iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular Mill

Started by AlaskaMan31, May 31, 2016, 10:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaMan31

Hello everyone ! I was wondering if anyone knew where to acquire a set of circle mill plans? I have scoured the net and cant seem to find any for sale. I can find tons on Band Saw mills but not a single one on Circle Mills. Any help would be great.

Czech_Made

Friend of mine has one like this:

Home builts like that are quite common in Czech Republic.  Sorry, no plans :(

Kbeitz

Now that looks like it could be dangerous ...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 01, 2016, 09:57:55 AM
Now that looks like it could be dangerous ...

No doubts,  it has been years since I helped him rip some larch, but safety is basically to stay out of the way of the blade.

Big circular saw blades are much more common in Czech, people in the country would much more likely own buzzssaw than chainsaw.

Hiway40frank

That thing looks awsome I just would not use it. Its a big skill saw and my worry is kickback if that blade does thet rolly/carrige is going right into your man parts...

starmac

Not sure what part of Ak you are in, but someone around GlennAllen tried to sell a complete old circle mill for several months last year for 1500 bucks. It is likely to still be there and would be hard to build one for that price.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

StoddardLumber

What kind of circular mill? Do you have any parts or pieces to work with?

AlaskaMan31

Quote from: StoddardLumber on June 01, 2016, 11:37:18 PM
What kind of circular mill? Do you have any parts or pieces to work with?

I found one on Youtube called a Dixon Sawmill. That is the kind of Sawmill I would like to build or something similar. The only thing I don't want is the tractor hookup. I want to have an actual stationary motor incorporated into the build. I was hoping to find a book or set of plans to get me pointed in the right direction. I don't mind spending some money building something nice and as safe as possible. My goal is to build it once and use it for years to come. My biggest goal for building one is so I am familiar with all aspects of the mill and can fix / replace anything that may wear out or break. I am totally new to milling (treating this as a hobby for now) but I sure don't mind spending the years learning how to mill right. I have used the good ol' Alaska mill but I'm always worried about the wear and tear on my Stihl.

AlaskaMan31

Quote from: starmac on June 01, 2016, 11:13:33 PM
Not sure what part of Ak you are in, but someone around GlennAllen tried to sell a complete old circle mill for several months last year for 1500 bucks. It is likely to still be there and would be hard to build one for that price.

We live near Wasilla. Do you know where this saw was posted? Contact info? Could definitely be worth a look

starmac

It kept popping up on craigslist over a period of 6 months or so. It was powered by a 300 six ford, which was bad, however they had an old bronco with a 300 six in it that went with the saw.

I used to search for sawmills on craigs list pretty regularly, quite a few mills popped up, there was also a mobile dimensional with a bad track that kept popping up at Delta for short money.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

If I had to use that saw it would have rollers on the top and bottom of the track.
Then I would run a third track of rack and pinion with a anti kick back paw running
on the top of the rack. This way it could not move backwards without lifting the paw.
No kickback.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Heck of a lot of engineering in building an old style circle mill like that. And it needs to be SOLID, because you are moving the whole log around on the moving carriage.

I suspect thats why you don't see many home built one. Because a band saw can be much more compact, cheaper, simpler and easier to build, and less of a learning curve for a  new sawyer.

If you do want a mill like that, as suggested, look for an old one that you can rebuild, If it's just a few parts that need to be rebuilt or found, and you can hook up a stationary engine to it, it's a practical project. Building one from scratch would be a major mission.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!