iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which end to cut first?

Started by ray299, May 30, 2016, 02:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

Quick question... I'm preparing to make my jack attachment... When setting the log up on the band saw mill, which end should you start the cut on- smaller or larger end? And why? Thanks!!!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen both, and sometimes even one that had mixed ends (random).

Is this a horizontal band blade mill?  If so, how does the freshly cut piece get removed?  Oftentimes it is easier to remove if the large end is closest tot he start of the saw, assuming that the lumber is manually removed from that end of the saw.  With a  vertical saw, which location will handle short pieces better?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

The log will only saw out what the top end will produce so I like the top end toward the front unless it is really (too) big and I need to be absolutely sure that the blade guides, etc. will pass.

For me it is much easier to level a log that has the top end toward me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

It makes no never mind for me.  Whichever way she lands is how she gets sawed.  But given a choice, I'd prefer small end first for the same reasons Magicman said.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2016, 04:31:35 PM
The log will only saw out what the top end will produce so I like the top end toward the front unless it is really (too) big and I need to be absolutely sure that the blade guides, etc. will pass.

WHAt MM says X 2

I can saw from either end but I find it quicker from the small end cause I don't second guess my cuts as much. The laser does help that but it is still quicker sawing from the small end I find.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

scsmith42

I too saw from either end but find that small end towards me is quicker in terms of production.  Plus, on Tom's Baker mill by having the big end at the far end of the cut the board drag back fingers work better.

If I have the small end at the far end and it has a lot of taper, sometimes the slab offcut gets pinched between the dragback fingers and the cant.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

btulloh

Small end first is good and it seems to be more common, but since I have to finagle a toe board with jacks and stuff it's easier to put the big end first.  Things get a little cramped near the head end otherwise.  I've gotten used to cutting the big end firstt, so it seems normal now.  It's just a function of the smaller mill without the built in toe boards.
HM126

YellowHammer

I prefer small end toward me so I don't forget to drop the toe board because I'm looking right at it. 
Large end toward me when clearance is a problem. 
In reality, I saw them how they land on the log deck. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ray299

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on May 30, 2016, 06:26:06 PM
Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2016, 04:31:35 PM

WHAt MM says X 2

I can saw from either end but I find it quicker from the small end cause I don't second guess my cuts as much. The laser does help that but it is still quicker sawing from the small end I find.

Laser? That's a good idea... I haven't seen one of those on a home made build yet. I was just planning on going off the measuring tape scale I'm putting on the side... I'll have to look into putting a laser on too. 8)

ray299

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 31, 2016, 12:31:02 AM
I prefer small end toward me so I don't forget to drop the toe board because I'm looking right at it. 
Large end toward me when clearance is a problem. 
In reality, I saw them how they land on the log deck.
What is a toe board? Is that the part that lifts the small end of the log to center it horizontally?

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

derhntr

I cut them how they fall. But I have 2 toe boards one in front and one on rear. If cutting for my self I try and deck logs with small end toward front of mill. But sawing mobile I don't get that option many times. as the logs are already stacked or laid out when I arrive.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Bandmill Bandit

I cut em how ever they land on the deck too! Cept I load the deck and they only fit one way on my deck. I actually think most logs are left handed. The small end is always to my left sitting on the tractor.  ;D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ray299

thanks everyone for your input!

OlJarhead

On my SMLT10 I used to saw big end first since my jack was on the far end.  Today I can do either thanks to the two hydraulic tow boards but I too like the small end first as it's easier to see the cant I want to make from that end since it's key to what the log will yield.

Biggest log I've sawn was over 36" at the base (and far end) and it took some gun barrelling to get it down to size to fit the mill head past but what I did was run the mill down to the big end and check clearance, then roll as needed, mill and do it again.  Took time but worked.

I also find it's harder to forget to lower the toe board when it's closer to me ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

petefrom bearswamp

Im with Yellowhammer.
When I use the farther toe board I tend to forget to lower it and make some nice wedges
Plus it seems easier to my way of thinking to visualize the log and box the heart.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

killamplanes

I like small end toward me but the interesting logs are shaped just like a giant egg.  Those are the ones feared the most even with hyd toe boards etc.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I used to request that my customers stack their logs with the small ends to the right, that way when I pulled up to that same side of the stack, the small end would be closest to the blade!

I then got to where it didn't really matter and so I don't care which end is first as long as I can use my toe boards!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Carson-saws

Also depends on who your tailer is.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Magicman

My "tail gunner" on my present job will not bring a log to the sawmill without the top end being on his left.  He has watched me so much that he knows which way is faster.  I love having good help.   ;D

killamplanes

U are lucky mm, good help that pays attention is very rare in these parts :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Magicman

"Gabby" is my all time best.  Smart, strong, and knows my every move.  If anything is amiss, he will instantly make a move and let me know. 

jaygtree

when you ''level'' the log are you leveling the top of the log or are you leveling the pith?   thanks.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Bandmill Bandit

I try to level to the pith BUT the pith is not always centre. if The pith is off too much I will sorta split the difference and even then you get some nasty lumber outa those trees.

Thank You Sponsors!