iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you know what this is?

Started by Tam-i-am, June 02, 2016, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

This morning I found this in my driveway.  I know nothing about trees or the things that harm them (that is Kevin's job) but I have never seen anything like this.
Even my go to guy Kevin had never seen anything like this.  When I picked it up it appeared to be so full and fluffy but by the time I got it inside, Kevin inspected it and took its pic it was already not looking as fluffy and white.

I thought for sure it was some kind of bug as there are perfectly round holes in the leaves.  I decided to break it open and it looks like seeds.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Gary_C

Not a clue. Are you close to Area 51?

Been using the microwave a lot?

:D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tam-i-am

nope and nope.

I am a little worried about what I will find when I get home tonight. :D

Gary_C

Any white oaks in the neighborhood?

I suspect the seed pod is just an attachment from something else.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ox

I've seen those sometime in the distant past, too.  I can't remember any details, either.  Just so's ya know ya ain't the only one!  ;) :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Tam-i-am

OMG look what popped out of that fuzzy ball!

Just kidding! :D :D :D

Yes, the ball/growth thing is on a white oak branch.

I guess I'm going to have to stick it in a jar and see what comes out of it for real.

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Tam-i-am

Thanks for the answer.

What a cool little wasp!

Ox

Very interesting.  Darn eggs look like seeds and this is what I remember confusing me years ago.  I love learning new things!  Good thread, Tamiam.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Tam-i-am

The eggs look and feel just like seeds and confused me as well.  Since the insect causes the tree to mutate to make the gall it also tricks it into making the  egg casings as well.

I found this after brendonv told me what it was.

http://www.the-understory.com/2012/06/07/the-incredible-emergence-of-the-wool-sower-gall-wasp/

Ox

It would appear an insect has been messing with mother nature long before humans, huh?  Kinda like that wasp that gets in the goldenrod and then the plant makes a big ball around it for a little nest.

I'm so thankful for the internet.  I've learned so much and saved my family so much money it's amazing.  If not for modern technology I'd still be that stupid, ignorant farmboy on the hill............  Hmmmm.  Part of that is still probably true.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!