might be, when we put mine together i went to short , i could set my cutting speed as i wanted it but on the return i am fast and it didint take long before disaster bout happened ,my saw is very heavy and up high it would almost tip over .on return the hyd would make it pop a wheely coming back.

Ljohnsaw

My original "feet" were close to 5' long (my "tower" is 7' tall).  They weren't strong (flexed/twisted too much) so I rebuilt them and made them shorter.  They are now about 4'.  Probably could go shorter but I like the stability.  I've got a heavy 18hp twin on my head.  Recommend using ball bearing rollers.  I made nylon inserts for my cast iron wheels.  Worked pretty good and then I gave them a shot of Blue Creeper - now it moves like its on ice. 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

york

Albert

kenfrommaine

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to cross the T's and dot the I's before I start welding.
Great forum for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!