iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 359??

Started by caveman, June 04, 2016, 07:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Is the metal on a Husqvarna 359 capable of being welded?  Yesterday afternoon a small chunk of metal broke out of the saw where the dampener spring mounts the handle to the saw on the clutch side.  The saw runs well but I suspect the other mounting points would soon break if the saw is used without proper repair.

What are other options?
Thanks,
Caveman
Caveman

farmguy

If its aluminum it can be if its magniesm alloy no it cant. You can do a file test. Make a small pile of filings and put a torch to it. If it burns bright blue your out of luck

SawTroll

It is magnesium - but I believe that can be welded as well, with the right equipment and skills. If the piece that is broken off really is small, that is likely to be a showstopper though.

I suspect it will be a better option to find a parts saw where that halv of the case is intact.
Information collector.

caveman

I checked chainsawr's site to look for a case half and he was out of stock. I found one on ebay but I decided to try to JB weld a piece of steel that I cut out with a grinder and a saw into the spot that failed.  I do not really have any inclination to learn how to build a saw (2 stroke engine).  This one runs well and I hope this $5 fix will hold up.  If my fix does fail, I will look for a case half and certainly  for a lot of tips to not screw up when doing the repair.

My Kubota orange would not spray so I opted for John Deere green.  If it holds up, it will become orange.  I hope to give it a try tomorrow and see if it holds up to a few cuts.  I have to go out of town (Daytona Beach) for  a couple of days for work but I will update whether this repair worked or is an utter failure.
Caveman
Caveman

caveman

A little while ago a few test cuts were made after installing the chain catcher and the bar.  The saw seems more solid than it has in a while which leads me to believe the mounting area behind the chain catcher has probably been cracked for some time.  The JB weld repair seems to be okay so far.  Only time will tell how long it will hold up.
I am glad I do not need to buy a replacement saw although I would have been looking for a 562XP or a 372. 
Caveman
Caveman

caveman

My JB weld repair failed yesterday.  I noticed a vibration when cutting and after looking the metal around the handle mount on the clutch side of the saw failed.  I guess it is time to properly repair it or look for another saw.  The 359 is a good running saw and the one I usually reach for.  If anyone has a 359 or 357xp for parts and wants to make a few bucks and provide a percentage to the FF, let me know, I may be interested. 
Caveman

ladylake

How about a little longer metal plate with a couple of machine screws holding it in place, either tapped or all the way through with nuts if there's room.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

caveman

That is a good idea Steve, thank you.  I will take a look and see if there is room to add some screws.  If I end up repairing it again I will post pictures in case someone else can benefit.  I doubt I will have time to mess with it this week. 
Caveman

mike_belben

Devcon A2 is a much better epoxy.  I have used it inside ports, in crankcases, have machined it for fasteners. 

Really need to remove all paint then chisel the bonding area for tooth.  I sharpen a nail and poke divots all over.  When it feels like cheese grater you got it.
Praise The Lord

caveman

Thank you for the suggestion on the Devcon 2. 
Caveman

mike_belben

Im sorry i said devcon A2 and it should have been F2.. The liquid aluminum.  Its quite expensive but will last for years. 
Praise The Lord

caveman

I epoxied the piece back in but used a lot more epoxy this time and reinforced it with fiberglass cloth.  I ran about a tank through the saw yesterday and it felt good.  I do not know if this will prove to be a more durable repair than last time.  The area that the metal broke would have been challenging to add machine screws.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!