iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roof for pizza oven

Started by Czech_Made, June 01, 2016, 02:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czech_Made

Years ago I built a pizza oven in our backyard, this is an old picture, over the time the heat and rain and snow and frost cracked the dome and it needs to be repaired.

But before I start on that, I have to make some kind of a roof, I figured never hurts to ask for ideas, right?

I am considering different options such as:

- four short wooden posts standing on the base corners and A shaped roof
- four wooden posts on the ground and A shaped roof
- two posts in the middle of each side and a slant roof in between tilting to the back

Small and simple timber frame would compliment the oven nicely, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Jim_Rogers

There is a "bread oven" roof/frame in the plan book sold by the Timber Framers Guild.

It is about 10' square.
Four post and English tying joints for roof.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Czech_Made

Thank you, sir, I will look it up.

Randy_J

I am a fan of the shed style roof for pizza ovens. I have mine set up so that it is very unlikely to get tain in the oven entry.  I know it is not timber but still a design that could be used.

Randy

Heartwood

Here's a couple that we've done. We drilled & epoxied anchors into the oven platform and used white oak sills that had the top surface sloped to the outside.
We also cover our ovens during the winter with a tarp.

Dave Shepard

I like the idea of a larger roof so that you can make pizza in the rain.  ;D The best pizza around comes out of the Heartwood School pizza oven. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Czech_Made

Quote from: Heartwood on February 19, 2017, 09:42:20 AM
Here's a couple that we've done. We drilled & epoxied anchors into the oven platform and used white oak sills that had the top surface sloped to the outside.
We also cover our ovens during the winter with a tarp.

This is what I am thinking.

Randy_J

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 19, 2017, 10:26:28 AM
I like the idea of a larger roof so that you can make pizza in the rain.  ;D The best pizza around comes out of the Heartwood School pizza oven. :)

It is a very good idea to have a larger roof so that you can cook in bad weather. You are right on as to the food that comes out of a properly built oven, it is fantastic.  Also they can do much more than just pizza. You can do just about anything you want to.

Randy

Raider Bill

Quote from: Randy_J on February 20, 2017, 05:54:21 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 19, 2017, 10:26:28 AM

It is a very good idea to have a larger roof so that you can cook in bad weather. You are right on as to the food that comes out of a properly built oven, it is fantastic.  Also they can do much more than just pizza. You can do just about anything you want to.

Randy

That's a fine looking tomahawk!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

D L Bahler

I agree with those suggesting to build an 'oversized roof' and i'd go so far as to suggest building an actual building.

All over Europe you'll find old oven houses, the design I like the best has a large oven occupying part of a building, with the front portion ofthe building being the work space where your pizza/bread or whatever you're baking is prepared so it can be used all year round in any weather.

Here's an old oven house from Switzerland

rjwoelk

I was thinking a large gazebo with the oven in the middle or one side then benches around the outside,  chat up a storm with friends and neighbors, family and eat all good foods. ;D
Ok except grits.  ;)
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Czech_Made

Love it!  Thanks for sharing  :) :)

Quote from: D L Bahler on March 01, 2017, 01:40:06 AM
I agree with those suggesting to build an 'oversized roof' and i'd go so far as to suggest building an actual building.

All over Europe you'll find old oven houses, the design I like the best has a large oven occupying part of a building, with the front portion ofthe building being the work space where your pizza/bread or whatever you're baking is prepared so it can be used all year round in any weather.

Here's an old oven house from Switzerland

Thank You Sponsors!